• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012
    There's a few things to like about the prequels (music, ship designs... and... um... er...), but lots? No. Just... no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah, basically.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    There's a few things to like about the prequels (music, ship designs... and... um... er...), but lots? No. Just... no.

Music, character designs, costumes, ships, the emphasis on intergalactic politics (as opposed to every other SW fan, I actually love that!), some superbly choreographed and kinetic action sequences, some great performances inbetween the hammy ones (Palpatine, in particular). Yeah, actually, lots to like.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I thought Palpatine was the hammiest of them all! I will admit, on a technical level, there was clearly a lot of work gone into these films. But no matter how advanced the ship is, you need a good captain to steer it in the right direction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012 edited
    The biggest difference between the prequels and the original trilogy is that prequel lovers have to point out all the things that are so-called good about them. Jar-Jar sucks but the lightsabre fights were good. Stupid commentators during the pod race but the ships looked Ok. Love story pretty much killed Attack of the Clones but that Boba Fett looking guys was awesome because Boba Fett is awesome. Darth Vader is in Sith and he was awesome in the superior original trilogy.

Now on the other hand original trilogy lovers don't have to defend the films. They're just straight up awesome!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wait 'till Disney casts Bieber in the next film wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    The biggest difference between the prequels and the original trilogy is that prequel lovers have to point out all the things that are so-called good about them. Jar-Jar sucks but the lightsabre fights were good. Stupid commentators during the pod race but the ships looked Ok. Love story pretty much killed Attack of the Clones but that Boba Fett looking guys was awesome because Boba Fett is awesome. Darth Vader is in Sith and he was awesome in the superior original trilogy.

Now on the other hand original trilogy lovers don't have to defend the films. They're just straight up awesome!

-Erik-

Meh, that implies that they're all apologists. I don't feel guilty for liking Episode III.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Episode III is Ok... it's the only bearable one of the three but it's still pales in comparison.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Actually, I think there are warts and flaws in the original trilogy too -- and not only 'charming' ones.

When that is said, I think it's perfectly natural for 'prequel lovers' -- as you call them (personally, I enjoy them but don't LOVE them) -- to defend the films when the negative reviews, especially by older fans, are so massive.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Because the negative reviews are right!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I thought Palpatine was the hammiest of them all! I will admit, on a technical level, there was clearly a lot of work gone into these films. But no matter how advanced the ship is, you need a good captain to steer it in the right direction.

Ian McDiarmid did ham it up as Palpatine but he was still the best character in all 3 prequals. I find the films good fun to watch but boy are they overindulgent, the "space fights" ( @Steven ) go on and on and on and are messy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There are entertaining aspects of each of the prequel films but as a cohesive whole they fail miserably.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    There are entertaining aspects of each of the prequel films but as a cohesive whole they fail miserably.
    -Erik-

I agree. But I still like them.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2012
    Also, as far as John Williams candidates go, we are forgetting Joel McNeely!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Also, as far as John Williams candidates go, we are forgetting Joel McNeely!

Not if you read/followed the posts more clearly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    You HAVE been Timmerized!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Boy, Tim, are you grumpy today or what? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Am I finger wagging? rolleyes shame
  2. It works everytime!

The hunch to know better is priceless! tongue
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    hug <--for D to show I'm not mad at him.......but no oil please
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What's that icon? Surprise buttsex? You want to tell me something?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012
    You bring the oil and then we talk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012
    He turned down a new scoring assingment, says filmmusicreporter

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ … eaderPanel
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    He turned down a new scoring assingment, says filmmusicreporter

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ … eaderPanel

Not a NEW assignment. This was the 1980 film HEAVEN'S GATE, one of the biggest flops in history. It's fairly common knowledge among Williams fans, at least.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012
    oH Thanks for the correction! And they write an article about it just now? wink
  3. They probably wrote it because the movie was just recently released on the Criterion Collection.

Here's the page.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2012
    Not just the Criterion, the restored print has been doing the rounds on several film festivals lately (Venice, New York) as an homage to director Cimino.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … SOISVric#!

E.T. Suite, hollywood in Vienna!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012