• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    This is ridiculous to do this for Williams. With James Newton Howard, people seem to be converging to the same 5-6 titles out of a whole career. Here's you'll hardly get any consistency - there's too much that's good.

You´re right, there is too much good to easily decide, but in the end, I think this ranking will draw enough attention to absolutely get a more or less well defined Top Three. I think there is a well defined Top Four already, and honestly, I´m not surprised about the titles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. Close Encounters
    3. Raiders Of The Lost Ark

But they are really on level ground. They are all masterpieces. And I could add another 3 almost equally.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm the only person with CE3K as my # 1 so far?

Ask me tomorrow, and that will be at the top of mine. wink

Excellent a film score anarchist in our midst continually changing the goal posts? punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark

3. Jurassic Park

All of these are scores that really sparked my interest in movie music and have great moments to hum along to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008 edited
    Here´s the new update. Obviously, the community is perfectly able to pick its favourites wink :

1st place: Star Wars Episode V - The Empire strikes back 16 points
    2nd place: E.T. - The Extraterrestrial / Raiders of the Lost Ark 12 points

Close Encounters of the Third Kind / Schindler´s List 8 points
    Jurassik Park 5 points
    Memoirs of a Geisha / Seven Years in Tibet / Star Wars Episode VI - Return of the Jedi 3 points
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom / Jane Eyre 2 points
    Angela´s Ashes / Empire of the Sun / Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade / Superman 1 point
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    1.Jurassic Park
    2.Indiana Jones and the temple of doom
    3.E.T.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Star Wars Episode V - The Empire strikes back

Timmer... would you agree with the rolleyes I'm giving to ^ that title...

angry wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Star Wars Episode V - The Empire strikes back

angry wink

-Erik-

Abso-frigging-lutely! slant

Let's hope Martijn stays away from the board a bit longer otherwise his hernia will implode again. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote

I will stay quiet about your New Hope bashing, but Empire strikes back was called Episode V from the very beginning, so please stop this and take a cookie.
  1. New update:

2nd place: E.T. - The Extraterrestrial 13 points
    3rd place: Raiders of the Lost Ark 12 points

Close Encounters of the Third Kind / Jurassik Park / Schindler´s List 8 points
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 4 points
    Memoirs of a Geisha / Seven Years in Tibet / Star Wars Episode VI - Return of the Jedi 3 points
    Jane Eyre 2 points
    Angela´s Ashes / Empire of the Sun / Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade / Superman 1 point
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I will stay quiet about your New Hope bashing, but Empire strikes back was called Episode V from the very beginning, so please stop this and take a cookie.

Bah! It's The Empire Strikes Back. Just because Episode V was added to the title crawl doesn't mean the title of the film changes... and I don't CARE what Lucas has done to the original trilgoy to completely fuck it up. It's The Empire Strikes Back. I mean, when someone comes into the room and asks what you are watching do you say Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back? Errrrrrrrr... angry

-Erik-

PS - Mmmmmm... cookies.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    New update WITH ERIK'S CORRECTIONS

1st place: The Empire Strikes Back 16 points
    2nd place: E.T. - The Extraterrestrial 13 points
    3rd place: Raiders of the Lost Ark 12 points

Close Encounters of the Third Kind / Jurassic Park / Schindler´s List 8 points
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 4 points
    Memoirs of a Geisha / Seven Years in Tibet / Return of the Jedi 3 points
    Jane Eyre 2 points

Aaaah... much better.

-Erik-
  2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind / Jurassik Park / Schindler´s List 8 points

Its funny how I look at this lineup of scores and totally agree to the fact that, as different as they are, they are totally within the same league.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Here´s the new update. Obviously, the community is perfectly able to pick its favourites wink :

2nd place: E.T. - The Extraterrestrial / Raiders of the Lost Ark 12 points

Close Encounters of the Third Kind / Schindler´s List 8 points
    Jurassik Park 5 points
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom / Jane Eyre 2 points

The original Star Wars (or Episode IV), haven't got any votes yet. That's a surprise for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    I don't CARE what Lucas has done to the original trilgoy to completely fuck it up.

When he did this the trilgoy wasn´t even finished. Why don´t you give him a break for once? He came up with this from the very beginning, so doesn´t he have the right to name his own movie the way he wants to? It is a saga, and I think he was totally right to add those episode numbers right from the beginning (when it was clear that he would be able to do at least a part of the saga). That way, everyone - even the dumb - knew that the prequels were prequels when they entered the theatres, because that episode stuff was already a part of common knowledge. I even think he was right to add an episode name to Star Wars IV, though I must agree that the episode titles themselves are absolute rubbish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I don't CARE what Lucas has done to the original trilgoy to completely fuck it up.

When he did this the trilgoy wasn´t even finished. Why don´t you give him a break for once? He came up with this from the very beginning, so doesn´t he have the right to name his own movie the way he wants to?

Doesn't mean I or the rest of us have to like it. Again, when someone comes into the room and asks what you are watching do you say Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    No. I probably just say "Episode V", because everyone can see that it´s Star Wars, but maybe not which part, and we´re more used to the episode numbers. Sorry, but that´s the truth. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the german title Das Imperium schlägt zurück did always sound very silly to me personally, and I´ve always been a fan of Star Wars being divided into episodes, from the beginning. So, indeed, I rarely say Empire strikes back. And I can´t see what´s so frakkin´ wrong with that. Truly, I won´t say, "Hey, I´m watching Galactica 2.10, wanna come?". I would say, "Hey, I´m watching that Pegasus episode". But with Star Wars it is different somehow. Its story was conceived as a serial with six episodes. So why use those crap titles? Do you, seriously, say "I´m watching Attack of the Clones", or do you say I´m watching Episode II"? You won´t say "A New Hope", since you hate it, but if you say "I´m watching Star Wars", you´ll always get asked "which episode?" or not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    As the biggest Williams fan in the room, I still find this easy pieces!

1. JURASSIC PARK
    2. THE RETURN OF THE JEDI
    3. HOOK

Of course, all of this may change tomorrow! tongue
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I think the vote for EMPIRE STRIKES BACK should be split according to the way it has been named. Those who called it EMPIRE will have their votes collected under that name. Those who call it EPISODE V (who that is) can do likewise.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Quite salomonic, f_c! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Its story was conceived as a serial with six episodes.

Even though that's what Lucas said while he was filming the prequels I don't believe a word of that. I only think he planned on make three. Actually, if Star Wars wasn't successful Empire and Jedi wouldn't have been made. I don't think that Lucas had a Vader back story in mind when writing the original Star Wars. I know that there was some back story of the Old Republic and Clone Wars written in the Star Wars novel but I'm pretty sure that's all that Lucas had in mind.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    So why use those crap titles? Do you, seriously, say "I´m watching Attack of the Clones", or do you say I´m watching Episode II"? You won´t say "A New Hope", since you hate it, but if you say "I´m watching Star Wars", you´ll always get asked "which episode?" or not?

Crap titles? Please. They are so campy and fun. And when I'm watching AOTC... when ever the hell that will be next because it's such an awful movie... I say "I'm watching Attack of the Clones." Never do I say Episode II. And when I say I'm watching "Star Wars" everyone knows exactly what movie I'm watching... The original 1977 film that was called "Star Wars." When watching Empire of Jedi... I say "I'm watching Empire" or "I'm watching Jedi." Never, EVER do I say I'm watching Episode V or IV. Who does that?

-Erik-
  5. 1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Star Wars
    3. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of The Sith
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008
    ts story was conceived as a serial with six episodes.

I thought it was nine parts. But Lucas refused to make the sequels and prequels...but he caved on the prequels. so when are 7-9 coming? wink
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008

Crap titles? Please. They are so campy and fun. And when I'm watching AOTC... when ever the hell that will be next because it's such an awful movie... I say "I'm watching Attack of the Clones." Never do I say Episode II. And when I say I'm watching "Star Wars" everyone knows exactly what movie I'm watching... The original 1977 film that was called "Star Wars." When watching Empire of Jedi... I say "I'm watching Empire" or "I'm watching Jedi." Never, EVER do I say I'm watching Episode V or IV. Who does that?

I call the first one star wars. I call Empire Empire and Jedi Jedi....I call the prequels by their episode #s, however.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008 edited
    New update; I hope the Forces of Chaos are satisfied.

I gave each of Southall´s candidates 2 points until he specifies a ranking; due to that the T-Rex ate the Raiders before they could find the Ark...

1st place: The Empire strikes back 19 points
    2nd place: E.T. - The Extraterrestrial / Jurassik Park 13 points each

Raiders of the Lost Ark 12 points
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind / Schindler´s List 8 points each
    Return of the Jedi 5 points
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom / Memoirs of a Geisha / Star Wars 4 points each
    Seven Years in Tibet 3 points
    Jane Eyre 2 points
    Angela´s Ashes / Empire of the Sun / Hook / Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade / Revenge of the Sith / Superman 1 point each
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008 edited
    I've only got a handful of Williams scores, all of which I consider his best.

Star Wars Eps 1-3 (I know the first 3 are beter, but for some reason listening to old recordings on CD gives me a headache!)
    Jurassic Park 1 & 2 (the second is...interesting)
    Indy 1-3 (all brilliant)
    Minority Report (nice action!)

I think that's all...now no one say I'm missing out on a lot of great music as I know! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    I've only got a handful of Williams scores, all of which I consider his best.

Star Wars Eps 1-3 (I know the first 3 are beter, but for some reason listening to old recordings on CD gives me a headache!)
    Jurassic Park 1 & 2 (the second is...interesting)
    Indy 1-3 (all brilliant)
    Minority Report (nice action!)

I think that's all...now no one say I'm missing out on a lot of great music as I know! tongue

Hey, no cheating!! Pick three of them and put them in the correct order! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    1 - The Empire Strikes Back

2 - Return of the Jedi

3 - Star Wars
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    1.) Indy & The Last Crusade
    2.) Raiders
    3.) Revenge Of The Sith
    wink
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I'm not familiar with MINORITY REPORT. When we are done with our useless lists, how bout some detailed opinions/reviews on MINORITY REPORT?