• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Marc wrote
    Just posted a french horn cover of the magnificent last cue from War Horse smile

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvR8EsItuOY

Your work never ceases to amaze me. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2019
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2019
    Marian Schedenig offers this extensive review of the Dudamel/Williams album, at Celluloid Tunes:

http://celluloidtunes.no/celebrating-jo … orchestra/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2019
    Marian Schedenig reviews the album ACROSS THE STARS on Celluloid Tunes (in English):

http://celluloidtunes.no/across-the-sta … -williams/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2019
    John Williams interview about The Rise of Skywalker. A gentleman as ever, very kind words for the trash that is these new Star Was films. What he sees in Daisy Ridley I will never understand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2020
    For who is interested in my thoughts. I have reviewed STARWARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER.

https://soundtrackworld.com/2020/01/sta … -williams/
    •  
      CommentAuthorezukax
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2020
    That guitaring is next level punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2020
    dizzy

What guitaring?
    Kazoo
  2. The spambot confused John Williams the composer with the renowned guitarist.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2020
    Marian Schedenig's epic review of the John Williams/Vienna concerts:

http://celluloidtunes.no/john-williams- … sikverein/
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Listening to Hook again, and yup! Still my favorite JW score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2020
    Not a bad choice as favourite. It's not quite up there for me, but definitely in my top 10 Williamses.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thanks Thor. Yes, something about it is so perfect for me. Maybe it's the contrast of the cold, dark, loneliness of Hook's theme and Peter's feelings of being lost, then finding hope again - it's all in the music, and it just really moves me.
  5. Hook is great. My favorite is E.T., as presented on its original album. But Hook is top 10 for me as well.
  6. E.T. is absolutely incredible! And is a close second for me in my JW favorites. Excellent choice! smile
  7. I mean to ask you Christopher, what's your favorite track/moment on the original album? Mine is definitely the Chase section of Track 20 (Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye) - the part in the film where they are riding their bikes over the gravel dunes...just THE BEST music ever in that scene! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2020 edited
    That track has been one of my favourites as well, but for personal and recent reasons, I will never ever get through the Goodbye scene score again without welling up, I'm afraid. Within that context, Super 8 will do the same to me. Giacchino really did well on that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2020 edited
    Test
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I mean to ask you Christopher, what's your favorite track/moment on the original album? Mine is definitely the Chase section of Track 20 (Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye) - the part in the film where they are riding their bikes over the gravel dunes...just THE BEST music ever in that scene! biggrin

Man, it has been way too long since I came around! Sorry for my delayed response here. My favorite tracks on the original album (also found on tracks 1-8 on disc 2 of the 35th anniversary edition of the score) are "Flying," and "Over the Moon." Hearing the flying theme at the John Williams concert a few years ago was the absolute highlight of that concert for me. I absolutely adore it. I'm sure my favorite part is the same as yours. But a VERY close second favorite moment from ET for me is probably somewhat unique to me. I just love the opening of "Over the Moon" (which appears at the very beginning of the end credits track on the 20th anniversary edition of the score). That rolling piano is just awesome. I play the piano and so it's a very special instrument to me. Hearing that theme played so wonderfully on the piano - so elegant and classical-sounding - is just a massive highlight for me.

To turn the tables on you, what is your favorite track/moment from Hook?
  9. I was a big Robin Williams fan in elementary school, so I watched Hook quite a bit then. But my favorite track/moment from Hook is "Remembering Childhood" when Peter Pan is struggling to find himself (and to fly) and accidentally falls into the underground cave he used to play in as a boy. Then he finds his old teddy bear and picks it up and starts thinking about his own childhood. There's sweetness and sadness, loss and loneliness in the music there, but then when he realizes why he left Neverland because he wanted to be a father (and he starts to float) the music shifts and there's renewal, hope and joy in it...I'm not a parent, but the emotional journey (through music) that he goes on in that scene - I can't help myself, it just brings me to tears every time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2020
    Good choice! My favourite track will always be "You are the Pan", which encapsulates everything I love about Williams, i.e. his pastoral, almost religious sound.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Oh my gosh, yes! That is such a great musical scene too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2020
    Yes, about coming to terms with oneself.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Filmscoregirl wrote
    I was a big Robin Williams fan in elementary school, so I watched Hook quite a bit then. But my favorite track/moment from Hook is "Remembering Childhood" when Peter Pan is struggling to find himself (and to fly) and accidentally falls into the underground cave he used to play in as a boy. Then he finds his old teddy bear and picks it up and starts thinking about his own childhood. There's sweetness and sadness, loss and loneliness in the music there, but then when he realizes why he left Neverland because he wanted to be a father (and he starts to float) the music shifts and there's renewal, hope and joy in it...I'm not a parent, but the emotional journey (through music) that he goes on in that scene - I can't help myself, it just brings me to tears every time.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing that!

Like, Thor, "You Are the Pan" is my favorite piece from Hook.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2021
    Here's an old 2011 article of mine - about the three JANE EYRE scores by Herrmann, Williams and Marianelli, respectively. It's in Norwegian, but I've already run it through Google Translate for you:

https://translate.google.com/translate? … romantikk/
    I am extremely serious.
  12. And what's MainTitles' take on the confirmation that John Williams will be back for Indiana Jones 5?

It's not surprising that he will be back - it seems that he will be composing until he can no longer hold a baton. But, we've no idea what material he's going to have to deal with.

It's probably the case that he's going to be able to deliver a memorable score. It's the quality of the film and the inspiration that that gives him that's going to be the big unknown.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. I hated the movie of Indiana Jones 4, and haven't listened to the score much, but I am happy to see John Williams coming back for the 5th because it would be hard for anyone else to finish the series but him. I just hope the movie is better, so he has more inspiration and good stuff to work from!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2021
    I think INDY IV is much better than people give it credit for, but there is definitely room for improvement. I'm obviously excited about JW returning for V, but have zero expectations. I did not care for the INDY IV score, and very little he's done since 2005, so that's my way into this.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Of course, the more John Williams, the better.

And I have a lot of faith in James Mangold's direction.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  15. Thor wrote
    I think INDY IV is much better than people give it credit for.

Tell me more about this Thor! In all honesty, I would like to see it in better light if you have some to share. It just seemed SO hokey...SO many times throughout. The fridge, the swinging with monkeys, the ridiculously weird alien angle...just super disappointing from my memory. I love Harrison Ford, and John Hurt. And even some excellent actors like Cate Blanchett, Jim Broadbent and Shia LaBeouf couldn't save it. But, I only saw it once when it came out in the theater with no plans to see it again (even though I've been a huge fan of the originals since I was a teen). If you can tell me what you liked about it, maybe I'll check it out again with fresh eyes.

Pawel wrote
    And I have a lot of faith in James Mangold's direction.

Great point! I forgot he was doing it! Ford V Ferrari is one of my favorite movies of all time!!