• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I notice today that in this month's Empire magazine, MovieScore Media's release of the score to Let The Right One In gets a whopping 5-star review.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2009
    It couldn't be anyhow different! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I can't see the fuss with this particular score but I am really pleased that Mikael's label is being so positively advertised in a "mainstream" film magazine...though, I'm not sure how many people actually read the score/soundtrack review page.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009 edited
    We read them!
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I can't see the fuss with this particular score but I am really pleased that Mikael's label is being so positively advertised in a "mainstream" film magazine...though, I'm not sure how many people actually read the score/soundtrack review page.

me too, it is a nice score, but 5 stars?
    please

Still I would be really sad if Mikael's label would dissapear from this earth, he has given me some really wonderful moments I cherish to hear again and again
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009
    Hmm, I'm already starting to like that Empire reviewer, whoever he may be wink

So what did he/she write?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think it's worth all the stars. I know my personal tastes tend to be more inclined to such a musical style in general, but still i found that the movie and the score were some of the most genuinely honest and heartbreakingly beautiful experiences i've had for long now.
  4. Joep wrote

Danny Graydon wrote:

"At the core of Tomas Alfredson's romantic horror film is a piercing melancholy that rests upon this hauntingly beautiful score by Johan Söderqvist. The composer...not only exquisitely captures the story's rich emotions (the tender string movements of "Eli and Oscar"), but masterfully weaves in utterly chilling movements ("Virginia Is Bitten") in an impressively subtle way. The horror material arrives stealthily - no clichéd orchestral strings here - and grips fast, with the superb "Lacke Dies" a prime example of Söderqvist's prowess. The vampiric Eli is bestowed a gorgeous string-led theme that is anchored more on yearning than scares, while "Oscar In Love" showcases a spare piano with an unobtrusive string backing that is at once achingly beautiful and sad. A striking piece of work."

The same reviewer also gives 4-stars to the Watchmen "soundtrack" but only 2-stars to Tyler Bates' score; thus adding to the reviewer's reputation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    hauntingly beautiful? This man copies me! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I can't see the fuss with this particular score but I am really pleased that Mikael's label is being so positively advertised in a "mainstream" film magazine...though, I'm not sure how many people actually read the score/soundtrack review page.

I do! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2009 edited
    But of course! Have you heard the score to WATCHMEN?!?

It seems weird to me that you're trying to diminish the reviewer's / review's value just because you don't agree with the marks he gave to the score, regardless that the marking system itself is highly subjective anyway.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    But of course! Have you heard the score to WATCHMEN?!?

It seems weird to me that you're trying to diminish the reviewer's / review's value just because you don't agree with the marks he gave to the score, regardless that the marking system itself is highly subjective anyway.

What?

If that's directed at comments I made, I'm not trying to diminish anyone's value. Joep just commented that he was beginning to warm to a particular reviewer for his review and I'm providing information that may add to (or detract from) that opinion.
  6. Joep wrote

you should Joep, he gives 5 star ratings as quickly as you do tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2009
    MORE info EFFI BRIEST & SOUND CLIPS

http://www.amazon.de/Effi-Briest-Johan- … mp;s=music

cd cover:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 … SS400_.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I'm writing my review today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I heard it and loved it. A bit of an interesting direction for Johan, as it's most heavy and direct on themes and classical in musical nature in comparison with his previous works, but still very beautiful.
  7. Joep wrote
    I'm writing my review today.

I can already guess the rating I think tongue
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I bet you didn't expect me to give a 9/10 rating?
  8. Joep wrote
    I bet you didn't expect me to give a 9/10 rating?

nope, but I was really close cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    And here's Joep's review:
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/effi-briest/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009
    Loved the score. Not superior to LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, but then again not entirely comparable as it's another style this time; still very rich in melodies, i really admire this composer's work. Thanks Joep.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009
    Most importantly this is what you might call his first really epic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009
    After my 1st copy was lost in the mail through some vampire obviously stealing it, SAE was kind enough to send me another one after the 3-4 month waiting period for the 1st one was over, which luckily escaped the bloody teenage gay twilight tit and reached me intact!

What a marvelous score, i am SO glad i made it into owning one of those limited edition MovieScoreMedia Babes! Thanks Mikael for releasing such brilliant music.

One request for the future:

MORE beer
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    There's plenty of older material matching the quality of that score. The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun is at the top of my ''please release'' list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Really? I haven't heard them and i am very much taken with the man's music i have to say.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Mikael: take note.

Fabulous, touching music in there, Joep. Thanks for sharing. I am playing it non stop, damn that man always manages to semi-bring a tear or two to my eyes! (in LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, the "semi" was out wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Joep, i checked out the WORKS section of the website and there's some pretty good music that remains unreleased as you said, sadly; Like "TOGETHER" to which i am listening as we speak; do you happen to know of any promos out there, or any plans for release? Also if there are review promos copies, i am interested to write about his music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd really love to point everyone NOT familiar with this composer, over at

http://www.johansoderqvist.com/music.html

fabulous stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's good. It really is, but I am so not in the mood any more for "moody strings" stuff.
    I guess I'll pass for now.
    But I will keep him on the radar screen. For the future.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn