• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2021
    Yes, it's hokey -- but so are the other INDY films, really. It's all B movie nonsense, with A movie budget. TEMPLE most of all. I think this particular aesthetic was "out of its time" in 2008, and that's one of the reasons for why it fared so poorly. But yeah -- I agree that some of the setpieces were a little CGI-ified and ridiculous, even within the Indy universe (the Tarzan stuff, the "roads in the jungle", the termites, the interdimensional beings).

BUT....I like all the creative elements that Spielberg always puts into his films. He's terrible at comedies as a genre, but brilliant at subtle comedy through the film language itself, like in the editing, creative shots etc. Plenty of those in the film. I also like the fact that the old gang is back. I like the atmosphere in several scenes (first half of the jungle sequence, for example). The buildup at the nuclear site (pre-fridge). The bike/car chase scene that ends up in the library.

Simply put, there are too many great moments to just dimiss it as a disaster, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2021
    A.I. turns 20 years old TODAY!

For the occasion, I wrote this tribute article - in Norwegian. I've already run it through Google Translate for you, in case you're interested (wonky as the language may turn out):

https://translate.google.com/translate? … -williams/

My favourite film of the millennium, and favourite score too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2021
    I re-watched it on its anniversary and I didn't know. How's that for a coincidence
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I re-watched it on its anniversary and I didn't know. How's that for a coincidence
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I saw so much more in it this time around and the film rose 100% in my estimation. It's a masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2021
    It certainly is. I think I've seen it more than 20 times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2021
    I just bought a ticket for John Williams' concert with the Berlin Philharmonic on Thursday, October 14th. I know that Pawel got a ticket for the Saturday concert. Did anyone else manage to secure a ticket this morning?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    John Williams himself will be coming to Berlin for a concert? I thought he didn’t travel that far anymore? Good to hear, and let’s hope there won’t be a cancellation this time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2021 edited
    Indeed. He did come to Vienna last year (after the London cancellation in 2018), but that was prior to the covid outbreak. I'm worried, but now I'm invested financially (flights are non-refundable -- hopefully concert ticket and hotel are), so I'll just have to let it play out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Have you ever been able to see him live yet?

I attended a concert of his in Chicago back in 2013 and it was magical. I was seated in the second row up front and was able to closely watch him conduct the orchestra. He also did like 6 or 7 encores, he just kept coming back up on stage!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sounds like a blast! Although Chicago sounds a bit scary. smile

Yes, I've seen him twice. First was at the Hollywood Bowl in 2012, but I was seated so far away from the scene, I could just as well have been watching from the moon. I also thought I had lost both my camera and cell phone, so that soured my mood. Fortunately, both were retrieved in different locations the next day.

Second time was fantastic. Boston Symphony Hall in 2014. I was seated just 3-4 meters from the stage and watched him upclose (although from the side). Much like your experience, I would imagine.

I went to the London concert in 2018, despite Williams cancelling at the last minute due to an illness after he had landed in the English capital. I acquired a cheap standing ticket for his Vienna concert last year, but ultimately had to cancel my trip (due to a previous engagement -- ironically as host for a Williams concert in Oslo). It figures, of course, that Williams DID turn up for this.

So yeah -- if this happens, it will be the first time I see him on European soil.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Haha, I was blissfully unaware of Chicago’s unsafe-ness back then. I also mainly spent my time downtown, and that’s perfectly safe. It was when I wanted to track down a certain Banksy piece (of the stroller falling down a stairs, inspired by The Untouchables) that I may have ventured into not-that-safe territory. An added bonus of seeing Williams in Chicago though is that he performed with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, with the same horn player who also performed the horn on the original Hymn to the Fallen recording.

And I know what you mean with the Hollywood bowl, haha. I attended a classical concert over there in 2015 and was seated in the back as well. You don’t really get the thrills of a live concert performance with a huge orchestra that way. But it was nice having been there.

The Boston Symphony Hall sounds amazing, also given Williams’ history with Boston! Hope the new concert will happen! Ever been to Berlin before? That city really surprised me in a positive way when I visited back in 2018.
  1. Thor wrote
    I just bought a ticket for John Williams' concert with the Berlin Philharmonic on Thursday, October 14th. I know that Pawel got a ticket for the Saturday concert. Did anyone else manage to secure a ticket this morning?

I can confirm the Saturday ticket. If I'm lucky I'll try to combine it with a small weekend trip to what is one of my favorite cities. My brother doesn't live there anymore (moved back to Poland this year), but he still has friends.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Thor wrote
    Ugh, I blew it. Forgot this morning that today was the day they go on sale and by the time I got there (only a couple hours after sales opened) it was sold out. I may just have passed up the only opportunity I'll ever get to see John Williams live in concert. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    The Boston Symphony Hall sounds amazing, also given Williams’ history with Boston! Hope the new concert will happen! Ever been to Berlin before? That city really surprised me in a positive way when I visited back in 2018.

Yes, I've been there many times. First time in the early 90s with a youth choir I was in. But I've gone every year for the last 6-7 years for the Nordic Film Music Days in February (during the Berlinale). Unlike Chicago, it's safe to move around most places, but it's a city you have to "get". There is not really ONE city centre, there are many. And quite some distances between them, so you'll have to move around with public transport a lot. It took me a few years, but I'm starting to "get" the city now. That raises the experience considerably.

I've booked flights from Wednesday to Sunday, so I'm not sure what I'll do this time (other than the concert on Thursday). Seen most of what the city has to offer. Perhaps it's time I take a train OUTSIDE Berlin for some sights I haven't seen? Any recommendations from folks who know the area?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yes, I learned that the hard way, about Berlin not having one city center. I only had a few days there and I was all over the place, going from one sightseeing place to the next with the metro.

First thing that springs to mind about doing outside of Berlin is what I later discovered and wished I’d gone is a tour of the Babelsberg Film Studio’s, where amongst others Metropolis was shot and several Fritz Lang films (assuming you’ve already been to the Potsdamerplatz Film Museum).
  3. Potsdam (where the Babelsberg studios are) also has a massive number of palaces and gardens, if you're into that sort of thing. It's only a half hour from Berlin by train.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2021
    I'm aware of the Babelsberg studios. I once hosted a webpage for composers Eike Hosenfeld and Moritz Denis, who came out of that school and worked a lot with the Babelsberg orchestra. Never been to the campus, though. A trip to Potsdam sounds nice, thanks for the tip.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Potsdam's a lovely city. I've seen both the palace complex (and that's an understatement!) and a bit of the "old town"
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorOnyaBirri
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2021
    Greetings all, has anyone picked up the latest version of Images, and if so, how would you compare it sonically to the previous version?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2021
    I didn't pick up the CD, but I got the lossless files. I couldn't really discern any major upgrade in terms of sound, but I replaced my iTunes files anyway, just in case there are improvements I haven't discovered yet. I will not be buying the new CD.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorOnyaBirri
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2021
    Thor wrote
    I didn't pick up the CD, but I got the lossless files. I couldn't really discern any major upgrade in terms of sound, but I replaced my iTunes files anyway, just in case there are improvements I haven't discovered yet. I will not be buying the new CD.

Thanks. I think the previous version sounds fine, so I can probably stick with that. Looking forward to our next Zoom chat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2021
    Less than two hours to the Williams/Berlin concert! I'll take the bus to the Philharmonie any minute now. Fat chance that any Maintitlers are here, I know, but just in case -- send me a message on Facebook for a possible meet-up. Or post here.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I hope you have fun, that it becomes an unforgettable experience
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. I don't think it will stream outside Germany, but the radio station RBB KULTUR will cover the Saturday concert live from 20:00 o'clock.

www.rbb-online.de/rbbkultur/radio/programm/schema/sendungen/berliner_philharmoniker/archiv/20211016_2000.html
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Enjoy Thor!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2021
    It was great! (although nothing can beat the 2014 Boston Pops concert for me). Need to sort my thoughts and write a review when I get back home.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I listened on the radio and even that was great!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2021
    Here is my review, for anyone interested:

http://celluloidtunes.no/john-williams- … armoniker/
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    Here is my review, for anyone interested:

http://celluloidtunes.no/john-williams- … armoniker/

An interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps Williams' lack of comment early-on was because of your 'hard stare' at him?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn