• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    tjguitar wrote
    Maybe Williams doesn't need the money to go on a long ass flight to some event in Europe? The dude has the right to do what he wishes. It has nothing to do with the world's borders "ending around the US". But the majority of his films were American productions, which shouldn't be ignored. Williams is pretty much retired and should be able to do what he wishes with his time---it's not like he tours all of America's symphonies---he does the occasional concerts in Boston where he used to be an employee. That's it.

I bet he took long-ass journeys to Europe dozens of times before, for other reasons; and with today's standards, nothing is "long-ass". Within a day, you're everywhere you wish. The least you can do to pay the slightest of honorary thanks to a large part of the people that elevated you to God status, is to pay them a visit.

Once upon a time this is exactly what he did, flying in and out of London regularly to record scores and even giving the odd concert here and there but as much as I'd love him to come and do a concert again ( please please PLEASE!!! ) the man has given his all for our pleasure and has more than earned the right to take it easy.

Couldn't have said it better, Timmer!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008
    Since I've been away for a while , has the Gent concert been on telly yet ?
    I kept one eye on the program guides all this time but I haven't noticed anything in the listings ... :o(
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  1. Eric wrote
    Since I've been away for a while , has the Gent concert been on telly yet ?
    I kept one eye on the program guides all this time but I haven't noticed anything in the listings ... :o(

It hasn't been on telly and it seems you can only see it when you're a Belgacom subscriber

I'm going to see if it is available at buying a copy from their recording, if not it is bloody world war III crazy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I have two friends who are Belgacom TV subscribers , I'll ask them if they can play and record it for me . I just found it at the Belgacom 'On Request' catalogue . You can choose the HD version or the regular one it seems . To be continued ... I hope ... wink
  2. Eric wrote
    I have two friends who are Belgacom TV subscribers , I'll ask them if they can play and record it for me . I just found it at the Belgacom 'On Request' catalogue . You can choose the HD version or the regular one it seems . To be continued ... I hope ... wink

I hope you can record it, if you request something now most of the times it is copyrighted so you can't record it, that's the shite around the Telenet movie network (which is pretty stupid considering you pay for the bloody thing)

anyhoo, keep me posted, I'm going to make a call to the Belgacom helpdesk and ask them if it's possible to get a copy of it, I'll pay gladly for it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I remember my friend saying something that there's a way around that anti recording thing .
    I just dropped him a line on his email addy .
    I'll shurely keep you posted on my progress ... wink
  3. Eric wrote
    I remember my friend saying something that there's a way around that anti recording thing .
    I just dropped him a line on his email addy .
    I'll shurely keep you posted on my progress ... wink

ooohhhh, if you know how tell me
    who knows it works for the bloody Telenet as well shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I don't know how to do it myself , but as soon as I know - you'll know ...
    Oh , I almost forgot to say ...
    Good luck with the Belgacom helpdesk ... you'll probably need it ... wink
  4. I think Belgacom will just refuse to give out copies of the concert, even if paid for. They would just say, go and become a Belgacom TV subscriber. angry

Eric, if you could help us that would totally rock. Thomas is my brother and we both went to see the thing live, but having a recording of it would be simply awesome, as the whole evening was just that...

We could then send out copies to the whole maintitles gang. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. On this matter of why john williams doesn't give European concerts, given the US dollar is as weak as it is, I can well understand why money would be no incentive for him to do a concert overseas. As well, many people at Williams' age count every second away from their families as time lost.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. I just finally saw the movie Heartbeeps the other day. Good score, but I'm still shocked that John Williams had anything to do with that film during the early 80's.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    I just finally saw the movie Heartbeeps the other day. Good score, but I'm still shocked that John Williams had anything to do with that film during the early 80's.

Well, he also did MONSIGNOR which if the reviews I've read are anything to go by was utter garbage. I love the score and have avoided the film because of that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    I just finally saw the movie Heartbeeps the other day. Good score, but I'm still shocked that John Williams had anything to do with that film during the early 80's.

Well, he also did MONSIGNOR which if the reviews I've read are anything to go by was utter garbage. I love the score and have avoided the film because of that.

Well, MONSIGNOR is a 100 times better than HEARTBEEPS. The latter is simply a curious anomaly in Williams' career, at a time where one would normally expect just A list assignments for him.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    DreamTheater wrote
    I think Belgacom will just refuse to give out copies of the concert, even if paid for. They would just say, go and become a Belgacom TV subscriber. angry

Eric, if you could help us that would totally rock. Thomas is my brother and we both went to see the thing live, but having a recording of it would be simply awesome, as the whole evening was just that...

Yes please!
    Good luck with the Belgacom thing, I really hope it works out.
  7. fommes wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I think Belgacom will just refuse to give out copies of the concert, even if paid for. They would just say, go and become a Belgacom TV subscriber. angry

Yes please!
    Good luck with the Belgacom thing, I really hope it works out.

if it doesn't work, I'll start a FACEBOOK chapter, Kill Belgacom and praise Maintitles biggrin
  8. Group?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or KILL FACEBOOK itself. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yay! cheesy
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Group?

yep, I mean something like a Facebrook group
  10. DO IT! biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. PawelStroinski wrote
    DO IT! biggrin

I haven't made the call yet, who knows some idiot will pick up the phone and give it to me? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I'm still waiting for a word from my friend ...
    I think I'm gonna hassle him some more ... lol
    He isn't the fastest when it comes to doing something like that ...
    I always have to give him another wee push ... biggrin
  12. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Grimble Gromble wrote

Well, MONSIGNOR is a 100 times better than HEARTBEEPS. The latter is simply a curious anomaly in Williams' career, at a time where one would normally expect just A list assignments for him.

I agree. Monsignor is a decent film with a very nice score by Williams. No need to avoid the film like the plague. But Heartbeeps...was the director his cousin or something or did he owe someone a favor because that film was just akward. I get what they were trying to do, but it just didn't come off well.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2009
    John Williams has completed his Viola concerto, and begins work on a Harp concerto:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 … 6&cs=1

Now in his 77th year, it seems to me that Williams is becoming increasingly aware of his legacy and attempting to fill in the gaps by completing his "cycle" of concertos for virtually every instrument of the orchestra.

I am so impressed with this man, his recent Duo Concertante for violin and viola (his first published chamber work ever) was a breathtaking masterpiece unlike anything he has ever done before!

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is the Duo Concertante recording available?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    http://cdbaby.com/cd/romanulzaretsky

Its damn expensive, but absolutely worth the price to me. smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009
    Does anybody else here adore the sneakily evil motif for Panama Hat in The Last Crusade? It's final appearance at the end of The Boat Scene gives me chills. Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    It's a simple yet effective motif that works well. I like it! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009
    No one mentioned that it was John T Williams birthday on the 8th February, he's 77 yrs old and long may he continue. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2009
    How could we forget that ?!

A belated Happy Birthday John ...

punk