• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012
    Hallo wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Martijn wrote
    I'm debating whether or not to get this.
    I think it's got some of Williams' very best writing ever, but as Thor said: the original release already is pretty lengthy and I can't really remember any (worthwhile) music missing.

Let me put it like this: if the only music this edition would expand upon is the complete final battle, as it appears in the film, I'd still be 200 % excited about it, and it would be just as much of a reason for me to get it.

But there's more missing from the album that is extraordinarily lovely and great and deserves to be released. Hook complete is a towering achievement with a shitload of glorious themes, a swashbuckler of the likes nobody doesn't seem to write anymore, and musically very much on he same level of Star Wars Original trilogy, Indy and CE3K as far as I'm concerned. And I'm pretty confident the presentation of this release will impress everyone. Unlikely Lalaland will disappoint here.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012
    Thor wrote
    Atham wrote
    I'll be back from my Vietnam holiday on the 28th. So I hope they don't all sell out within a day!

You're going to Vietnam? My best friend and his fiancée will be there in the same timeframe as you as well (I think). Say hello if you bump into them. smile

I'll keep an eye out for them for sure Thor. wink We head off in a couple of weeks.

As for Hook, I really would love a deluxe edition! Hope I don't miss it!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2012
    Can I get some opinions on the best version of E.T.? The 20th Anniversary edition is FAR too long but the original album has a few pieces I like missing. So far I've come up with the below playlist, but is there anything major I'm missing?

Three Million Lightyears From Home (Original)
    Abandoned And Pursued (Original)
    Bait For E.T. (20th Anniversary)
    E.T. And Me (Original)
    E.T.'s Halloween (Original)
    Flying (Original)
    Searching For E.T. (20th Anniversary)
    Over The Moon (Original)
    E.T. Phone Home (Original)
    Adventure On Earth (Original)
    End Credits (20th Anniversary)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Trust me, you only need the original MCA album.

*performs Jedi mindtrick*
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Trust me, you only need the original MCA album.

*performs Jedi mindtrick*

I like having both but if push came to push say, at gun point, then I would pick the MCA album, it's like a film score symphony.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012 edited
    Both are essential. Some one really needs to do this score justice and release both the original MCA Records album and a proper expanded presentation of the original soundtrack recording on a 2CD set.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    LA LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS...

HOOK: EXPANDED ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK (2-CD SET)
    LLLCD 1211
    LIMITED EDITION OF 5000 UNITS
    RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

RE-ISSUE PRODUCED BY DIDIER C. DEUTSCH AND MARK G. WILDER
    MASTERED BY MARK G. WILDER AND MARIA TRIANA
    SUPERVISED AND APPROVED BY JOHN WILLIAMS
    LINER NOTES BY DANIEL SCHWEIGER
    ART DIRECTION BY JIM TITUS

La-La Land Records and Sony Music presents the world premiere release of the official remastered and expanded edition of renowned composer John Williams's original score to the 1991 Tri-Star Pictures adventure/fantasy Steven Spielberg-directed epic, HOOK! Long considered one of the maestro's best scores in collaboration with Mr. Spielberg, this masterwork is finally presented here in a worthy 2-CD release that contains more than 140 mins of music, including alternate and unused cues, greatly expanding the score's original 1991 album assembly with more than 65 minutes of music previously unreleased. Amazing art design by Jim Titus and great, in-depth liners from film music writer Daniel Schweiger round out this amazing soundtrack experience that will have you never wanting to grow up!

This album assembly was supervised by John Williams . . .the completed project approved by both John Williams and Steven Spielberg.

We've been listening to this thing at La-La Land non-stop and are so excited to finally share it with all of you next Tuesday!

On sale TUESDAY, MARCH 27 at 1 pm (PST) at www.lalalandrecords.com

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Merely 5000 copies, are they insane??? While I applaud LLL doing the near impossible and giving us fanboys what we've been wanting for so long, that amount doesn't even come close to the number of people that will want to get this.

I mean seriously??? rolleyes
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh oh... seems like I have to wake up early to order this first thing in the morning? First of all, let's figure out what time, considering the time difference, this things goes on order...
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Merely 5000 copies, are they insane??? While I applaud LLL doing the near impossible and giving us fanboys what we've been wanting for so long, that amount doesn't even come close to the number of people that will want to get this.

I don't want one so that should ease the pressure slightly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Merely 5000 copies, are they insane??? While I applaud LLL doing the near impossible and giving us fanboys what we've been wanting for so long, that amount doesn't even come close to the number of people that will want to get this.

Really? You might be right but I don't think it's crystal clear. There's a very long CD of Hook which was freely available for many years. The film is not popular, so appeal is unlikely to extend beyond the film music hardcore (it's not Predator, for instance).
  4. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Really? You might be right but I don't think it's crystal clear. There's a very long CD of Hook which was freely available for many years. The film is not popular, so appeal is unlikely to extend beyond the film music hardcore (it's not Predator, for instance).

For starters it's Williams, second, it's one of his very best, right up with his Star Wars OT where I'm concerned and third, it's one of the most requested expansions. I doubt many of the younger score fans will pick this one up, but everyone over 30 with a heartbeat that has a love for Williams will want this one in their collection.

I'm hoping it won't sell out in an hour or so or I'm going to be plenty pissed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't think it will sell out in an hour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Whether it's one of the composer's best is often beside the point. Soundtrack sales outside of our niche circles are predominately driven by the success of the film. But I honestly have no idea if there are more than 5000 waiting to get this one. Maybe? Fuck knows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's been a fan favourite for ages, so I have no doubt it will sell well. Maybe the whole batch within a few weeks. But 5000 is a pretty healthy amount for a limited release targeted at the niche market, so it could stick around for a while too.

And of course, you have all those 'weirdos' like me who are huge Williams fans, who think the score is great, but who are satisfied with the existing release. They won't be buying it either.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    It's been a fan favourite for ages, so I have no doubt it will sell well. Maybe the whole batch within a few weeks. But 5000 is a pretty healthy amount for a limited release targeted at the niche market, so it could stick around for a while too.

And of course, you have all those 'weirdos' like me who are huge Williams fans, who think the score is great, but who are satisfied with the existing release. They won't be buying it either.

You're satisfied with the existing release? I've always thought it was too long!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

You're satisfied with the existing release? I've always thought it was too long!

Yeah, me too. But I was trying to put it gently, so as not to offend Gilles! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  5. You honestly think Hook is too long on the regular album? With such a vast thematic foundation and glorious melodic structure, basically one interesting bit after another? shocked

How do you guys feel about Indiana Jones 4 ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You know how we feel about Indiana Jones 4...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    You honestly think Hook is too long on the regular album? With such a vast thematic foundation and glorious melodic structure, basically one interesting bit after another? shocked

I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I like it!

...shocked What?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    You honestly think Hook is too long on the regular album? With such a vast thematic foundation and glorious melodic structure, basically one interesting bit after another? shocked

The film or the score? I kinda like both, and think the film is underrated, warts and all.

As for HOOK, there are some of the rambunctious action material towards the end of the Epic album that grates a bit (like "The Ultimate War" and all that). Could have been made more 'economical' and effective.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

Despite his many gifts to humanity, the composer responsible for that track 'Banning Back Home' and the two songs on that album should be shot. It was too long by at least 3 tracks. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I kinda like "Banning Back Home", in that suburban/light funk/Dave Grusin style. The mushy songs I could be without, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. The songs were the greater offense for me.
    But 'Banning Back Home'... I don't know, there's no logic that connects that piece musically to the rest of the album. On a Dave Grusin album, it would sound right at home, I agree. (Or on SABRINA, or somesuch.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But I *like* Banning Back Home. *And* When You're Alone. sad
    What happened that you became so cold and cynical, Michael? What irreparable damage was done to your soul? What part of your childhood dreams was so cruelly crushed? sad

Oh, incidentally, the composer responsible for We Don't Wanna Grow Up should be shot.
    Definitely.
    Irreversibly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    But I *like* Banning Back Home. *And* When You're Alone. sad
    What happened that you became so cold and cynical, Michael? What irreparable damage was done to your soul? What part of your childhood dreams was so cruelly crushed? sad

Oh, incidentally, the composer responsible for We Don't Wanna Grow Up should be shot.
    Definitely.
    Irreversibly.

The composer is Williams! smile

While "When You're Alone" is a fine melody in its own right, for me it's ruined by that girlie, sugar-coated warbling.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    The songs were the greater offense for me.
    But 'Banning Back Home'... I don't know, there's no logic that connects that piece musically to the rest of the album. On a Dave Grusin album, it would sound right at home, I agree. (Or on SABRINA, or somesuch.)

Someone on the FSM thread about this album pointed out that "Banning Back Home" is (to put it politely) a "close relative" of something else, which I think was actually written by Dave Grusin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    The composer is Williams! smile

Williams? Williams who?

rolleyes

wink

tongue