• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009 edited
    So we agree on that, at least. beer

I still have to see the new movie and to hear the new score, but I bet it won´t be worse than OotP, and as you know, I was okay with that one.

I agree that Deathly Hallows needs one hell of a score, so I´m okay with changing the composer, but thinking about how much action this thing contains, I would have preferred someone else than Williams. But he is perfectly suited to score the huge amount of rural campsite music it´s going to need. If he reprises his Windows to the Past theme and finds a suitable variation of his Buckbeak music for one very specific escape sequence (which has actually nothing to do with Buckbeak), I´ll be happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009
    Praying for Williams to be back. I want to hear the A Window To The Past theme in [spoiler]The Forest Again scene[/spoiler] and [spoiler]exceptional action music for the final battles[/spoiler].
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DemonStar wrote
    Praying for Williams to be back. I want to hear the A Window To The Past theme in [spoiler]The Forest Again scene[/spoiler] and [spoiler]exceptional action music for the final battles[/spoiler].

Me too. smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Praying for Williams to be back. I want to hear the A Window To The Past theme in The Forest Again scene and exceptional action music for the final battles.

Yeah, totally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    So much for the spoiler tag. biggrin
  1. I don´t think that anyone who hasn´t read the novels will know what the first one means, and expect the second one nevertheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Fair enough. wink
  2. But they´re in for a treat, aren´t they? lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Williams can make it EPIC! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I don´t think that anyone who hasn´t read the novels will know what the first one means, and expect the second one nevertheless.

That's why I didn't think it was worth the spoiler tag!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Williams can make it EPIC! punk

You don't say!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009
    If Maestro John Williams says no to final part of Harry Potter, then i expect Hans Zimmer to score the final part. Because i firmly believe that Zimmer got ability and skills to deliver great score. He is fond of writing great action cues. As you all know, in final part, there are plenty of action will be there, i think Zimmer can do the job. Yes, of course, some people may think that his style of music may not suit Harry Potter movie because he uses more electronic, ethnic and synthesizers. But personally, i don't have any problem with that, if it is perfectly suits the movie, then he can. His recent score for Angels & Demons is simply superb. What do you guys say on this?
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Hell no.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    How nice of Hooper to suddenly wish for more time with his family. This is easiest the biggest bucket of PR guano I´ve seen recently.

It could very well be true. I think Hooper was excited to work on these two Potter movies, but he was probably not used to the workloads that Doyle and Williams are accustomed to. Especially writing demos for a studio that's not sure on whether they wanted him or a more familiar name scoring the fifth Potter film. It could have taken a toll on how much time he spends with his family, especially during post-production with new edits and finalized special effects shots to rewrite to.

I don't blame him for stepping down, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sunil wrote
    What do you guys say on this?

If Williams isn't on board then it will be Hooper. No one else. Zimmer? Why in the world would Yates even consider Zimmer in the first place?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited
    As much as a Zimmer fan I am, I honestly don't feel HP suits his style. Of course, if he went the pure orchestral way then that's another story, but like Sunil said he's more into electronics/synths these days which will not fit into the Potter music world at all.

I just want Williams back on board and *ONLY IF* he doesn't, then I'd like James Newton Howard or Dario Marianelli to come on.
  3. Matt C wrote

Oh, don´t get me wrong here, I don´t blame him either. I just don´t buy that story for a second.

If you ask me, IF it was his decision, then he stepped down because he could no longer bear the crap that was said about him and his music. But I´d bet the decision has been made somewhere else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DemonStar wrote
    I just want Williams back on board and *ONLY IF* he doesn't, then I'd like James Newton Howard or Dario Marianelli to come on.

...or William Ross? I'm not entirely sure how much we hear of Chamber of Secrets is actually his, but the score sounded really good nonetheless. He also showed potential in The Tale of Despereaux, and he's got the classic sound that Potter needs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Oh sure, Williams Ross would be awesome! I loved the Despereaux score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Erik Woods wrote
    Sunil wrote
    What do you guys say on this?

If Williams isn't on board then it will be Hooper. No one else. Zimmer? Why in the world would Yates even consider Zimmer in the first place?

-Erik-

Hooper doesn't have ability to give great score, that too, the final one supposed to be the huge one. You need someone who can handle huge budget films. HP is not ordinary movie. It has already become worldwide popularity. So, we need a matured composer, who can write various themes. That's why i believe in Zimmer. Frankly speaking, John Williams is the only composer in the world who can fulfill the expectations of HP fans. John Williams wrote great themes for first three HP movies, so, he can improvise on those themes and deliver one of the greatest score in film score history. But if he refuses, then i say Zimmer or James Newton Howard or even Howard Shore can do the job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sunil wrote
    Hooper doesn't have ability to give great score, that too, the final one supposed to be the huge one. You need someone who can handle huge budget films. HP is not ordinary movie. It has already become worldwide popularity. So, we need a matured composer, who can write various themes. That's why i believe in Zimmer. Frankly speaking, John Williams is the only composer in the world who can fulfill the expectations of HP fans. John Williams wrote great themes for first three HP movies, so, he can improvise on those themes and deliver one of the greatest score in film score history. But if he refuses, then i say Zimmer or James Newton Howard or even Howard Shore can do the job.

You can throw composer's names around all you want... let's give it to Rachel Portman... but you do have to take a step back and look at which one makes sense. Why would Yates work with Zimmer when he already has established a relationship with Hooper. The only other composer that would be consider would be John Williams because Hooper is willing to step aside to let Williams and Williams only score the final film.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote
    ...or William Ross? I'm not entirely sure how much we hear of Chamber of Secrets is actually his, but the score sounded really good nonetheless. He also showed potential in The Tale of Despereaux, and he's got the classic sound that Potter needs.

Ross and Willliams works closely together on Chamber of Secrets adapting the old themes and new themes so they would work seamlessly together. Ross didn't write ANY new material. Ross was quoted saying that Chamber was a John Williams score from beginning to end. Ross filled in a few holes... but none of it was original material.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    There was no additional music written by him? I already figured it was mainly Williams, since it really sounds like him, but I thought there were just a few gaps... and that he did orchestrations. Anyhow, at least he's gotten some taste of it back then, so if Williams couldn't be back, he'd be a good option. And also a logical one, since he's no stranger to the producers.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Matt C wrote

Oh, don´t get me wrong here, I don´t blame him either. I just don´t buy that story for a second.

If you ask me, IF it was his decision, then he stepped down because he could no longer bear the crap that was said about him and his music. But I´d bet the decision has been made somewhere else.

I don't think Hooper is low enough to use his family as an excuse to step down from scoring the final two HP films. I think if it really wasn't his family, it'd either have been "The experience on working on HBP was hard for me and I need a break to do smaller stuff" or something around those lines.

The thing is, while Hooper isn't John Williams -- he can compose some nice, beautiful music. His score in OOTP and HBP worked well in the film (the latter especially when Yates wasn't tracking in "Fireworks", "Dumbledore's Army" or "Possession"). Some of the criticism is unfounded, and some people have unrealistic expectations about what they expected from Hooper.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    DemonStar wrote

I personally think Williams could bring people to tears if he used the "Window" theme when [spoiler]Harry and Hermione visit Godric's Hollow and Harry's parents' graves[/spoiler].
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Matt C wrote
    I personally think Williams could bring people to tears if he used the "Window" theme when [spoiler]Harry and Hermione visit Godric's Hollow and Harry's parents' graves[/spoiler].

Agreed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Matt C wrote
    The thing is, while Hooper isn't John Williams -- he can compose some nice, beautiful music. His score in OOTP and HBP worked well in the film (the latter especially when Yates wasn't tracking in "Fireworks", "Dumbledore's Army" or "Possession"). Some of the criticism is unfounded, and some people have unrealistic expectations about what they expected from Hooper.

These are some of the most expensive films ever made, and they get back some of the highest box office. They can afford ANY composer they want. So the minimum expectation is someone with a basic awareness of film composition on a film like this. To not even get that is absolutely inexplicable. How Warner Bros. have allowed it for two successive films is quite beyond me.
  4. THey have big budgets, but they like to save money, as any businessmen.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    They do... but a couple of hundred grand on a better composer, they could make their film significantly better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I hear the HBP film has quite a lot of temp tracking from the OoTP soundtrack and even some Hedwig's theme statements from the Williams scores. Perhaps they're not happy with the music after all.

Hope they bring back Williams at least as a cash source for the music department because I think they know how well his scores would sell.