• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Tracked music from The Phantom Menace score as heard in The Phantom Menace. They even did it in Revenge Of The Sith If memory serves. All three of the prequels have some of the messiest and worse music editing I've ever heard.

Ha yes! Duel Of The Fates when they're using the grappling hooks to scale the building in TPM....it just cuts out! biggrin

Just popped in the DVD to see that scene. Wow, you're right! Absolutely terrible! vomit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Seven Years in Tibet is a very underrated score, and a solid 4 stars effort, because the theme is classic Williams gorgeousness. But I admit it doesn't get nearly as many whirls as Hook.

Seven Years is lovely and indeed underrated imo.

As for HOOK the film isn't one I'd revisit again, a big misfire from Spielberg though it could have been worse, yes, worse if, as was rumoured at the time, that Michael Jackson was to star!?

The score, of course, is GREAT! If I had to pick a standout track it would be 'You Are The Pan'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I used to love it as a kid, I mean right up there with Star Wars and Indy, but watching it now I can see much of its faults and shortcomings (so one is not blinded by nostalgia even if a certain member thinks it so tongue ).

That's because you are emotionally more inclined to your teenage years rather than your childhood: P
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    I used to love it as a kid, I mean right up there with Star Wars and Indy, but watching it now I can see much of its faults and shortcomings (so one is not blinded by nostalgia even if a certain member thinks it so tongue ).

That's because you are emotionally more inclined to your teenage years rather than your childhood: P

But my favourite films like Star Wars, Indy, Back To The Future, Terminator, Jurassic Park etc. weren't films from my teenage years. I'm emotionally inclined to many films from many periods of my life. And there's a strange connection between all of them; they're all great films! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Either that or those periods of your life are in fact greater for you than the actual quality of the films tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You know what, you're absolutely right! They're all crap films now I think of it. I must have been having an orgasm all the way through each of them... even as a kid. That's the only explanation!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You know i was kidding wink apart from Terminator tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    What about Terminator 2? That's a pretty darn perfect action sci-fi film. The special effects still look good to this day, and that's simply because there are special. Special effects in those days were used sparingly, and that means a lot of thought went in to where and how those special effects were used. It's obviously true to say that special effects are better these days than they were in past, but there is also something to be said about the way special effects are used.

And let's not forget the script! It's fantastic. (Although the kid, John Connor, can be an annoying brat in some scenes.) rolleyes
  1. T2 = The penultimate action film, really nothing wrong with it, except for one flaw: after 2 and a half hours you are thrown back into reality and realize Schwarzenegger is not really a cyborg, and that liquid metal is not deadly.

I love that film, also from my youth, so you could say I've romanticized its existence into the most kickass film it really is. You know what, screw that, it is kickass and will always remain that way to me.

And Hook is awesome entertainment as well. IMHO.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Terminator is a classic too. But I've always preferred Terminator 2, perhaps because it was the first one I saw, but probably because it's the better film. 5 stars all the way!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    To my mind, it isn't: I love the claustrophobic, dark, unrelenting nihilism of the original. None of the sequels matched that as far as I'm concerned (especially as Arnie was contractually obligated to only have Hero roles...and he was SO good as the unstoppable killing machine).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008 edited
    I love all that too, great stuff. Quite a seedy film! But I'm a sucker for Arnie the Hero and the relationships that evolved from it, and I'm a sucker for the Terminator Vs. Terminator aspect of T2.

I love 'em both though, the whole Terminator world continues to fascinate me. It's gonna happen, Skynet will reign supreme! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    To my mind, it isn't: I love the claustrophobic, dark, unrelenting nihilism of the original. None of the sequels matched that as far as I'm concerned (especially as Arnie was contractually obligated to only have Hero roles...and he was SO good as the unstoppable killing machine).

Agree! T2 comprimised the character and we had all that "uncle Bob" shit! The original is a classic and took no prisoners.

However, T2 is, like ALIENS compared to ALIEN, the far more watchable and entertaining film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008
    Check out the two video links below, taken from the Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures video game. In the first clip, listen to the music starting at 2:03, and in the second one, 3:59. In the second one, there's lots of other music I don't recognize, but I'm pretty darn sure the music starting at 3:59 isn't anywhere to be found in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The music at 2:03 seems to be a variation on the theme from Anything Goes, but is more action-packed, and jazzy. Am I mistaken, or was this music never used in the Indiana Jones films? Is this even John Williams' music, in the first place? confused

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNgKWEApUws
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlaTLmyCL8
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    They could be from the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    They could be from the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

-Erik-

Ah, see, I haven't seen those, so I wouldn't know... But you're probably right. Did John Williams write music for those?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik's right. When I played the game there was a fair bit of music I didn't recognise, but a quick look at the credits said music was used from the three movies and the Young Indy Chronicles. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Erik's right. When I played the game there was a fair bit of music I didn't recognise, but a quick look at the credits said music was used from the three movies and the Young Indy Chronicles. wink

Thanks! beer
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Unfortunately they're all well OOP, it would have been nice for Varese to issue a box of the 4cds and maybe a bonus disc of some unreleased stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008 edited
    tjguitar wrote
    Unfortunately they're all well OOP, it would have been nice for Varese to issue a box of the 4cds and maybe a bonus disc of some unreleased stuff.

I agree! Is there any chance of this still being released? I highly doubt they would...
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    there's always a chance, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    What versions of the Star Wars soundtracks (the original trilogy) are the best?

I've just ordered the deluxe editions (the covers which look like this), but now I've come accross another set that look like this.

Now I see the RCA Victor versions came out in the late 90's, and the Sony Classical ones came out in 2004. Is there any difference between them (aside from the covers?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not that you would notice, no. The Sony Classical is supposed to be improved sound, but honestly you have to be extremely anal to notice the difference. I'd choose the RCA set, better artwork!

The best sounding Star Wars OST you will be buy is the Anthology set, and they make great albums. Depends on whether you want the full scores or the best sound? Being the Star Wars freak that I am, I couldn't live without both of them.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Eh, I just want the music from Star Wars. tongue

How much better does the Anthology set sound? confused
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    This puts the score to shame. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Eh, I just want the music from Star Wars. tongue

Well that's what I'm saying!!! You either opt for the full score or you get the anthology set which doesn't have all the music, but does have the best sound. (And they do make great albums.)

How much better does the Anthology set sound? confused

A lot better. Warmer, richer sound. I would seriously start off with the Anthology set if I were you... but more importantly, YOU HAVEN'T GOT THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS SCORES YET!? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Anthology is fine but leaves out a LOT of classic music. I would go for the 2-CD sets first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The reason I suggest the Anthology is it's probably the easiest version of the Star Wars soundtracks to appreciate as they do provide a very good album presentation of the music not to mention the sound quality. If you like what you hear, move onto the full scores.

Take what advice you will.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If you don't like what you hear, then frankly what's the point of being alive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've learned not to underestimate Anthony's pessimism.