• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009
    There was a lot of talk/rumours for some time that they're considering to get Williams back for DH. I think they're waiting to see what reception the sixth score gets (for which reason apparently they're releasing a massive soundtrack CD of it) and will then decide whether or not to go for JW or retain Hooper. Fingers crossed for JW though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Hi Ravi,

I want to know that is there any possibility of releasing "Half Blood Prince" score album in India? Because from "Prisoner of Azakaban" to "Order of the Phoenix", i haven't seen any official release in India.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    So far I've not seen ANY score CD in stores around here. tongue

I guess our best option is to buy online if you have a credit card.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Uh! for that, we have to spend more money. Is it not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Of course. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Oops! then i should drop that idea. I should find some other way. wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009 edited
    PREMIERE CD UNCOVERS AN EARLY DRAMATIC GEM FROM JOHN WILLIAMS

NONE BUT THE BRAVE (1965)

Film Score Monthly presents the first-ever release of the famed film composer’s None But the Brave, an ambitiously broad and majestic 1960s score that will delight fans

Linden, VA – June 18, 2009 – An important dramatic score from the early career of John Williams is now released in complete stereo form by Film Score Monthly.

None But the Brave (1965) is a WWII film about a small contingent of Japanese and American solders making an uneasy truce on a small South Pacific island until war rears its ugly head. The picture is perhaps best remembered as the first (and only) directorial effort of Frank Sinatra, who stars in a small role alongside Clint Walker, Tony Bill and a diverse group of American and Japanese actors (it was co-produced by American and Japanese studios).

For film music fans the star is John Williams, then known as "Johnny" and transitioning to feature films after productive years in television. Most of Williams' early films were comedies but None But the Brave was a notable exception, giving Williams the opportunity to write a broad, majestic main theme, with ambitiously chromatic counterlines somewhat in the style of his contemporary, André Previn. The body of the score blends tension-filled moments informed by Williams' dramatic scores for television; atmospheric and suspense writing that anticipate his future blockbusters (from Close Encounters of the Third Kind to Raiders of the Lost Ark); and even lighter passages recalling his comedic work. The story also allows for sensitive depictions of the Japanese as well as American characters, and these feature carefully designed Japanese-flavored colors (decades before Memoirs of a Geisha).

Fans of the composer who thought they knew every last note of his oeuvre and have hungered for new Williams CDs will delight in this uncovered gem. It is fascinating to hear his development as an artist, as well as the voice he offered for cinema of the 1960s. And if you like his Lost in Space television music, there is at least one cue ("The Final Flight") that will make you exclaim, "Danger, Will Robinson!"

FSM's premiere presentation of None But the Brave features the complete score newly mixed from the original ½" three-track stereo scoring masters as recorded by Dan Wallin on the Warner Bros. stage. Engineered for FSM's CD by Mike Matessino, it sounds like it was recorded yesterday. Bonus tracks include Williams' music for the film's trailer, a piano solo performance of the theme (performed by the composer), and the commercial single recording of the main theme in the pop style of the day. Liner notes are by Jeff Eldridge. This is a limited edition of 3,000.

It is available now from Screen Archives Entertainment at www.screenarchives.com.

Check it out at http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12527
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009
    Holy crap!!! That came out of nowhere.

A funny thing is that I've tried to track down the film recently (in my effort to see as many Williams-scored items as possible), but unsuccessfully. So this is sure some coincidence.

Also, I've had a couple of tracks from the score previously (main and end titles, basically), and always loved the dramatic sound of them. So this will fill an important hole in his discography.

C&C or not, this has already been ordered!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. and there goes my money again shame
    man it litterally doesn't stop
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    When is the next regular Williams cd release?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Half the time it takes from now until its release, but doubled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    When is the next regular Williams cd release?

You mean you aren't spending your money on this one?!? YOU FUCKED UP SINNER!

(Lincoln i think, 2011 i think)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I hope you guys aren't ignoring this one just because of the year it was composed. Any chance to hear one of the masters first real serious film scores is nothing but a blessing.

Have any of you listened to the sound clips?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote

Isn't TINTIN out before LINCOLN?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I hope you guys aren't ignoring this one just because of the year it was composed. Any chance to hear one of the masters first real serious film scores is nothing but a blessing.

-Erik-

The sound clips do sound interesting - I'll hold off until there's more to order through SAE. If it is gone by then that will be a shame.

At first when I saw "Johnny Williams" I wasn't at all interested - I've not been too keen on his early scores but this new release certainly sounds like it's at the transition to the more dramatic-sounding Williams.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote

Why should I?

I'll buy it anyway. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Isn't TINTIN out before LINCOLN?

It's confusing, some websites say 2010 for Tintin and some are saying 2011. I think it's 2011 though, but don't know what's the release date. Can't tell you how excited I am for the score! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Ill wait , have to watch the money and I want to see what Intrada comes up with next week.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    I'm waiting until next week as well, but Intrada is never going to top this, except perhaps if it's Family Plot or Black Sunday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I want a Jurassic Park complete...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I want my own brontosaur.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LOLTHEIST. right...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd prefer a Lost World complete. The action music in that score far outshines the action music from the first in my opinion. (Of course the original theme is still the best thing about the JP scores, but it's nice to hear it in full only at the end on the Lost World album.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I'd prefer a Lost World complete. The action music in that score far outshines the action music from the first in my opinion.

The action material in The Lost World is indeed amazing (Visitor in San Diego is one of my most played tracks) but I think "T-Rex Rescue & Finale" from the original is one of Williams' finest action cues!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Lost World definitely has quite a lot of significant unreleased action music. But there are some cues from the first film that I'd like to have too, like "Storm Clouds", "Hungry Raptor" (the unused cue) and most importantly the "T-Rex Jeep Chase"!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    (Of course the original theme is still the best thing about the JP scores, but it's nice to hear it in full only at the end on the Lost World album.)

So you're saying you enjoy the fact that the main theme was generally held off till the end of the score? dizzy moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    William wrote
    Steven wrote
    (Of course the original theme is still the best thing about the JP scores, but it's nice to hear it in full only at the end on the Lost World album.)

So you're saying you enjoy the fact that the main theme was generally held off till the end of the score? dizzy moon

The way it should be!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote

The way it should be!

-Erik-

I prefer the lyrical/melodic Williams to the action composer Williams so for me Jurassic Park is much better than The Lost World and I would have been glad to hear the well-known melody more often on the latter CD. Although The Lost World has been growing on me with each listen...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    keky wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote

The way it should be!

-Erik-

I prefer the lyrical/melodic Williams to the action composer Williams so for me Jurassic Park is much better than The Lost World and I would have been glad to hear the well-known melody more often on the latter CD. Although The Lost World has been growing on me with each listen...

Where exactly would you have used it? The main story of The Lord World took place on Site B therefore Williams' penned a new theme. Like I said in the Now Playing thread it was nice to hear the "Journey To The Island" theme a few times in the sequel score.

-Erik-