• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Crap

Yeah go listen to Tyler !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
    Cheesy. But impressive indeed.
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012 edited
    Adventures on Earth, the virtual recording

shocked

Listen to the first 40 seconds and if you are able to tell this is not done live by real instruments you have my respect.

Amazing really how close it actually sounds to the real recording.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Adventures on Earth, the virtual recording

shocked

Listen to the first 40 seconds and if you are able to tell this is not done live by real instruments you have my respect.

Amazing really how close it actually sounds to the real recording.

Yeah, I can hear it's samples, but it's extremely well done. If I didn't know it beforehand, it would have taken me a while to realize. Cool!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. John Williams to receive Lifetime Achievement Award at Classic Brits in October:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19317301
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    John Williams to receive Lifetime Achievement Award at Classic Brits in October:

That's nice to know, but I don't think Williams will set his foot on European soil ever again. Most likely, I picture a video greeting. Which is strange, when you think about it, because he keeps travelling all over the US, and it isn't much further from NY to London than it is from LA to NY.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012 edited
    Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    John Williams to receive Lifetime Achievement Award at Classic Brits in October:

That's nice to know, but I don't think Williams will set his foot on European soil ever again. Most likely, I picture a video greeting. Which is strange, when you think about it, because he keeps travelling all over the US, and it isn't much further from NY to London than it is from LA to NY.

Yeah, odd really!? Williams was in and out of London all the time during a few decades. And didn't he once say the LSO were his favourite orchestra to work with?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2012
    Given that he's 80 I can understand it - but it would be great if he did come back for some concerts or something (like Thor says, seems very unlikely now).
  2. http://www.jwfan.com/?p=4931

I've been to Tanglewood the last two Augusts for John Williams' Film night and they've been unbelievable. I couldn't make it this year for his 80th birthday and of course two of my other heroes, Yo-Yo Ma and Steven Spielberg, go and turn up on stage!! Oh well, such is life, at least we have the video linked above to give us a feel for it, I had goosebumps from 01:30 onwards. Very much hoping to see him perform again but if I don't I'll always treasure those two very special nights in Western Massachusetts. Can't wait to hear Lincoln in a few months.
  3. Wonderful tribute! The man deserves such recognition for all the magnificent music he has given us. beer
  4. http://cpa.ds.npr.org/wamc/audio/2012/0 … lilams.mp3

Great radio interview with Williams discussing Marvin Hamlisch, Tanglewood and young people. I love his humble demeanour in interviews.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012
    John Chambers wrote
    http://cpa.ds.npr.org/wamc/audio/2012/0 … lilams.mp3

Great radio interview with Williams discussing Marvin Hamlisch, Tanglewood and young people. I love his humble demeanour in interviews.

Nice one. cool Such a gentle voice on this giant of film music.

To think that John Williams was younger than I am now when I first and last saw him. spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The opposite of Horner wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And somebody else i have in mind.... wink
  5. Demetris wrote

How so? I think Horner is pretty humble too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Demetris wrote

You HAVE listened to the infamous Film Music Radio interview, right?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. No. Should I?
  7. If you want to learn that Terrence Malick and Wolfgang Petersen are idiots who don't understand great music and can't make movies? Yes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Appreciate the composer for his music, not for who he is, I say.

But yes modesty is a virtue and it's hard to maintain when you are aware of your talent and skills.
  9. Honestly, I've heard worse...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012
    I didn't think Horner said anything inappropriate in that interview and after seeing The New World and hearing the unused score I quite agree with him. Malick is great at making HIS kinds of movies but it was much less moving than it could have been.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  10. If he's badmouthing Malick, then it's understandable. I'd be pissed too if I was constantly having to change and re-write music, only for almost none of it to be used in the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    We are talking about whether Horner is humble or not... not about whether what he said was appropriate or not.

Horner = NOT humble.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. Well I suppose it's hard to be humble when you score two of the highest-grossing films ever made...
  12. But back to Williams. I've seen him in interviews and I do admire his reserved demeanor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Well I suppose it's hard to be humble when you score two of the highest-grossing films ever made...

John Williams was humble when he held that title.

-Erik-
  13. The sad thing about Williams' reserve is that I suspect he is quite an interesting thinker on a number of subjects -- whether it be the films he's worked on, or a wider subject array. But because he's the soul of discretion and collaboration etc, I suspect we'll never really know much of what goes on upstairs with him. At least various outbursts from Horner/ Goldsmith/ Herrmann and others over the years left us in doubt as to their feelings. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  14. Why is that a sad thing? If the man is reserved than that's his godgiven right. It's how he expresses himself through his composing what's important.

If a composer has a tendency to be self-centered, than that's his right too. If he writes great music by being so, that's all I care about.
  15. The sad thing is that I'm sure it would be interesting to hear what he thinks. The same way it was sad that when my grandfather died, a reserved man if ever there was one, one could tell his life had been a fascinating one, but he never truly gave his thoughts on it all to anyone. Interesting people are worth knowing.

Of course, they have to right to keep it all to themselves if they so wish.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Demetris wrote

Horner Humble? The only thing they share is an "H".