• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Must apologise for not being able to play this game. With a cousin's wedding and many relatives in Sydney just for the weekend, I'm a bit worn out to think about film music! dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    Must apologise for not being able to play this game. With a cousin's wedding and many relatives in Sydney just for the weekend, I'm a bit worn out to think about film music! dizzy

the one game he may score as many points as he can, and he doesn't play wink
    No problem Franz, next time bud
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Contestants: 7

1. JuPe (29 points) wave
    2. Plindboe (20 points) wave
    3. Bregt (16 points)
    4. FalkKirkBairn (14 points)
    5. Southal (12 points)
    6. Anthony (6 points)
    7. Christodoulides (2 points)

Guessed the Bonus Sample: Bregt, JuPe, Plindboe punk

And JuPe breaks free from all the rest and Plindboe says goodbye to Bregt! will Bregt and the others let this happen? You'll find out soon enough when Score Game continues

Answers will be posted tomorrow morning as I'm not home today, if people want another shot, this is their last day to do so
  4. Well I guess this game is over, congratulations to JuPe as he knew most of the scores, now here are the answers

Sample 1: The Last Unicorn (Jimmy Webb) 1982 still available at screen archives
    Little unknown piece of acclaimed songwriter and singer Jimmy Webb. In fact one of the few scores he composed was for The Last Unicorn. But that didn't stop him from creating a lyrical dance for the unicorns themselves. This track is called "Unicorns in the Sea"

Sample 2: Shoot to Kill (John Scott) 1988
    Perhaps more known as Deadly Pursuit in the UK, Sidney Poitier and Tom Berrenger star in one of John Scott's more memorable themes. This terrific sax and brass statement surely gets me every time. This track is called "Shoot to Kill" and "End Credits" on the bootleg of King Kong (part of bonus tracks)

Sample 3: Memphis Belle (George Fenton) 1990
    Always somewhat forgotten when you mention the timeless classics George Fenton has written. Truthfully its one of his most shining and epic moments he ever wrote and this blazing performance is testament of that. This track is called "The Final Mission".

Sample 4: Point Break (Mark Isham) 1991 still available at intrada / screen archives
    If some people bitch about this release being a weak and boring one, why not show them what they are missing! This skydive moment is ala Drop Zone centered around a captivating epic feel, saturated through synths that give it an extra oomph of majesty. This track is called "Sky Dive".

Sample 5: Article 99 (Danny Elfman) 1992 still available at intrada / screen archives
    Elfman is known for many things, but Article 99 still holds one of his most optimistic and best marches. And this moment will clarify that. This track is called "End Credits".

Sample 6: A League of Their Own (Hans Zimmer) 1992
    Who would have thought Zimmer would go jazzy? Well I can not recall enough the brilliance, the rhythm, the emotion and the surprise that awaits you in this score. Sadly only 2 tracks were released on a song album and this track is a variation found on the promo, but the theme surely surfaces on the original album in one of the best tracks ever composed. This track is called "Training Playoffs".

Sample 7: Robin Hood: Men in Tights (Hummie Mann) 1993
    Hummie Mann has been doing his fair share of Mel Brooks comedies but his theme for the rebel of the forest surely is one of his best creations. A rousing piece of brass and too serious bravado, it worked like clockwork in the film. This track is called 'Main Title".

Sample 8: Jingle all the Way (David Newman) 1996
    Considering every David Newman score is being released nowadays, its only a matter of time before Jingle all the Way hits the shelves. And considering the exuberance is all over this little piece, I guess it would be about bloody time too. This track is for now only found on the promo and is called "Showtime & Parade".

Sample 9: Looking for Richard (Howard Shore) 1996
    Often overlooked if it concerns LOTR, only the Shore believers and fans will know this score like the back of their hand. And they will know the difference between this and LOTR, even though the choral darkness is what made Peter Jackson a believer. This track is called "Ghosts".

Sample 10: D3: The Mighty Ducks (J.A.C. Redford) 1996
    J.A.C. Redford is most known in my eyes for his wonderful adaptation of the themes of David Newman for the first Mighty Ducks movie. In the third he makes of it a rousing piece interspersed with his own musical material. The result is one of staggering enjoyability. This track is called "Victory over the Varsity".

Sample 11: Wild America (Joel McNeely) 1997 still available at intrada / screen archives
    Joel McNeely is too good a composer to be held back and moments like these show why he was once called the next John Williams. The 7 minute roller coaster ride is then also one of his best creations. This track is called "Marshall Flies the Skybolt".

Sample 12: Kull the Conqueror (Joel Goldsmith) 1997
    If people liked The Scorpion King then they will surely like this one too. A terrific balance between electric guitars and orchestra, this score is about having fun while listening. It was an early yet appreciated entry of the son of Jerry Goldsmith. Sadly many people forgot how to listen. This track is called "Saving Zereta".

Sample 13: The Second Jungle Book (John Scott) 1997 still available at intrada / screen archives
    Don't mistake this one for the animation or other Jungle Book 2 film. This live version is a failed attempt to capture the spirit and the heart of Mowgli and Baloo. However that didn't stop John Scott for going for a wonderful dramatic theme finale. This track is called "Harmony Returns to the Jungle".

Sample 14: American History x (Anne Dudley) 1998
    Anne Dudley may have won an Oscar for The Full Monty, this track alone deserves an Oscar for its strength and total mindblowing presence on screen. In between all the dramatic darkness, it was a piece that made the soundtrack breathtaking and worthy of much more praise than it has received. This track is called "Playing to Win".

Sample 15: The Hi-Lo Country (Carter Burwell) 1998 still available at screen archives
    Carter Burwell has always been a composer with a distinct style. A style nobody else possessed. And if that style would mesh with a more epic scenery it would sound something like this. This track is called "On to California".

Sample 16: Beautiful People (Gary Bell) 1999 still available at screen archives
    I needed to have this so badly when I first heard it appear in the Television series Terug naar Siberië. And the reason is simple. If someone is not dancing when they hear this, they surely have no rhythm. It was the best moment in an otherwise tantalizing soundtrack. This track is called "Churchill's Mistake".

Sample 17: The Adventures of Pluto Nash (John Powell) 2002
    If John Powell writes themes they often tend to contain energy, rhythm and a whole doses of crazy fun. The theme for the failed Eddie Murphy movie is nothing but staggering in all those creative points. Sadly for now it has only appeared on a promo and needs to be heard on disc instead in the film. This track is called "Main Title".

Sample 18: Astérix & Obélix: Mission Cléopâtre (Philippe Chany) 2002
    Never heard of the man but his Asterix score surely gave me a reason to do so. Only a glimpse of the film was needed to appreciate and adore the big orchestral, ethnic and epic scale of Chany's writing. Writing for orchestra is always tricky. Bringing powerful adventure music through it all the more rewarding. This track is called "Les pirates".

Sample 19: Forbidden Warrior (Mike Verta) 2004 download available at http://www.mikeverta.com/
    Mike Verta is a man of many things. The new Superman logo was his, this little score was his too. Downloadable through his site, you can hear all the samples he wrote for this movie. And his theme in the John Williams sense is surely one I keep returning to time and time again. This track is called "Main Titles - Reprise".

Sample 20: Les Dalton (Alexandre Azaria) 2004
    A temp track of all sorts, but Les Dalton is a wonderful orchestral score all the same. Alexandre Azaria still returns to his roots and for Les Dalton he meshed all temptrack ideas together and the result is an orchestral score of many highlights. This theme is but a glimpse for what to expect.

Sample 21: Man of the House (David Newman) 2005
    I'm a sucker for David Newman material and the cool theme for Man of the House shows why. Its too cool for words! Sadly as with many scores of him, this one too is discovered as a promo in trading circles. The score itself may not deserve a total release, this moment surely does. This track is called "End Credits".

Sample 22: Cirque du Soleil: KÀ (René Dupéré) 2005
    From the moment Journey of Man captured my heart, I needed to hear more of Cirque du Soleil's material. And René Dupéré's KÀ is nothing short of brilliant. This love theme is one of the best I heard and the progression it makes during the track still keeps me gasping for air every time I hear it. This track is called "Love Dance".

Sample 23: Goal (Graeme Revell) 2005
    Graeme Revell is a good composer, if he can do something beyond the dreary look he constantly keeps returning to. The Power Rangers, his Call of Duty 2 material and Goal are but some of the examples. I loved the movie and the score surely helped. Even more, I find it one of Revell's most stirring moments ever. A song album was released with this track as finishing touch. This track is called "Score: Premiership Medley".

Sample 24: Half Light (Brett Rosenberg) 2006
    Still one of the best releases of MovieScore Media, Brett Rosenberg wrote it all for the thriller Half Light. Thrilling and scaring, epic and stirring, beautiful and emotional. This theme is a representation of the man's cunning and surely a sight for sore ears. This track is called "Rachel's Theme".

Sample 25: Arthur and the Invisibles (Eric Serra) 2006 still available at intrada / screen archives
    Who would have believed this is Eric Serra? This is the man who is responsible for killing the Bond music. The man who always returns to his electronics. Well here adventure and orchestra is what seizes the day. And his wonderful score for the invisibles is one I just loved from the beginning. This track is called "The Minimoys Finale".

Bonus: The Prince of Egypt (Hans Zimmer) 1998
    This supposed to be an easy one. However most people didn't hear the God theme in the last four notes of the sample. I chose this one because it stands for probably the greatest Zimmer moment. Its better than the final track of The Da Vinci Code, Crimson Tide or heck even Backdraft. This is the version that defines Moses coming down from the mountain, bringing the 10 commandments to his people. This version wasn't used in the film and was replaced by a final "deliver us" moment. But I believe that this one still adds layers of majesty beyond the original version. Its found on the promo that contained the "Chariot Race" track as well and is surely a moment of Zimmer magic, Zimmer brilliance. This track is called "The 10 Commandments".

There you have it, I hope it wasn't too frustrating for most and that you're ready for another bunch of hidden treasures in the future because there is truly too much good stuff out there that we haven't heard yet. I hope some are gonna search for several of these. And if you need more info, half of these titles are found on my old website

Until next time
    Yours truly Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008 edited
    I have America History X!
    And I didn't knew!

Looking for Richard / Dogma / LOTR, it's all the same. tongue

Very good game, pity not more people played.
    Kazoo
  5. Damn... I will copy and paste the document I was just typing.

1. Jimmy Webb, THE LAST UNICORN (1982)?
    2. Hmmm... which Sidney Poitier film could this be... guessing John Scott's SHOOT TO KILL (1988)
    3. George Fenton, MEMPHIS BELLE (1990)
    4. Mark Isham, POINT BREAK (1991)
    5. Danny Elfman, AMAZING STORIES 2? (1992)
    6. Most hated? Well, i reckon it ain't Horner, so it much be Zimmer. However... this track is a pretty explicit ripoff of Louis Prima's jazz classic 'Sing Sing Sing'. If Zimmer would write this for anything, it would have to be TOYS (1992).
    9. Howard Shore, LOOKING FOR RICHARD, (1996)
    14. Ann Dudley, AMERICAN HISTORY X (1999) - if only she had won her Oscar for this instead, she might be better regarded...
    15. Carter Burwell, HI-LO COUNTRY (1998) - one of my favourite Burwells!
    16. I like it!
    18. Ok, so Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston in DERAILED are troubled by Vincent Cassel, who is married to Monica Bellucci. And Gerard Depardieu played the father in both the French and the American remake of 'My Father the Hero'. The two appear together in MISSION CLEOPATRA (2002), the Asterix adaptation scored by Philippe Chany. Seriously - I deserve 5 points for those cartwheels! (Though I probably should have recognised the score on its own merits!)
    19. I would have guessed this was a John Williams score that I'd somehow missed. The use of the woodwind triplets is a very Williams thing.
    20. Alexandre Azard, LES DALTON, (2004)??
    24. Brett Rosenberg, HALF LIGHT (2006) - Swedish label was the giveaway
    Bonus: Alan Silvestri, THE MUMMY RETURNS

I wasn't doing TOO badly! slant
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Sample 8: Jingle all the Way (David Newman) 1996
    Considering every David Newman score is being released nowadays, its only a matter of time before Jingle all the Way hits the shelves. And considering the exuberance is all over this little piece, I guess it would be about bloody time too. This track is for now only found on the promo and is called "Showtime & Parade".

Not only did I get this right, I knew the scene it was from.

Someone, please shoot me. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    6. Most hated? Well, i reckon it ain't Horner, so it much be Zimmer. However... this track is a pretty explicit ripoff of Louis Prima's jazz classic 'Sing Sing Sing'. If Zimmer would write this for anything, it would have to be TOYS (1992).

Wow. There goes another one of my favourites. slant
    (It was a cue from A League of Their Own)
    Kazoo
  6. I'm surprised that the bonus cue was PRINCE OF EGYPT. Isn't there an identical 'Middle East'-style theme in MUMMY RETURNS?

It makes sense - A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN. That is a 'training montage' style cue.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    Isn't there an identical 'Middle East'-style theme in MUMMY RETURNS?

I thought it was that, but it didn't sound like Silvestri!
  7. Indeed. It's rare that something sounds a bit over-the-top for Silvestri! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I was convinced it was Mummy Returns.

Didn't both composers actually lift it from Rozsa's King of Kings? (Yes.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    By the way, thanks for another good game. I continue to be surprised that there's so much good stuff out there I've never heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    A great game, with many neat clips.

I'm sure I could have scored 3-5 more points, had I had the time to send in some more answers. Not that it would have much of a difference in the ranking though.

To anyone who didn't get the bonus this will be your penance; Thou shalt keep the "Prince of Egypt" holy and go and listen to "The burning bush" right now.

Peter smile
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    Damn... I will copy and paste the document I was just typing.

2. Hmmm... which Sidney Poitier film could this be... guessing John Scott's SHOOT TO KILL (1988)
    14. Ann Dudley, AMERICAN HISTORY X (1999) - if only she had won her Oscar for this instead, she might be better regarded...
    16. I like it!
    18. Ok, so Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston in DERAILED are troubled by Vincent Cassel, who is married to Monica Bellucci. And Gerard Depardieu played the father in both the French and the American remake of 'My Father the Hero'. The two appear together in MISSION CLEOPATRA (2002), the Asterix adaptation scored by Philippe Chany. Seriously - I deserve 5 points for those cartwheels! (Though I probably should have recognised the score on its own merits!)
    19. I would have guessed this was a John Williams score that I'd somehow missed. The use of the woodwind triplets is a very Williams thing.

Well Franz, you would have done incredibly good, Les Dalton of Azaria was probably the hardest of them all and you guessed it, kudos man wink
  9. franz_conrad wrote
    I'm surprised that the bonus cue was PRINCE OF EGYPT. Isn't there an identical 'Middle East'-style theme in MUMMY RETURNS?

It makes sense - A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN. That is a 'training montage' style cue.

In the Bonus cue, you could hear the 2 themes. The first is the Egyptian theme for the main character. Its playfully developped in the track 'The Reprimand' (1.50 to 2.40) and is fully expanded in the bonus cue. Its to signify that the boy has become a man and walks down the mountain carying the 10 commandments. The second theme are the last 4 notes which states by god the god theme. I asumed this God theme would give it away. But in fact it seems that many thought that Zimmer was suddenly the awesome Silvestri wink

Anyhoo, what a track and definitely a worthy track that electrifies The Prince of Egypt even more. To simply end with this track after such a mesmerizing soundtrack is the greatest gift you could ever get as a soundtrack fan
  10. Southall wrote
    By the way, thanks for another good game. I continue to be surprised that there's so much good stuff out there I've never heard.

Glad many liked the game. I have many more moments and clips that warrant a secondary Hidden Treasures Game. But this will be for another time wink

If I would pick out the best samples for you to check out, I would pick:
    - Shoot to Kill by John Scott (superb main theme)
    - Memphis Belle by George Fenton (a soaring main theme)
    - A League of their Own by Hans Zimmer (a simply brilliant Zimmer score brought forward fully in jazzy circumstances)
    - Wild America by Joel McNeely (one of the best tracks he's written, a 8 minute rollercoaster ride)
    - American History X by Anne Dudley (a dark and brilliant score, with a supberb moment as finale)
    - Ka by Renee Dupere (totally beautiful score)
    - Arthur and the Invisibles by Eric Serra (orchestral score full of adventerous and soaring moments)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The only clip I recognized upon hearing it (and the only score I have in my collection) was Elfman's ARTICLE 99. If I'd had the time to play the game properly, I would probably have guessed a few more if going only by "style" of the music and the hints that were given eventually, but for the most part, this was a really not a quiz for me. But some nice musical bits there!
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Tommy_Boy wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Damn... I will copy and paste the document I was just typing.

16. I like it!

Well Franz, you would have done incredibly good, Les Dalton of Azaria was probably the hardest of them all and you guessed it, kudos man wink

To be honest, your 'LUCKY LUKE' clue was the giveaway. That was the only project in the last few years on imdb connected to Lucky Luke! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2008
    What is The Last Unicorn soundtrack like? I really like a lot of Webb's songs.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Tommy_Boy wrote
    - A League of their Own by Hans Zimmer (a simply brilliant Zimmer score brought forward fully in jazzy circumstances)

Louis Prima. 'Sing Sing Sing'. There's an excellent version by Benny Goodman.

I'm just saying. cool
  13. Timmer wrote
    What is The Last Unicorn soundtrack like? I really like a lot of Webb's songs.

Well to be honest, its been a while since I heard it. But I do know that the main song for the soundtrack is very catchy and good. So alongside this excellent lyrical track that covers at least some nice moments
  14. Tommy_Boy wrote
    Sample 19: Forbidden Warrior (Mike Verta) 2004 download available at http://www.mikeverta.com/
    Mike Verta is a man of many things. The new Superman logo was his, this little score was his too. Downloadable through his site, you can hear all the samples he wrote for this movie. And his theme in the John Williams sense is surely one I keep returning to time and time again. This track is called "Main Titles - Reprise".

I downloaded the entire set of clips for Forbidden Warrior and it quite a decent listen. That's what great about these games - there's always something new to listen to.
    punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008
    Sorry, Thomas. I didn't get around to listen to these. I see a bunch of little-known/non-mainstream scores from the answers and that's something I've always liked. More power to hidden gems!
  15. BhelPuri wrote
    Sorry, Thomas. I didn't get around to listen to these. I see a bunch of little-known/non-mainstream scores from the answers and that's something I've always liked. More power to hidden gems!

hehe, don't worry, there will be a sequel to this one. Then I'll show even more hidden treasures wink