• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyway, to bring things back to a more palatable subject...I'm listening to the suite Erik and I like how you have started off with "The Planet Krypton".

Nice suite!

Thanks. A lot of thought went into the creation of the suite before hand in my head over the course of a few weeks. And surprisingly the suites sounds like it did in my head.... some what.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2008
    Great suite Erik, great work! This goes most likely directly on to my iPod! smile
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    CINDERELLA LIBERTY
    Composed and Conducted by JOHN WILLIAMS

INTRADA Special Collection Volume 70

Mark Rydell’s Cinderella Liberty (20th Century Fox, 1973) is a quintessential film of the Seventies: low-key, character-driven, gritty and realistic, sometimes tragic, often moving. The story finds seaman John Baggs, Jr. (James Caan) adrift in Seattle and trolling the local bars when he encounters Maggie Paul (Marsha Mason), a pool hustler and hooker. Baggs in fact has skills of his own and winds up hustling Maggie by beating her at pool and winning an evening with her free of charge. Once he enters Maggie’s squalid apartment, Baggs finds that she has a teenaged African American son, Doug (Kirk Calloway). Although Doug is openly hostile to Baggs, it’s also clear that Maggie is barely providing for the young man. Baggs becomes very much involved romantically with Maggie over the course of the story, but what emerges is that the real bond is between Baggs and Doug.

John Williams was Rydell's composer of choice for Cinderella Liberty, having previously worked on The Reivers and The Cowboys. Cinderella Liberty afforded Williams an opportunity to break away from the symphonic direction he was headed, in fact the style is not symphonic but lies somewhere between lounge and blues. Toots Thielemans’ harmonica adds a home-cooked vibe that reflects the honest, moral simplicity of James Caan’s character, while Williams’ sophisticated string arrangements and rhythm sections add the lounge sensibility that speaks to Mason’s background as a woman used to manipulating her male clients. Otherwise, Williams created a number of pseudo-source cues for the streets and bars of Seattle, and the mix of score, source and songs makes Cinderella Liberty one of the composer’s most eclectic albums. That it works seamlessly with the film (both John and Paul Williams earned Oscar nominations) is yet another demonstration of Williams’ mastery of the form and a reminder that while his rich symphonic works may be the ones for which this legendary composer is best remembered, he has always been capable of delivering great film music in just about any style necessary.

Previously available from 20th Century Fox Records, Intrada's premiere release on CD features the original contents of the LP program, completely remastered.

This release is limited to 3000 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 70
    Retail Price: $19.99
    IN STOCK NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5843/.f

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Niiiiiiice suite indeed Erik!!! cool
  1. May I just barge in here and disagree with everyone regarding Erik's Williams suite?

It ain't nice!

It ain't great!!

It ain't beautiful!!!
    It's frickin' awesome!!!!!!!!!

One of the best edited compilations of themes I've ever heard, and how can you go wrong when the maestro himself is the writer?

Keep going the composer suites please punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008
    shocked

Wonderful post! Thanks a lot!

beer

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    Keep going the composer suites please punk

I agree! We love 'em! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008
    Top man Erik, you rule! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just got a composer promo of the original 3:10 to Yuma (Glenn Ford, Van Heflin) and none other than John Williams was involved in it! Not composer, which was George Duning, but he did some conducting. This was the 50's so it had to be a really early gig. At least I have something few do.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I just got a composer promo of the original 3:10 to Yuma (Glenn Ford, Van Heflin) and none other than John Williams was involved in it! Not composer, which was George Duning, but he did some conducting. This was the 50's so it had to be a really early gig. At least I have something few do.
    Tom smile

Cool info that you would only know. Thanks for sharing my man!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    Really? That's cool man! smile

Good ol' Johnny did some conducting for George Duning...Where it all began n'est pas? cool
  2. Hey, Erik listening to your suite has made me wanna check out The Fury, but it looks to be unavailable everywhere in major shops. There's someone on eBay that sells it but it's at a 'Buy now' price of around 90 EUROS. So is the score worth it? I love Williams period from 77-83 because he wrote his best stuff and I will never ever forget those classics. So what can you best compare The fury to?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Tom smile

How can George Duning produce a composer promo!? He retired in the early 80s and passed away in 2000! smile
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    So what can you best compare The fury to?

The Wrath of God. Truly the dark masterpiece of the Williams canon. It out Herrmanns Herrmann at times.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    So what can you best compare The fury to?

The Wrath of God.

biggrin

If there's one score that should be played when the apocalypse comes, then it should surely be The Fury.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In the vein of the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK symphonic suite i am hugely enjoying as we speak, i wanted to ask ERIK and others:

What are the absolute must-haves when it comes to STAR WARS RE-RECORDINGS, in terms of better sound than the originals and with decent performances?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    In the vein of the EMPIRE STRIKES BACK symphonic suite i am hugely enjoying as we speak, i wanted to ask ERIK and others:

What are the absolute must-haves when it comes to STAR WARS RE-RECORDINGS, in terms of better sound than the originals and with decent performances?

I need say only.....

MECO

nuff said! cheesy wink

Seriously though D, I'd just listen to Erik whom I consider this boards foremost Star Wars music expert.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

I highly recommend Gerhardt's Star Wars re-recordings for the Classic Film Scores series.

The Star Wars album (Music from John Williams Classic Filmscores) also contains my favorite re-recording of all time... the brilliant 21 minute Close Encounters of the Third Kind suite. It's mind blowing.
    http://www.amazon.com/Close-Encounters- … pd_sim_m_1

Gerhardt's Return of the Jedi is also excellent. I love his version of "Into The Trap; Fight in the Dungeon" The recording by K.E. Wilkinson is TOP NOTCH.
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Return- … B000003F46

Hear selections during Show #3 of my Charles Gerhardt Special
    http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/gerhardt.html

My favorite Star Wars compilation album is The Star Wars Trilogy with Varujan Kojian conducting The Utah Symphony Orchestra. Perfect performances and top quality sound. It will give your stereo system the ultimate test.
    http://www.amazon.ca/Star-Wars-Trilogy- … B00000153G

Some might point you to John Williams' The Star Wars Trilogy album performed by the Skywalker Symphony but I find the performances dull and the conducting... yes, the conducting lazy. Great sound though. The only solid piece is The Imperial March!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    confused

MECO?

You don't know who MECO is??? wink

Yer missing out buddy! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    confused

MECO?

You don't know who MECO is??? wink

Yer missing out buddy! wink

He is the new brazilian football star, isn't he? tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Has anything more been heard on the re-release of the Indy scores? Any new music? Is it remastered? Have any new tapes been discovered like when they re-released Star Wars?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Has anything more been heard on the re-release of the Indy scores? Any new music? Is it remastered? Have any new tapes been discovered like when they re-released Star Wars?

Nothing yet.

sad

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I only know of DECO, football player. Portugal i think?

What's the other thingy you're talking of, Tim?

Thanks for the suggestions Erik!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Dood... if you don't like disco then stay the hell away!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Meco had a massive chart hit with the Star Wars theme at the same time as the films release.....and yes! It's DISCO cool or vomit depending on POV wink

I expect you could find it on youtube, John Williams gave it a big thumbs up. ( now who's gonna turn down extra greenbacks? biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A question for Fury fans...

Original tracks or album recording?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Album recording! Has far more OOOOMMMPPPHHHH! cool

I still love having ( and at times hearing ) the original tracks though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

I've never heard the OST, but from what I gather it's pretty much a given I would prefer the album recording. (Which is fantastic, so I can't see the original being much better in terms of recording quality.)

Capricorn One is a good example of where I'd much rater listen to the album version (the one recorded with the National Philharmonic) than the OST, which doesn't make for a very pleasant listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Album recording! Has far more OOOOMMMPPPHHHH! cool

I still love having ( and at times hearing ) the original tracks though.

Yup! LSO re-recording is the way to go. But like Timmer said it's very nice to have those OST tracks as well. But nothing beats the LSO performance, the tweaks in orchestration and arrangement and Eric Tomlinson's magnificent recording! Plus, you get the unused "Epilogue."

-Erik-