• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013 edited
    Everything is on the cloud and digital these days; portable and small. Quickly accessible and share-able. This it the exclusive future. Those who don't realize it, will be stuck behind, in romantic nostalgia. Social media is as powerful as ever and 2012-13 have been the first time in modern history were computers and laptops are seeing an official, worldwide, huge diminish in sales whilst smart phones, iphones and galaxies, and of course tablets (Especially ipad and other 7'' android models) are seeing a tremendous rise in sales.

Especially if you're in this business, you're doomed before you even begin, if you're going to think backwards like this.

But Jon, please; you're trying to talk reason and logic in economics with a German, in 2013 wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. And the move to digital download releases means that there's a greatly increased variety of styles of music being released that would never be released if they had to press a physical release.

It is sometimes a breath of fresh air listening to a small-scale score written by a composer I have never heard of who has the freedom to write what he wants, using the tools that he sees fit to use in a way that may be a bit "unorthodox".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And the move to digital download releases means that there's a greatly increased variety of styles of music being released that would never be released if they had to press a physical release.

It is sometimes a breath of fresh air listening to a small-scale score written by a composer I have never heard of who has the freedom to write what he wants, using the tools that he sees fit to use in a way that may be a bit "unorthodox".

Couldn't have said it better beer
  2. Don't get me wrong - if it's financially sensible and practical for there to be a physical CD, I will always choose that option myself. I just understand the realities of the music business as it exists in 2013, and know that when that's not an option, I want to support labels and artists by continuing to buy their digital download releases too.

If labels don't print CDs, but then no-one pays for downloads either, it would be completely reasonable for them to assume that no-one wants the music at all, and stop releasing scores entirely due a perceived lack of market demand.
  3. Whether or not something is cheaper for a studio, or what the future holds (blowing in the wind, up in the clouds), matters not.

Let us take a look at LP's. For all reasonable logic, they should be dead and gone, but they are not. They are not the medium of choice any longer, and the selection is very small, but you can still buy new LP's, and once in a very blue moon, some scores get an LP release.

And despite the fact that long play records have fallen into LaserDisc and 8-track terriroty, there are still businesses out there manufacturing LP players. Making needles. Making new technologies, like needles that don't scratch, and so forth.

As long as there are labels like La La Land Records and Intrada Records (for example, but not limited to), there will always be a niche market for CD's once they fall into disuse. And much like LP's, there will be new technology for CD's; I forsee a day of scratch-resistant CD's being sold at labels, which can hold more data (where, for example, 2CD's worth can fit on 1CD) and still be playable on regular players.

CD's aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The market will dwindle and new tehnology will take it's place, but they will remain.

In the meantime there are good reasons for those who prefer physical CD's, including (but not limited to) resell and having something that can be signed ("Hey mister, sign my hard drive?"), so if they want it that way, then let's not always jump on them for not wanting downloads, regardless of quality format offered (APE, FLAC, what not).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm drunk.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. My review of KON-TIKI for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/04/30/kon-t … oderqvist/

Jon
  5. Southall wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Jon, are you aware of the fact, that they are still using Compact Audio Cassetts in large parts of the world?

Where?

In Africa and India.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Thor wrote
    I'm drunk.

beer
  7. Jon Broxton wrote
    My review of KON-TIKI for anyone who is interested:

Jon

Nice one as always. Thanks!

V.
  8. justin boggan wrote
    Whether or not something is cheaper for a studio, or what the future holds (blowing in the wind, up in the clouds), matters not.

(...)

In the meantime there are good reasons for those who prefer physical CD's, including (but not limited to) resell and having something that can be signed ("Hey mister, sign my hard drive?"), so if they want it that way, then let's not always jump on them for not wanting downloads, regardless of quality format offered (APE, FLAC, what not).

That's exactly how I see it.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I'm drunk.

Thirsty Thor goes shopping
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jon Broxton wrote

Jon

Good review Jon. The general consensus from everyone here at MT seems to be positive.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Timmer wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote

Jon

Good review Jon. The general consensus from everyone here at MT seems to be positive.

I listened to the sound files on Amazon again this morning: I some places it does sound a bit like Adiemus or doesn't it?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013
    Hmmmmmm....
    I wonder what Kon-Tiki's "Reaching Land" was temped with? biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  10. It sounded a lot like something from LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. Is that what you meant?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013
    Yeah. One part of it is completely indistinguishable. And the rest is similar with slightly different notes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2014 edited
    Well, the interview session with composer, director and sound designer today went surprisingly well. We all talked for two hours, and even though some of us were uncomfortable with the English, there must surely be a worthy half-hour of good material there.

The soundtrack for THE KING OF DEVIL'S ISLAND -- with this interview session as a bonus track -- will be available shortly. It's a beautiful score for a fine, fine film.

Also, I was fortunate enough to hear some samples from the score he's working on now -- a new pirate film for kids (co-produced by Disney) called CAPTAIN SABRE TOOTH, a famous Norwegian kiddie hero -- and MAN, was that great stuff. Sounded like a cross between Hans Zimmer and Erich Wolfgang Korngold. Can't wait untill THAT is out. Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ObZ1QkB8pQ
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2014
    THE KING OF DEVIL'S ISLAND, about time! I've seen that film, very strong one and the score fits perfectly.
  11. Is this a film that came out last year?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2014
    It came out in 2010 over here, but I'm not sure about its international distribution dates.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2014 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
    New project for Johan with his long collaborator-director, Susanne Bier (huge fan here, of both smile )

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/07/29 … oderqvist/
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
    Any chance that since the directors of Kon-Tiki are making Pirates 5, that Johan will be brought along to write the music? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2018
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2019
    Listen to more releases music from Battlefield V:

https://soundcloud.com/user-863317691/s … tlefield-v
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2020