• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    I'd say purchase both the RCA versions of the Star Wars SE's and the Star Wars Anthology. The RCA releases contain all almost all the music composed for the entire Star Wars trilogy and have phenomenally well produced booklets. The Sony Classical releases have the same content music wise but skimp out on the booklet.

As for the Anthology release... IMHO, it's one of the greatest soundtrack releases of all time. It contains four CD's.

The first disc is the "album presentation" of Star Wars put into a more chronological order but still containing the album edits.

Disc two contains the expanded edition of The Empire Strikes Back in chronological order with The Hoth Battle separated into 5 individual tracks unlike the RCA version which is one long 16 minute track. NOTE - "Leia's Instructions" are on Disc 4.

Disc 3 contains the expanded edition of Jedi with the original Ewok Celebration and Lepti Nek which isn't on the RCA release.

All three of these CD's contain superior sound to the RCA releases which are hissy and compressed. And Empire's mix is all wrong.

Disc 4 of the Anthology contain previously unreleased cues and alternate takes... all of which can be found on the RCA release but again contains far superior sound to the RCA releases. And if you have iTunes you can easily add these cues to the other three CD's and order them chronologically.

So, while it's great to have all of the music from the Star Wars trilogy on the RCA/Sony Classical releases the sound quality, especially on the Jedi disc, is poor. I always listen to my Anthology sets.... except for Star Wars. In this care I turn to the RCA CD's because it plays in chronological order.

My two cents.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    YOU HAVEN'T GOT THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS SCORES YET!? shocked

I do, but not the completes.

Steven wrote
    I've learned not to underestimate Anthony's pessimism.

biggrin

I only brought it up because I just spent £20 on the completes and then saw newer versions available. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    Anyone got a chronological track listing of The Terminal? Would greatly appreciate that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    Anyone got a chronological track listing of The Terminal? Would greatly appreciate that. smile

That's a lovely charming score which I hadn't heard in ages before I watched the film last night on BBC2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yup, that's why I was reminded to ask about the chronological listing. I love that film, it's such a heart warming and well-acted little film. Granted, it should have ended when the Romanian cabby said "Thursday", where the camera should have just panned up watching the taxi drive away... but no, Spielberg had to wrap it up. It didn't need that end scene! angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yup, that's why I was reminded to ask about the chronological listing. I love that film, it's such a heart warming and well-acted little film. Granted, it should have ended when the Romanian cabby said "Thursday", where the camera should have just panned up watching the taxi drive away... but no, Spielberg had to wrap it up. It didn't need that end scene! angry

He has a tendency to over-egg his products, even Schindler's List.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Indeed the meeting at the grave was A BIT too much.

And the unplanned joke that is the usage of Yerushalaim Chel Zahav in the liberation scene. biggrin

In Israel they exchanged it, because the song is a pop piece from the 60s biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008
    Listen to John Williams' new score heard in the Democratic National Convention video "A Timeless Call" narrated by Tom Hanks and directed by Steven Spielberg.

Link to streaming video from the official DNC site (may require plug-in download)
    http://gallery.demconvention.com/Defaul … =-85"

Thanks to the people at jwfan.net for the info.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2008
    Very nice music. Although I'm in no rush to get it, I already have Amistad and Saving Private Ryan.

Urgh, way too patriotic for me. I know that's its job, but as a Brit watching it, it's too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    They recorded the score two weekends ago at Sony.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    what new score is that?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    what new score is that?

Talking about Erik's post......wake up D spin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He wrote a score for Democratic National Convention? rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Seems so. For Spielberg/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    He wrote a score for Democratic National Convention? rolleyes

Yeah, but don't worry, if you've got Amistad and Saving Private Ryan, you already have it. Nice, but nothing new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited
    The first signs of the Concord Records Indiana Jones Trilogy re-releases courtesy moviemusic.com

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK EXPANDED

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/ra … stark-rmst

Tracklisting

1. In the Jungle
    2. The Idol Temple
    3. Escape from the Temple
    4. Flight from Peru
    5. Washington Men/Indy's Home
    6. A Thought for Marion/To Nepal
    7. The Medallion
    8. Flight to Cairo
    9. The Basket Game
    10 Bad Dates
    11. The Map Room/Dawn
    12. Reunion in the Tent/Searching for the Well
    13. The Well of the Souls
    14. Indy Rides the Statue
    15. The Fist Fight/The Flying Wing
    16. Desert Chase
    17. Marion's Theme/The Crate
    18. The German Sub
    19. Ride to the Nazi Hideout
    20. Indy Follows the Ark
    21. The Miracle of the Ark
    22. Washington Ending & Raiders March

Oooooooooooh, baby!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hell yes!

Erik, your the expert for that score - is that everything as heard in the movie?

Even more importantly, cannot friggin' wait until they do Temple of Doom!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Hell yes!

Erik, your the expert for that score - is that everything as heard in the movie?

Yup... all there.

New tracks include

5. Washington Men/Indy's Home
    10 Bad Dates
    13. The Well of the Souls (which is an 11 minute piece... only the first half is on the DCC release)
    14. Indy Rides the Statue (my most requested track)

I don't like that "Washington Ending & Raiders March" is one track. I prefere the DCC version. Also, the shorter version of the Raiders March isn't on this release but it is on the DCC release. I wonder if the liner notes are going to be as good as Lukas Kendell's DCC notes.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Doesn't the movie have the end cut off of The Warehouse and it leads straight into the Raider's March?

And damn, I totally forgot about these releases. I guess the old versions of Raiders are going to be REALLY hard to find after this comes out. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    MORE INFO from Peter Kelly at moviemusic.com

Indiana Jones: The Complete Soundtracks Collection

For the first time ever all four Indiana Jones soundtrack albums are available in this limited edition collectible CD boxed set! Included are expanded and remastered versions of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and exclusive to this set: Indiana Jones & The Temple Doom, and Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade. This set also includes the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull soundtrack plus a bonus interview CD with composer John Williams on the making of this historic music. Housed in a handsome embossed slip case and presented with a full color booklet, this set reintroduces the iconic original Indiana Jones film scores by Oscar-winning composer John Williams - out of print since 1995! A must for fans and collectors alike, all will rejoice in having all these soundtracks presented together expanded with previously unreleased music - along with this summer's blockbuster Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull available together for the very first time. Relive the musical adventure today!

COMPLETE EVERYTHING. HOLY GRAIL FOUND!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But it sounds like they are only going to release the Raiders complete separately?

And it doesn't even sound like KOTCS will be expanded???

Either way, im SO buying that!

When? Where? How much?!! punk
    • CommentAuthorsteb74
    This is splendid news !!! beer
    Spladooosh indeed punk
  3. Yeah!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008
    shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Should I just create an Indiana Jones thread?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

YES! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

YES! cool

Do it!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008
    I just counted how many scores by Williams I bought:

Far and Away, Jurassic Park, Hook, Schindler's list, Phantom Menace, Empire Strikes back, A.I....

So when I started to find Williams annoying???When he was one of the composers with more cd's in my discography some time ago!!!!

shocked

Anyway, I'm starting to love again this old man.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008 edited
    You are missing a ton of great music. Why don't you even have Radiers? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    You are missing a ton of great music. Why don't you even have Radiers? tongue

No, and If I have to buy a Indiana Jones scores, Raider will not be tongue

The last Crusade could be my chooise. But the Indiana Jones Soundtracks Collection will be sure in my..collection