• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Why was there no talk about the excellent NONE BUT THE BRAVE CD from FSM a few weeks back, for example?

Speaking for myself, I decided a while ago not to buy anything else by him from his "Johnny Williams" days. I've been burned too many times. I suspect this one is different, but in the absence of any reviews I don't think I can justify taking the gamble (there is nothing by him before The Cowboys I have ever even vaguely liked).

I posted a couple of posts praising Non But The Brave.
    I can't believe this release has been ignored by so many here!
    Mr. Southall may not like much of it if he loathes Lost In Space as there are similarities in places.
    I for one LOVE the scores of Lost In Space, Time Tunnel and Land Of The Giants. Classic stuff! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Y'know, I did the most stupid thing. When the first expanded version of ET came out, I thought "yay! - expanded=better" (hard to believe I was ever so naive) and sold my copy of the shorter release, which is by a considerable margin the best ever release of that score. But now I don't have it any more. cry

I too am one of the people who don't believe that always the more=better, under any circumstance, when it comes to film music at least.

Don't believe that 'more = better'?

Whadda nutjob, one can never eat enough meat. lick

Oh?...film music? Well, why didn't ya say???

biggrin Interesting that when i clarified i was talking about film music alone, i had another example of actual more=better but definitely not meat although you are right.

I was more like thinking boobs.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    biggrin Interesting that when i clarified i was talking about film music alone, i had another example of actual more=better but definitely not meat although you are right.

I was more like thinking boobs.

In that case, you're not going to be able to contain yourself if you click on this link.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, not on ONE BABE sir; quantity but on many babes, a pair each.

Now let me get ma buckit for the link you posted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    I do dislike that, and also intensely dislike all the Lost in Space (etc) stuff. And that's probably all I've heard.

Here are a few pre-COWBOYS scores I would recommend that sound nothing like that (that are neither Mancini-like NOR the sturm-und-drang of the Allen TV shows) and that are readily available:

1970 - JANE EYRE (TV)

Well, duh! Simply put one of the most gorgeous scores ever composed and one of Williams' very best.

1969 - THE REIVERS

Gorgeous Americana. Check out the opening here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtOoQe8QYMY

1968 - HEIDI (TV)

Very romantic and sweet, but totally digestable. Available on Label X (but something tells me that it was reissued not too long ago and may be more available again).

1966 - THE RARE BREED

A lush and colourful Western score. It has not had a separate release yet, but a great 14-minute suite(?) is available on various compilations from Silva.

1965 - NONE BUT THE BRAVE

As previously discussed.

Also, if you like more straightforward big band jazz rather than the cocktail lounge stuff for the goofy 60's comedies, there's always CHECKMATE and M SQUAD.

Finally, a few of the early concert works in that period are also worth checking out if you can find them (they have all been released commercially) - "Prelude and Fugue" (1965), "Essay for Strings" (1965), "Sinfonietta for Wind Ensemble" (1968), "Concerto for Flute and Orchestra" (1969) and "A Nostalgic Jazz Odyssey" (1971). These sound nothing like that sound you dislike either, although a couple of them include jazz harmonies in a very progressive, classical idiom.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There is one particular track on Heidi which is stunning. Unfortunately I don't know what the track is called as I have a CDR. It's near the end of the CD.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Why was there no talk about the excellent NONE BUT THE BRAVE CD from FSM a few weeks back, for example?

Speaking for myself, I decided a while ago not to buy anything else by him from his "Johnny Williams" days. I've been burned too many times. I suspect this one is different, but in the absence of any reviews I don't think I can justify taking the gamble (there is nothing by him before The Cowboys I have ever even vaguely liked).

I'd take it further---I don't enjoy any JW pre-JAWS with the exception of THE COWBOYS and JANE EYRE. I find both Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure incredibly overrated....

(I do have None But The Brave on order, though.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not even the themes to Towering Inferno or Poseidon Adventure? shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agree with TJ.
    Not the Williams sound I enjoy at all.
    And while None But The Brave employs some clear "Williamsisms" as far as action scoring goes, it's so unthematic it lost my interest during the first listen.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Still, it is amazing how the career of John Williams mutated. I mean would you have predicted, based on his jazzy lounge music works of the 60's that he'd become one of the greatest, if not the greatest film composer of all time? The first 40 years of his life he was good musician/composer but it wasn't until his mid 40's and beyond that he really took off.

Just goes to show you that anything is possible.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    Still, it is amazing how the career of John Williams mutated. I mean would you have predicted, based on his jazzy lounge music works of the 60's that he'd become one of the greatest, if not the greatest film composer of all time? The first 40 years of his life he was good musician/composer but it wasn't until his mid 40's and beyond that he really took off.

What are you saying? I think it's pretty OBVIOUS that the composer of this tune....:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pRu55jkbG4

....not to mention this classic opening tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFkgI7Ma_lM

...would go on to be our most pre-eminent composer of neo-romantic, symphonic film music!

wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    tjguitar wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

I'd take it further---I don't enjoy any JW pre-JAWS with the exception of THE COWBOYS and JANE EYRE. I find both Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure incredibly overrated....

Oh, I found Poseidon absolutely, incredibly awful. The only competition for Heartbeeps when it comes to worst Williams music. I thought Towering Inferno was a bit better.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Thor wrote
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    Still, it is amazing how the career of John Williams mutated. I mean would you have predicted, based on his jazzy lounge music works of the 60's that he'd become one of the greatest, if not the greatest film composer of all time? The first 40 years of his life he was good musician/composer but it wasn't until his mid 40's and beyond that he really took off.

What are you saying? I think it's pretty OBVIOUS that the composer of this tune....:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pRu55jkbG4

....not to mention this classic opening tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFkgI7Ma_lM

...would go on to be our most pre-eminent composer of neo-romantic, symphonic film music!

wink

applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gilligan's Island

WORST. THEME. EVER.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009 edited
    My theory is that the passing of his first wife in 1974 was in a way responsible for the musical progress he experienced in the mid-70's. He wrote the violin concerto the same year, by her request and dedicated in her memory. At that same time he had also just begun his inspirational collaboration with Spielberg, a fan of his who loved his music and encouraged him. That enthusiasm is important to a film composer - to know that someone cares about your work as much as you do, trusts you and makes you confident the hard work will all be worthwhile. It creates a healthy focus and good work ethic when artists encourage each other like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Gilligan's Island

WORST. THEME. EVER.

Indeed. However, the Williams theme above (for the unaired pilot) fortunately didn't up as the final GILLIGAN'S THEME (I mean, seriously, just listen to those lyrics by, I believe, Sherwood Schwartz himself) . Not that the final GILLIGAN'S theme - NOT composed by Williams - is that much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR7qxtg … re=related
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Greatest film composer of all time, you mean, obviously.

Right? uhm
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    Brilliant though he is I'd argue he's the most popular film composer of all time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    That's very true, the popular tag.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009 edited
    Michael at JWFan.com contacted Conrad Pope and received and shared some information about the upcoming Tintin score, direct quote from there -

I'm currently orchestrating a large piece with a number of ideas. The main theme is highly energetic, filled with great tonal twists and turns, reflecting, I suspect, TinTin's heroic energy. It will become a classic,I think. To give more information would be to reveal things that I don't think JW would want to say.
    We are at the beginning of the process. The main scoring sessions are off in February.
    Also, let me say with regard to "TinTin" , I believe, as with "Potter" and "Catch Me if you Can", people will be both surprised and not surprised by how the music is both "expected" and "UN-expected"--- before you hear it.

And something about the "next" John Williams:

Let me say, however, there is no "next" John Williams. Sadly, he is unique--- a figure who simultaneously embodies and transcends the music of all the masters of film music who preceded him. ( Much like Brahms and Wagner of the Romantic era). He comes from a time when the craft of music in film was still one of the ear, heart and mind. Today, sadly, the craft is largely technical. Most composers do not conceive their music "inwardly" but rather at the computer--- and with rather limited skills, musically, at that. The inner spirit knows no boundaries--- our plastic abilities, sadly, do. John is a man of spirit, heart, intellect and soaring music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009
    Very well said IMO.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I'm so happy to hear this! smile
  2. That last paragraph pretty much sums up my feelings about film music of then compared to now.

Spot on !!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    Yes, it will be a sad day when John Williams will step off the conductor's podium. 2003 and 2006/07 have shown us what it'll be like to have no new music coming from him.

Gah, this is depressing.

But a wonderful small tribute from Mr Pope! smile
  3. nicely said

I think the gap will be beyond measure once John Williams leaves this place, but I think there's still talent, yet sadly no new John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith. Those gaps will forever be filled by their respected music alone
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    I guess what they say about each and everyone having their one exact look-alike somewhere in the world is true afterall!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That was pointed out years ago.

It has been suggested many MANY times film music forums that Dear old Dickie would play John Williams in a film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited
    Oh; thank God that it seems I am not a nerd then and i learned by accident, just now wink tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Geek D....G - E - E - K wink

or in your case Greek biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i meant a nerd wink