• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. You are not alone James.

I can't hear what raises this to the heights that some people place this score.

I wonder if there is a geographic correlation here? Maybe it's a score that pushes buttons more for US-based people?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Probably because Williams is more or less retired, so anytime he does write something, it's a major event for score fans.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Because the negative reviews are right!

-Erik-

My friend, you sound like the Prefect of the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith even though your dogmas aren't published in Latin.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2012 edited
    From Tony Carty at FSM....

Don’t you just love the BBC? Hardly anything all year then:
    On Friday 14 December the TV channel BBC 4 presents:
    8.10-9.00pm: ‘John Barry: Licence to Thrill’. A special Omnibus arts programme from the year 2000 which gave a profile of the acclaimed composer from Yorkshire who did so much to develop a unique ’Bondian’ style of music. Contributions to the documentary included Bond producer Barbara Broccoli and lyricist and close friend Don Black, among others.
    9.00-10.30pm: ‘James Bond 50th Anniversary Gala Concert’. A special Bond music concert recorded at the Royal Festival Hall in central London, with an orchestra conducted by Carl Davis, and presented and narrated by Honor Blackman.
    10.30-11.30pm: ‘… Sings James Bond’. Rarely seen short performances of some of the James Bond theme songs, uncovered from the BBC’s archives, and taken from a range of BBC shows and programmes from the last 40-50 years. Artists and groups include Matt Munro, Shirley Bassey, Tom Jones, Wings, Sheena Easton, A-ha, Tina Turner and Garbage.
    Meanwhile . . .
    On BBC Radio 2:
    8.00-10.00pm: Friday Night is Music Night – A concert of the music of John Williams
    The concert features the BBC Concert Orchestra under their Principal Conductor, Keith Lockhart who has worked with John and who took over from him as Principal Conductor of the Boston Pops Orchestra. They are joined by the choral forces of London Voices who have featured on many of John's film soundtracks including Star Wars and Harry Potter.
    The concert recorded last month at the Watford Colosseum includes music from John's Academy Award winning scores - Jaws; Star Wars; E.T.; and the young violinist Charlie Siem joins the orchestra to perform music from Schindler's List. Also included Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Raiders of the Lost Ark; Empire of the Sun; The Witches of Eastwick; Hook; Jurassic Park; Amistad; Saving Private Ryan; Harry Potter; along with his most recent Oscar nominated scores for Warhorse and Tin Tin.
    So, does anyone recall a line in a song by Flanders and Swann “We’re most gregarious” referring to buses?
    Happy movie listening – Tony Carty
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

My friend, you sound like the Prefect of the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith even though your dogmas aren't published in Latin.

confused dizzy confused dizzy confused dizzy
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    You are not alone James.

I can't hear what raises this to the heights that some people place this score.

I wonder if there is a geographic correlation here? Maybe it's a score that pushes buttons more for US-based people?

I think it has more to do with the composer than the country. smile
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Just wanted to say: I respect your opinion concerning the SW Prequels. But as with all films there is more than one possible notion. We're stating opinions here, not facts.
    Sometimes prequel bashing appears like fighting a heresy. I don't like this dogmatism no matter how much one might hate the prequels. If somebody enjoys the prequels it should be all right with you. It's certainly all right with me, that you don't like them too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2012 edited
    Oh Jesus! Not the everyone has opinions thing again! For crying out loud! This is a discussion board and we all have opinions... I thought this was common knowledge... and some opinions are right and some are wrong! FACT! wink <-- winky, winky... I'm joking. No one have a fit!

BTW, I will say though that when you mentioned that Michael Giacchino can't compose melodies - you might think that's just an opinion but that's where you are just flat out wrong. FACT! There's no defending that.

And if I want to say that the negative prequels reviews are right then I don't want to have to read yet another post on how we all have to respect out opinions and blah, blah, blah. Everyone is so sensitive these days.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've always liked the prequels myself -- despite the obvious flaws.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I've always liked the prequels myself -- despite the obvious flaws.

You don't say!

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Oh Jesus! Not the everyone has opinions thing again! For crying out loud! This is a discussion board and we all have opinions... I thought this was common knowledge... and some opinions are right and some are wrong! FACT! wink <-- winky, winky... I'm joking. No one have a fit!

BTW, I will say though that when you mentioned that Michael Giacchino can't compose melodies - you might think that's just an opinion but that's where you are just flat out wrong. FACT! There's no defending that.

And if I want to say that the negative prequels reviews are right then I don't want to have to read yet another post on how we all have to respect out opinions and blah, blah, blah. Everyone is so sensitive these days.

-Erik-

Just because you mention it: After repeated listenings to "Ratatouille" I have revised my notion on Giacchino. I am now much more relaxed with the prospect of him scoring SW.

Let's make peace!
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Just wanted to say: I respect your opinion concerning the SW Prequels. But as with all films there is more than one possible notion. We're stating opinions here, not facts.
    Sometimes prequel bashing appears like fighting a heresy. I don't like this dogmatism no matter how much one might hate the prequels. If somebody enjoys the prequels it should be all right with you. It's certainly all right with me, that you don't like them too much.

Dear Captain, you should know that whilst the rest of us mortals have opinions, Erik's opinions are facts©
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Dear Captain, you should know that whilst the rest of us mortals have opinions, Erik's opinions are facts©

Oh, and wink wink wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Just because you mention it: After repeated listenings to "Ratatouille" I have revised my notion on Giacchino. I am now much more relaxed with the prospect of him scoring SW.

Let's make peace!
    beer

See I was right! And so was Steven! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

wink

Do you have any of Giacchino's Medal of Honor scores?

-Eik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

You know it!

-Erik-
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Let's make peace!
    beer

See I was right! And so was Steven! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

wink

Do you have any of Giacchino's Medal of Honor scores?

-Eik-

No. Too expensive! But I listened to bits of it on YouTube. Quite nice. I'm very cuirous about his next Star Trek score. (My main concern is though, that they come up with a cohesive story that isn't a collage of Star Wars elements.)
    And Steven: The guy who inspired those last minute re-edits that turned everything to the worse?
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

You know it!

-Erik-

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2013 edited
    As some of you may know, I currently have an 'obsession' in all things early Williams -- a quest for information about the 'seeds' of his creativity, both professionally and personally. I've explored all his early films (except for one that is impossible to find) and am currently trying to wade through his jungle of TV material in the 50's and 60's.

On the other hand, I also want to know a bit more about his background -- stuff that isn't covered in any biographies or the stories "between" the dates and facts.

In this search, I recently wanted to know more about Esther Towner Williams, JW's mom. We know a lot about his father, Johnny sr., who was famous session drummer in the 30's and 40's and 50's. But we don't know anything about his mother. What did she do? Was she involved in the entertainment biz? Was she in any way influential in JW's creativity?

Well, I still don't know anything about her profession, but I did manage to find a record of her at ancestry.com, and -- amazingly -- a PHOTO! So here's a photo of Esther (1909-2006):

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6411 … lliams.jpg

Pretty cool, eh?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2013
    Wow she lived a long time. I hope she passed on her genetics to her son!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2013
    Scribe wrote
    I hope she passed on her genetics to her son!

She certainly passed on half of hers! wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013
    And just for fun and giggles, I managed to trace Esther Williams' roots all the way back to 1742. Cool! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013
    Actually, I found the path all the way back to 1597. He, he...
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013 edited
    From a post at FSM...

[startquote]“We’re about to play Star Wars [audience interrupts with cheers] and each time we play it, I’m reminded of the first time we played it decades ago. Neither I, nor George, nor anyone else involved thought this would go far or in a few years there would be a sequel and I’d have to revisit the themes…and years later another trilogy. Now we’re hearing of a new set of movies coming in 2015, 2016…so I need to make sure I’m still ready to go in a few years for what I hope would be continued work with George…[more cheers].” John Williams at the Young Musicians Foundation Feb 9th.

I am surprised no one has mentioned this new information from the jwfan website as a discussion.

Hell, I just hope he lives that long and much time afterwards (and hope I make it till then).[/endquote]

Personally I wish John Williams long and good health because a brand new trilogy of scores from this living legend is surely something to celebrate. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013
    I actually made a news segment of this over at montages.no:

http://montages.no/nyheter/john-william … star-wars/
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I'd love to see him continue for as long as he's able, but I hope someone tells him it won't be with George. smile
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Abrams has a great deal of clout. If he doesn't want to use John Williams, he probably won't have to. We'll see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    I'd love to see him continue for as long as he's able, but I hope someone tells him it won't be with George. smile

Indeed!

I'm amazed he even mentioned it. I had just assumed there was no chance he would be involved. Much though I'd love to see Giacchino get to work on Star Wars, obviously nothing could beat the real thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013 edited
    Josh B wrote
    Abrams has a great deal of clout. If he doesn't want to use John Williams, he probably won't have to. We'll see.

Yeah, umm, if Kathleen Kennedy wants Williams she'll get Williams.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Josh B wrote

Yeah, umm, if Kathleen Kennedy wants Williams she'll get Williams.

-Erik-

one's the biggest film music name on the planet. The other is....erm? What did you say his name was?*

*No disrespect to the very talented Giacchino but really, if you can get Williams is anyone else really in contention? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013 edited
    I know Williams is the obvious choice, but I personally wouldn't mind seeing this go to someone like Giacchino. It's not unheard of that a composer takes the reigns from Williams and produces something equally worthy (Desplat). Not that I think anyone will ever be able to top Williams' original scores, but I'd like to hear a fresh take on the Star Wars universe, someone younger, and I think Giacchino is the man for the job. (The Force Unleashed scores, and of course McNeely's symphony, are great examples of this.)

I hope I didn't just commit film music social suicide by suggesting I'd rather hear a Giacchino Star Wars score than a new John Williams one.