• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I thought you liked the Crystal motif? It's my favourite part of the score... and for me it's interesting to compare the various artifact themes - 'Medallion', 'Cross of Corazon', 'Holy Grail', 'Ark' and 'Crystal' and hear such distinct properties in each. Where CRYSTAL SKULL doesn't quite win me over is in some of the action setpieces.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Martijn wrote
    At the end of the day it's probably just a coincidence, guys.

It definitely could be. And the motif could mean something entirely different in the film, which would make me look pretty silly. I do think at the moment the alignment of dramatic representation, musical resemblance (melody, instrumentation), timing (WOTW is recent enough to be remembered by both director and composer) and composer/director pairing do give me a little room to say - 'HEY, there might be something here, you know.' tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I thought you liked the Crystal motif? It's my favourite part of the score... and for me it's interesting to compare the various artifact themes - 'Medallion', 'Cross of Corazon', 'Holy Grail', 'Ark' and 'Crystal' and hear such distinct properties in each. Where CRYSTAL SKULL doesn't quite win me over is in some of the action setpieces.

I like the Crystal Skull motif but I'm going to have to explore what you wrote above. My mind might change if what you said is correct. My response in my last post is geared more towards the blatant use of WOTW music in "Hidden Treasure and the City of Gold" Once the cue heads in the WOTW direct I immediately flip to the next track. Again, this is something I NEVER do with the original trilogy.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Meh... I would think no more or less than perceived likenesss between the Superman, Star Wars and E.T. themes.... but I've never heard anyone discuss the "alien link" there!
    I think you are reading wayyyyy too much into this, Michael. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Agreed about the more direct temp track lift. It's blatant in a way I usually associate with James Horner. 'City of Gold' is a strange mixture of Lucas and Spielberg influence on the soundtrack. With Lucas, if there's a temp track that he really likes, it's quoted verbatim until it no longer works. With Spielberg, a re-orchestrated re-composed version of the piece accompanies the scene (see also 'Anderton's Great Escape'), and it usually survives to make the album. I wish they'd let Williams get away from WAR OF THE WORLDS a bit more. Take out the thundering timpani, screaming woodwinds and replace it with brass flourishes and it's got neither the gravitas of the original piece nor enough life of its own.
  4. Martijn wrote
    I think you are reading wayyyyy too much into this, Michael. smile

It's a character flaw that has served me well in the past. It does me credit, though I admit it could be made to serve the (Lucas) Empire. cool
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I thought you liked the Crystal motif? It's my favourite part of the score... and for me it's interesting to compare the various artifact themes - 'Medallion', 'Cross of Corazon', 'Holy Grail', 'Ark' and 'Crystal' and hear such distinct properties in each. Where CRYSTAL SKULL doesn't quite win me over is in some of the action setpieces.

I like the Crystal Skull motif but I'm going to have to explore what you wrote above. My mind might change if what you said is correct.

You may want to check out CLOSE ENCOUNTERS again on your way past WAR OF THE WORLDS. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008 edited
    There are a 12 minutes opening action piece...where is the music? tongue

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/indiana_jones_4/

26 fresh

10 rotten
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    There are a 12 minutes opening action piece...where is the music? tongue

26 fresh

10 rotten

Maybe it's not scored... rolleyes
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    There's a very interesting connection between WAR OF THE WORLDS and this new INDY score, and not just the 'Intersection Scene' music.

Take a listen to the WAR OF THE WORLDS 'Prologue'. Not long before Morgan Freeman's narration enters, before the 4/4 rhythm picks up, we begin to hear upper register electronic phrases that are reminiscent of the descending motif from 'Call of the Crystal'. Then just after the rhythm picks up in the strings, we hear an ascending arpeggio, and then the electronic instrumentation features a 5-note motif. I wish I could give a timecode, but I only have a dialogue free version of the track at hand. This motif appears throughout the 'Prologue', and appears later in the 'Epilogue'.

Anyway, listen to the upper-register motif ('The Call') from 'Call of the Crystal', about 0:35-0:45 (the second statement). The shape is VERY similar - though a little more developed - than that upper register electronic motif from WAR OF THE WORLDS. The tone colour is reminiscent as well. It's a motif that's used quite distinctly from the rising tritone bass motif that opens 'Call of the Crystal'. (That rising tritone motif seems like the opening of the Ark theme upside down.)

Fast forward to 'The Departure', 1:58-2:03. The 'call' half of the Crystal music is given a resplendant statement for trumpet, but it's shape has been simplified. It's now almost identical to the motif from the 'Prologue' of WAR OF THE WORLDS. *** POTENTIAL SPOILER**** Perhaps another strong hint that what is departing is integral to the identity of the Crystal, and has a link to the aggressors of WAR OF THE WORLDS? *** END POT. SPOILER ****

On that WAR OF THE WORLDS reference: The timecode for the album version of 'Prologue' is 1:17-1:19.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I like the Crystal Skull motif but I'm going to have to explore what you wrote above. My mind might change if what you said is correct.

You may want to check out CLOSE ENCOUNTERS again on your way past WAR OF THE WORLDS. wink

If you are talking about Close encounters references in WotW... yeah, a huge influence there.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    sleep

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAake up!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    No! Stop going over the top with analysing the score when no one here has even seen the movie!! sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would enjoy an in-depth analysis of thematical dramatic similarities between At World's End and Crystal Skull and a detailed hypothesis on a reciprocal musical influence assuming mutual co-composers.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I would enjoy an in-depth analysis of thematical dramatic similarities between At World's End and Crystal Skull and a detailed hypothesis on a reciprocal musical influence assuming mutual co-composers.

Don't go there pal slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote

At world's End is my all time favourite score. Nothing it's better than it. tongue

And At world's End is a far most enjoyable, more energic score than Crystal Skull.

But I have when my generation will be in your "seat"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nautilus wrote

I have too!
    Viva my seat! Viva your generation!
    Talkin' about!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote

At world's End is my all time favourite score. Nothing it's better than it. tongue

And At world's End is a far most enjoyable, more energic score than Crystal Skull.

wink

Just you wait till 20 years from now when they make POTC4. You'll be saying "this music isn't as good as anything in the original trilogy!" (even though it is), and the kids will be saying "this is rubbish! I much prefer the music to the Hyper-Monkey-Tanktop-Parade video game" and you'll be shaking your head, saying "Just wait a few years son... just wait a few years."
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote

wink

Just you wait till 20 years from now when they make POTC4. You'll be saying "this music isn't as good as anything in the original trilogy!" (even though it is), and the kids will be saying "this is rubbish! I much prefer the music to the Hyper-Monkey-Tanktop-Parade video game" and you'll be shaking your head, saying "Just wait a few years son... just wait a few years."

Hate to break in, but POTC4 is not that far down the road!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    bartley wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote

wink

Don't spoil my excellent analogy with facts!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    bartley wrote

That's about the time i'll probably leave this forum.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Christodoulides wrote
    bartley wrote

That's about the time i'll probably leave this forum.

LOL. No, I'm not lobbying for this one, just stating a hard cold maybe...
    I really hope the don't though. The only thing I could look forward to would
    be another Hans Zimmer score... but I doubt he would surpasse At World's End.
    In short, it would be a mess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    bartley wrote

be another Hans Zimmer score... but I doubt he would surpasse At World's End.
    In short, it would be a mess.

He never will surpass At world's End. Is Zimmer's Empire Strikes back tongue

NP:Indy 4

"Whirl thought the academe" is growing on me. (all what a cur unfocused can grow on you)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

Yeah? We will see you around that time wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

biggrin

Maybe I'll join you and "leave this forum" wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, i am afraid many will dear friend.

Many will wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I didn't understand what you said sad

34 fresh
    11 rotten
  7. Jeff Bond adds a review that is particularly damning from our perspective. He says the score is mixed so low that it barely makes an impact except for when the old themes are quoted.