• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010
    Very correct. Some nerds tend to display that behavior to the utmost, and also babble about their interests and themselves. That's a total failure in communication and social skills, be it towards girls you're trying to charm or even just people with whom you randomly talk about. In any case, extremes - no matter which side those are, are always a very negative thing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Is that right Dr. Phil?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, yes my son. Please have a sit, near me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pffff...everybody's a shrink these days. Or can be.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. This man's work for War of the Worlds is some of the most exciting action/suspense music I've ever heard. I am obsessed with "The Ferry Scene". Too bad it's barely audible in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    So , anyone feeling the 'jive' yet for the upcoming Star Wars In Concert ?
    My 'force' is already flowing ! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  2. HOLY CRAP YES !!!!

The Force will be with us tuesday punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Yesterday a couple of us visited Antwerpen for Star Wars in CONCERT, and in short it was AMAZING. Fantastic selection of cues, amazing orchestral performance of the Royal Philharmonic, well added light effects, sound effects and dialogue, and of course unforgettable music.

Highlights were aplenty, but the concert suite of The Flag Parade was super, The Forest Battle was groundbreaking, and The Imperial March received 2 stunning versions, of which the second will remain a pleasant memory no matter what

Oh and Anthony Daniels aka C-3PO was amazing, funny and charming, he added the remaining flair that was missing that evening.

I've heard we Europeans are much more reserved, but during the concert I didn't notice that at all. We were like little children, wanting more and more smile

Oh and it was great to see Martijn, Eric, Mario, Tim and Bregt again, Bregt also brought his brother along for the ride, and Eric chose to inspire his son with some good old filmmusic (not that he needed that inspiration because he was already sold wink )

Ah, what an evening.
    I can't add anything more than it was absolutely magnificent smile

2 thumbs up
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010
    Ah, so they did take that concert on tour! It was great when I saw it in London, only the highlight for me was The Asteroid Field. cool
  4. A superb evening, I had the time of my life. The whole package was incredibly impressive, the music selection was great, the on screen clips were well-edited and the laser light show was something I had never experienced before, and it was appropriately used... When the green lasers filled the entire hall my jaw was dangling on the floor. shocked

From the top of my head these were the cues used, sometimes altered a little bit but I didn't mind that ...
    - 20th Century Fox Fanfare
    - Main Title
    - Duel of the Fates
    - Anakin's Theme
    - The Flag Parade
    - Across the Stars
    - Battle of Heroes
    - The Dune Sea of Tatooine / Jawa Sandcrawler
    - Binary Sunset / Cantina Band
    - Tie Fighter Attack
    - Princess Leia's Theme
    INTERMISSION
    - The Clash of Lightsabers (not entirely)
    - The Imperial March
    - Yoda's Theme
    - The Asteroid Field
    - Luke and Leia
    - The Forest Battle
    - Light of the Force
    - The Throne Room / End Title
    ENCORE: The Imperial March

As you can see an awesome selection. I also loved walking around the entire thing, it had that undeniable Star Wars vibe, with lots of amateur jedi's, stormtroopers and others justifying their pay. The only thing missing from the exhibit were the miniatures and models, which I would've loved to see, I mean not even the Millennium Falcon or the Tie Fighter were on display. But I guess that would've been too hard to do, logistically. But Darth, 3PO, Chewie and a certain someone in frozen carbonite were there, among others. So no complaints there !!!

So the music was fantastic, as were the performances, the percussion and the brass section had that special kind of oomph you only hear in live events. It was great meeting up with Bregt and brother, Martijn, Eric and son, Tim, Mario and Thomas. beer

An evening to be remembered for sure. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Anthony wrote
    Ah, so they did take that concert on tour! It was great when I saw it in London, only the highlight for me was The Asteroid Field. cool

that of course was a highlight as well, in fact there were no bad parts smile
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Yesterday a couple of us visited Antwerpen...

Was it at the Antwerps Sportpaleis? Where the Lord of The Rings concert was a few years back?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Yesterday a couple of us visited Antwerpen...

Was it at the Antwerps Sportpaleis? Where the Lord of The Rings concert was a few years back?

Yup.

I was there too. I first wasn't planning to go, but my little brother wanted to go, so I joined him. It was basically a live version of the DVD that was included with the Revenge of the Sith cd ("A Musical Journey" or something like that). The guy who performed C-3PO did the talking in between, sometimes evoking some crunch worthy sentences.

I agree with a lot of what has been said above, especially the top notch performance, but I was annoyed by the dialogues. They included some of them during the performance, but they were so loud that it really killed the experience a few times for me (like the "Nooooo" from Ewam McGregor during Battle of the Heroes rolleyes slant ). Well, it was all quite loud actually...

The opening was fantastic, as was Asteroid Field and the variation of the Throne Room. I had a good time, though it certainly wasn't the best concert. The Williams concert in 2008 impressed me more.
    Kazoo
  7. Bregt wrote
    The opening was fantastic, as was Asteroid Field and the variation of the Throne Room. I had a good time, though it certainly wasn't the best concert. The Williams concert in 2008 impressed me more.

for real?
    No, this concert topped the Williams one, because of the orchestra, which was outstanding
    I still rank this alongside the Goldsmith one though (played in Gent Belgium), because that was just mesmerizing for various reasons

Anyway, apparently everybody said this was much better than the LOTR concert in Sportpaleis (I'm talking about the sound of course)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sounds FANTASTIC! punk

btw, 'Tim'? Was that tim (not timmer) from Bath?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My review/experience here.

Why is this thread being used when we have both a thread for this particular concert series AND a non-specific concert thread? confused

With all this anarchy around, next think you know people'll be going off-topic. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Timmer wrote
    Sounds FANTASTIC! punk

No another Tim (timme from the forum here). A Goldsmith nut.
  9. Martijn wrote
    Why is this thread being used when we have both a thread for this particular concert series AND a non-specific concert thread? confused

With all this anarchy around, next think you know people'll be going off-topic. angry

We humbly apologise your worshipfulness... shame

You may transfer posts to the other topic if you feel like it. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Sounds FANTASTIC! punk

Ahhhh, of course! cool

Neither of them post here often anymore.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. So, I mentioned this in the Now Playing thread and got no response, but I was wondering if there were any people here besides me who preferred Munich over Schindler's List? Like the movie, I was just more moved by the music of the former than the latter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I thought you were joking! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Munich's not bad... but it relies heavily on a lot of what Williams composed in Angela's Ashes which I think is a far better score than Munich. As for Schindler's List... it's a fooking masterpiece. "Remembrances" slays me and the rest of the score and adapted folk melodies are so perfectly spotted! Schindler's List brought out the best in both Spielberg and Williams.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthortimme
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Sounds FANTASTIC! punk

And I loved the concert to! The orchestra was great.
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    Munich's not bad... but it relies heavily on a lot of what Williams composed in Angela's Ashes which I think is a far better score than Munich. As for Schindler's List... it's a fooking masterpiece. "Remembrances" slays me and the rest of the score and adapted folk melodies are so perfectly spotted! Schindler's List brought out the best in both Spielberg and Williams.

-Erik-

Well I liked Angela's Ashes too, so that's not really an issue. I think it may be that I'm not a huge fan of solo violin, which takes up much of Schindler's List. This is also why I wasn't bowled over by Newton Howard's The Village.

It's all good, though. I'm a big fan of Williams' tragic scores, so there's merit in all of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Munich (the score) is great, especially in the concert pieces (A Prayer for Peace) which seem to stylistically link it with Schindler, but I think Schindler's List is more consistently impressive. There, it's not just the main pieces that are fantastic, but also pieces like Schindler's Workforce and Nacht Aktion. As for the film... it humbled me. Munich is a strong, even important film that left me with a knot in my guts, so don't get me wrong, but Schindler is just a rare masterpiece that cannot be criticized.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    So, I mentioned this in the Now Playing thread and got no response, but I was wondering if there were any people here besides me who preferred Munich over Schindler's List? Like the movie, I was just more moved by the music of the former than the latter.

I thought Munich was a better film than Schindler's List, more honest.

Score wise it's Schindler's for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Much better? uhm

Munich was very good, but it didn't leave a fraction of the impression that Schindler's List left on me. There's no moment in Munich that I felt had anywhere near the emotional impact of that last scene in Schindler's List. I can see why you might prefer it, but I have to disagree about it being a better film. Vehemently disagree.

A very good film though, one I'd like to revisit soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I liked Munich, I mean really liked it. It took me completely by surprise in fact. I haven't seen Schindler's List recently enough to confidently compare but at this stage I'd be prepared to say that they're just about on a par with each other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    The sportpaleis, is that the building next to the highway that looks like a giant circustent?
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    Munich is a very good modern Williams album; but of course it's nowhere even near Schindler's List. With the latter he broke new ground. Munich is far different, and it's much more influenced by the modern film musical surroundings (some Zimmerisms in the too) whereas Schindler's List was one of those rare masterpieces where he set new ground, he really re-invented himself in a wholly diachronic piece of work.