• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Hunt sequence.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2016 edited
    Yes. The Hunt's rejection makes no sense. And the music edited to that scene is awful!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2016
    What's wrong with "The Hunt"?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    What's wrong with "The Hunt"?

It was completely rejected!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah, I thought he was referring to something 'musical' about it.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Nothing wrong with it musically. One of my favorite underrated Williams cues! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016
    It's brilliant.

But is there music in the hunt sequence at all? I seem to remember it just being very effective use of sound design that gives everything more 'presence'. I could be mistaken, though, it's been a while since I saw it last.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. It's replaced with the main theme in its full form. It betrays the point of the scene, which is definitely to make us sympathize with the dinos themselves. What SPielberg did was making the (bloodless, but still) capture of the animals a human triumph. A rare musical misfire, misunderstanding rather, from Spielberg.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016 edited
    Good point. I really need to see that film again; I haven't seen it as many times as JURASSIC PARK (perhaps only 10 times as opposed to 60 for JP). But it's always a great pleasure and positive surprise every time I do.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's replaced with the main theme in its full form. It betrays the point of the scene, which is definitely to make us sympathize with the dinos themselves. What SPielberg did was making the (bloodless, but still) capture of the animals a human triumph. A rare musical misfire, misunderstanding rather, from Spielberg.

Williams' score is quite chewed up in The Lost World.

-Erik-
  4. Just saw that John Williams won the Grammy for The Force Awakens. He must have a special room in his home to display all these trophies. Or maybe - as humble a man as he is - he puts just the most recent one on display. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2017
    Review of John Williams & Steven Spielberg: The Ultimate Collection

http://www.movie-wave.net/john-williams … ollection/
  5. I only ever bought the second part of that collection, digitally. Williams on Williams I believe it's called. I've ordered the complete physical release including the dvd. Sweet ! cool

One cannot give it anything less than 5 stars. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Is the 3rd disc of the set a new release? And, for people who have the first 2, can the 3rd album be bought separately?

It's certainly a good release for anyone who wants an introduction to one aspect of Williams' career - if there are people who don't know his work.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2017 edited
    The third disc (the new recording) is only available separately in digital format. It's OK, but I wish the performances were even more radically different than their OST counterparts.

I've obviously had the first two volumes ever since they came out, and the second -- in particular -- I have a very strong relationship to. Picking up the WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS CD is still one of the soundtrack purchases I remember the most vividly. It was the mid 90s, in a record store sale/cut out bin here in Oslo, and there it was -- for a mere 19 NOK (about $3), an unheard of price at that time. It was also in a period where I was "hooked on HOOK". It still ranks as my best soundtrack purchase of all time, I think. I also found Zimmer's BEYOND RANGOON for a mere $7, which also became my favourite of his. That was a good day.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is the 3rd disc of the set a new release? And, for people who have the first 2, can the 3rd album be bought separately?

It's certainly a good release for anyone who wants an introduction to one aspect of Williams' career - if there are people who don't know his work.

Like Thor said, disc 1 & 2 were released back in the 90s. Disc 3 is new featuring music from 1997 onward. Disc 4 is a dvd with a 24 minute talk with Spielberg and his BFF and some behind the scenes footage, from what I've read. smile

And it's not only as an introduction to people unfamiliar with his music. I believe such a release is a must-buy for any fan of film music. Because when the man eventually departs this earth, we will treasure such a release that much more. I know I certainly will !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. For someone who has most of the originals, these albums are a suggested playlist to be recreated from the originals. There are a few examples of Williams scores I don't have but I don't subscribe to the notion that this is a must-buy for film music fans.

But it's a good summary of (most of) the film music created within this collaboration.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. I have the first volume of this series, which I believe, is a must buy for Williams fans for Sugarland Express alone. Other than that I agree with Alan.

Volker
  10. But these are re-recordings, and spectacular ones at that. punk

So yeah, definite must-buy.
  11. Man, there are almost as many Williams re-recordings as there are stars in the sky. My personal favourites still are those he did for Philips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For someone who has most of the originals, these albums are a suggested playlist to be recreated from the originals. There are a few examples of Williams scores I don't have but I don't subscribe to the notion that this is a must-buy for film music fans.

An album of this quality IS a must buy for film music fans.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Captain Future wrote
    Man, there are almost as many Williams re-recordings as there are stars in the sky. My personal favourites still are those he did for Philips.

I believe you're wrong there... There are fewer stars in the sky than there are Williams re-recordings.

Get your facts straight... rolleyes

tongue

But seriously, I'm a HUGE fan of compilations (especially when performed by different orchestras), so I definitely need to have this in my collection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The first compilation is fine (and I'm thankful for the rendition of SUGARLAND), but it's the second that's da SHIT, as they say, pr. my previous story!

I don't see myself playing these very much, but I can't fault the passion and quality behind them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    But these are re-recordings, and spectacular ones at that. punk

So yeah, definite must-buy.

Not just re-recordings - you can't recreate it from the original albums because many of the arrangements are so different (and usually - but not always - better).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Not just re-recordings - you can't recreate it from the original albums because many of the arrangements are so different (and usually - but not always - better).

Some (like the HOOK tracks on volume 2 and stuff like "Escapades" and partially WAR HORSE on Vol. 3), but too few, IMO. Especially on the third volume. As I said earlier, I had hoped for MORE radical interpretations and concert suitifications.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. It's funny but for the longest time I had never heard the concert version of the Jaws theme, with the second part which slowly builds to that fantastic climax. I had always heard the theme as it appears on the score, without the ending. I believe it was in 2008 during a Williams tribute concert for the Gent film festival I heard it the very first time.

My reaction --> shocked punk

It's always cool to hear different interpretations of themes, especially the way Williams does them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Fun fact about the Jaws theme on concerts is that I hear the tuba player practice the solo before the concert starts or at the end of an intermission depending in which half the piece will be played. It is pretty high for a tuba player.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017 edited
    KUSC’s Jim Svejda talks to composer John Williams about his decades-long collaboration with Steven Spielberg and the new multi-cd set that celebrates their many movies.

Listen to the interview here (44 min.)

Just heard it, very insightful and always a pleasure to hear the maestro talk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017
    Nothing I haven't heard before, but still nice to hear the man speak.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. When words are coming out of his mouth it's like his notes coming out of the strings section: sublime ! cheesy

And his memory is fully operational, just like a certain battle station. tongue