• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008 edited
    I agree that there should have been new stuff. It´s just that I personally thought it worked rather well compared to the other tracked stuff. For me, it´s one of the most intense action scenes of the movie because the music works so fine in the context.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I agree that there should have been new stuff. It´s just that I personally thought it worked rather well compared to the other tracked stuff. For me, it´s one of the most intense action scenes of the movie because the music works so fine in the context.

But there must be another way that they could have scored it, with new music, that would work... I believe just abut anything is possible with John Williams, and I really think he could have created different music for the scene which would have fit just as well as you herald Duel of the Fates to fit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2008 edited
    As I said, I agree there should have been new music. All I said was that DotF worked for me.
    On the other hand, I had a lot of problems with most of the new action stuff Williams wrote, especially for Episodes 2 and 3. So I´m quite happy with the actual choice. tongue
  1. From what I know, didn't williams intend Dual of the fates to be the signature piece of the Prequald trilogy the same way the force/lukes theme was the signature piece of the original trilogy?
    Please Correct Me If I'm wrong Erik. I Personally thought Duel Of the Fates worked great in Episode 3, as the title suggested, it was truly a duel of the fates, but it was just lifted striaght, without any refinement by williams, which was dissapointing for me!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    From what I know, didn't williams intend Dual of the fates to be the signature piece of the Prequald trilogy the same way the force/lukes theme was the signature piece of the original trilogy?
    Please Correct Me If I'm wrong Erik. I Personally thought Duel Of the Fates worked great in Episode 3, as the title suggested, it was truly a duel of the fates, but it was just lifted striaght, without any refinement by williams, which was dissapointing for me!

Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoyed hearing Duel Of The Fates in EP3 as it's used well in the scene. But when it first started playing when I was watching the movie, in all honesty I did think "oh...ok...this again...".
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008 edited
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    From what I know, didn't williams intend Dual of the fates to be the signature piece of the Prequald trilogy the same way the force/lukes theme was the signature piece of the original trilogy?

But, you see, Duel of the Fates isn't just a theme, but an entire piece. It's not like Williams actually took the theme out of the Duel of the Fates piece, stuck it in a different musical setting, with a different orchestration, a different tempo, and maybe a different key. What happened for Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith wasn't a continuation of the theme from Duel of the Fates, but rather a continuation of Duel of the Fates, itself.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    Hardly... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Hardly... rolleyes

Hardly what? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008 edited
    I am currently going nuts over Williams' Hook. It's a good score, not my favorite, but the main theme is excellent! I think I like it the most when played in Remembering Childhood, from 8:47 to the end. Really beautiful string and brass stuff, and very adventurous! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good score? Well that's certainly an understatement! dizzy

Glad you're enjoying it though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Good score? Well that's certainly an understatement! dizzy

Yes, I tend to make a lot of understatements, at least by you and Erik's standards. tongue biggrin

Steven wrote
    Glad you're enjoying it though.

Yep. It's awesome! smile punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I suppose our definitions of awesome somewhat differ from time to time. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    I suppose our definitions of awesome somewhat differ from time to time. wink

I guess... biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I am currently going nuts over Williams' Hook. It's a good score, not my favorite, but the main theme is excellent! I think I like it the most when played in Remembering Childhood, from 8:47 to the end. Really beautiful string and brass stuff, and very adventurous! punk

Methinks it's FREAKING AWESOME! One of my favourite Pirate scores!! punk
  2. Here here! Hook is film music in its purest form, it works brilliant in the film and is a joy to listen to outside of it. I cannot begin to express my admiration for both the movie and score. Yes that's right, I like this movie because the score is perfectly glued to it. The movie just digs up all kinds of emotions in me since 1991 until this day.

Hook punk Nuff said.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    The movie just digs up all kinds of emotions in me since 1991 until this day.

Me too. vomit
  3. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The movie just digs up all kinds of emotions in me since 1991 until this day.

Me too. vomit

You see I never understood how come people hate this movie. I've loved it ever since I was a kid, it's a personal Spielberg favorite, but I admit the music helps a lot in feeling for the characters. And who can not like Dustin Hoffman for his awesome portrayal of El Capitan? Cranks me up big time. Robin Williams is great too.

And for the record: I never ever ever wanna grow old, YUCK !!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I must admit I only watched it once, but I pretty much despised it. I am a mellower person these days so I guess I might enjoy it more, but I am also now over twice as old as the target audience whereas when I saw it the first time I was in the target audience!
  4. Well I was sixteen when first seeing it in the theatre, supposedly out of the fairytale phase, but I was definitely a kid, and I've been one for a long long time. In fact, I still have those childlike moments to this date, where I like to cherish the past and think how everything was better than now. I'm just a big nostalgic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008 edited
    I used to love it as a kid, I mean right up there with Star Wars and Indy, but watching it now I can see much of its faults and shortcomings (so one is not blinded by nostalgia even if a certain member thinks it so tongue ). The score has stuck with me since childhood, truly one of those magical scores that will forever hold a special place in my heart. love

This is partly why I'm surprised at William's "It's a good score, not my favorite" comment. I'm also surprised because it happens to be a truly magnificent score! Still each to their own, and to be fair he's only had it for a few days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I was already way too old to fall into Hook's target demographic, but I do appreciate a lot of aspects. The film is absolutely lovely right up to the Goonies...Er... I mean Lost Boys, with Dustin Hoffman pretty much carrying the rest of the film. A three-star effort I would say, though had Spielberg been able to retain the tone and feel of the beginning (like the kidnapping scene and Granny Wendy) it would so have been 5 stars!

The score is one of my favourite Williams' scores, with Hooknapped being the penultimate pirate music (there's wind, roaring seas, and the sound of sails and the jolly roger being hoisted all in that brief piece of magical menace), more diverse and thematic than 99% of any soundtrack material written since (Ya, I'm lumping 20 years together. Happily.) with a scope and sense of abandon that I can only describe as exuberant.
    I bloody love this score, and would without a second thought that wasn't entirely vernacular or linguistic in intent subscribe to the epiteth awesome to be employed against it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

I bloody love this score, and would without a second thought that wasn't entirely vernacular or linguistic in intent subscribe to the epiteth awesome to be employed against it.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Then used a thesaurus.
  5. Its good, but not that good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Claret.
    I tell ya.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Oh just go and listen to some seven years in tibet, now that IS a cracking (and under played) score
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Seven Years is nice, but rather monothematic...not to mention monotonous.
    It's not a Williams score that gets many plays from me.
  7. Seven Years in Tibet is a very underrated score, and a solid 4 stars effort, because the theme is classic Williams gorgeousness. But I admit it doesn't get nearly as many whirls as Hook.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Well I was sixteen when first seeing it in the theatre, supposedly out of the fairytale phase, but I was definitely a kid, and I've been one for a long long time. In fact, I still have those childlike moments to this date, where I like to cherish the past and think how everything was better than now. I'm just a big nostalgic.

When I watched the film for the very first time, in the theatre, I was... 3 years old !

And I can remember it as if it was yesterday !

The score printed in my mind, but I guess when you're 3 years old it's the case for almost everything...

Now, I think the film is quite bad (it was cool until Robin Williams became Pan)... But the score is still, and will be forever, AMAZING...
  9. Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Now, I think the film is quite bad (it was cool until Robin Williams became Pan)... But the score is still, and will be forever, AMAZING...

Ok I respect your opinion when not liking the film but doesn't the music make the movie better at all? Me and my brother are the same in that respect: we tend to like movies more if there's a good soundtrack playing underneath it. We cannot and will not separate the music from the movie, because the music (if it's good) is the beating heart, so brilliant music will always affect me in the film, regardless of irregularities or weirdness in the film, which Hook has none of IMO. And Pan being an adult was the whole idea behind it, I thought it made for a much more interesting take than just retreading the old story. Now if you have a problem with Robin Williams playing that part, okay, but I thougth he played it exceptionally well. I've always liked him in dramatic roles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, keeping in mind that the very original inception of the film was as an operetta, and Williams started work on it in that vein, I'm not surprised the music is as all encompassing as it is!!