• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2015
    John Chambers wrote
    Gustavo Dudamel just announced on Facebook that he conducted the 'opening music' and closing credits of 'Episode VII'.

"When John [Williams] called and asked if I would conduct the opening music and closing credits for this historic film.[...] Even my four-year-old son Martin sat in the sound booth cheering. You cannot imagine - utter joy for his father."

Aw!! love
    What a buzz that must have been, conducting such an iconic work, as PART of the official saga, under the eye of its creator. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's amazing that nothing more is known or that the album has not leaked yet. I remember for Episode 3 that it was all over the forum a week or so before the release of the film...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Disney has put a lid on it tighter than North Korea ever could.
    I *was* gonna say 'no worries, I'll fill the forum with spoilers when I return tomorrow', but apparently that BASTARD Norwegian has a press screening TODAY.
    And if he so much as utters a peep here on the forum I'm flying over to Oslo to kill him.
    Oh, and I'll ban him, too.
    Just for good measure.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. A wonderfully warm 30 mins interview with John Williams:
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/int … show=26075
  2. What a wonderfully modest man... his down-to-earth humility is something we can all learn from.

Thanks for posting this.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2015
    My review of the new score from Mr Williams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens:

http://www.movie-wave.net/star-wars-the-force-awakens/
  3. I'm seeing the film tonight, listening to the score straight afterwards and I look forward to using your outstanding review as a guide while I do. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015 edited
    Southall wrote
    My review of the new score from Mr Williams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens:

http://www.movie-wave.net/star-wars-the-force-awakens/

"...absolutely unquestionably a Star Wars score – if you took out all references to previous themes, you’d still know you were listening to Star Wars."

I just can't hear that at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. It's the end credits that's most delightful for me. For the first time since Attack of the clones (and even then only feintly), the effort to bridge the sections of the end credits rather than coast on concert arrangements is dearly appreciated.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. My review of THE FORCE AWAKENS, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2015/12/21/star- … -williams/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015
    Are there spoilers?
  6. Yes. Many. Very fine review in case you have seen the film already.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2015 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Are there spoilers?

Jon gives a spoilers alert warning right from the start of the review.

So, No! I haven't read it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Got the Star Wars Ultimate Soundtrack CD collection today. As we knew already nothing here has been newly mastered. So this is basically a money grab on Sony's part. The packaging is so gorgeous though that I let Sony grab my money, if somewhat grudgingly. A missed opportunity for a much more comprehensive Ultimate Collection. The reprint of the LP design of the OT soundtracks is beautiful.

Volker
  8. We are a bit crazy , aren't we?
  9. Synchrotones jumps on the bandwagon (and then fell off again) and reviews STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  10. Irony? Whatever.
  11. I have been Addicted to The Force Awakens for almost 2 months.
    What an amazing score and Album!!!
  12. I've only heard it three times since release. It's good but it has yet to wow me. Maybe that's possible after I've watched the film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2016
    Oh, I really like it! In extended form especially. I really love Poe Dameron's heroic theme. It's short and sweet but makes my heart soar in a way I rarely experienced in the prequel scores. And I adore Rey's theme.
    Some of various themes and motifs that I am also addicted to are there too.
    It's all damn fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016
    Listening to The Force Awakens on the maestro's 84th.
    Considerably lighter listen than Revenge of the Sith. Impeccable orchestration as ever. Had some issues with the film. The score makes up for it.
    Happy Birthday!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016 edited
    Still such a humble and lovely gentleman John Williams

I only saw him live and personally met and talked to him the once way back in 1980, he was six years younger then than I am now.

It wasn't imaginable to me back then how much more greatness there was to come.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2016
    Throughout most of 2015, Oscar-winning composer John Williams recorded his score to the highly anticipated new chapter in the Star Wars saga, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Thanks to our good friends at Bad Robot, Lucasfilm and Disney, we’re thrilled to bring our readers a small but exclusive set of photos from the scoring sessions that took place at the Sony Pictures Scoring Stage last year.

http://scoringsessions.com/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2016 edited
    I’ve been looking all over the internet for clips from the AFI tribute. Can’t find any!
    I did come across a very interesting recent interview though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFXCfXkJSmA

Thought I’d share!
    Eloquent as always, this man remains the epitome of humility and craftsmanship.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2016
    Humaid wrote
    I’ve been looking all over the internet for clips from the AFI tribute. Can’t find any!
    I did come across a very interesting recent interview though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFXCfXkJSmA

Thought I’d share!
    Eloquent as always, this man remains the epitome of humility and craftsmanship.

That link doesn't work for me, so I'm not sure which interview you're referring to.

But the AFI tribute will be shown on TCM tonight. Unfortunately, I do not have access to that channel, but hopefully someone records it so I can watch it later on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHumaid
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2016
    Apologies for that!
    Edited the post to fix the link.
    I hope it works now.

Thanks for the TCM tip. I hope they have live streaming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2016 edited
    I don't know if they have live streaming, but I'm sure it will become available somehow. "Life finds a way...."

As for the interview, yes, that's a good one. We talked about it over at JWFAN when it came out. For me -- who obsess over the early days of John Williams -- it was interesting to hear him talk a little bit about it, even if the timeline between fall of 1950 and spring of 1956 now is in total ruins.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. My review of THE BFG, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/07/06/the- … -williams/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2016
    I'm still digesting the score (only listened to it twice) and probably don't like it quite as much as you, but it is indeed hard to understand some of the response to it. "Generic" - really? What was the last film score with woodwind writing this florid?

I did think one of the themes (the main theme? - not sure because I wasn't paying attention enough) was distractingly similar to Lincoln.
  14. I was disappointed with it during my first listen. I'm glad to have a positive review to study as I listen through it again. My appreciation of the score is sure to . . . appreciate.