• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Only Iwo Jima has a crappy, childlike quality overall and damn awful sound. Not even comparable to Craig Armstrong's work.

No, not even comparable to Craig Armstrong's work.

Not in the slightest.

Nothing remotely similar.

They are totally different creatures.

Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

Clearly different.

As in 'not the same at all'.

wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    lol!

But seriously mate, Letters from Iwo Jima is one of the worst cases of major modern film scores i've ever heard; so childishly constructed, so under-developed, meaningless and totally boring, such a horrible sound quality overall and not a single breath of soul innit, i could never understand how things like that get green-lit and not rejected for the matter of fact.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I don't see them as differently as you do. They're both in the same territory in a way. LETTERS sounds simplistic with a piano and trumpet, WTO sounds simplistic with a choir and full orchestra. Both are trying to tap into an emotion that requires a delicacy beyond either composer's reach. Repetitive though it is (especially in the film), at least LETTERS sounds less obnoxious with its humbler sound. WORLD TRADE CENTRE is like hearing Randy Edelman do a blend of SCHINDLER'S LIST and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

In my opinion.

NP: THE LAND BEFORE TIME (Horner)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, WTC is right in there in the standard dramatic writing by Craig Armstrong; maybe it's something you don't appreciate, hence you can't really tell the difference between that latter and Letters from Iwo Jima. Whilst Letters has a childish main theme, Armstrong has a simple but heavily dramatic and effective one, mostly due to the course of the melodic line and the choice of harmony. The overall effect of this theme is nowhere comparable to the coldness and total carelessness LEtters leaves you with.

Whilst Letters is poorly performed and tremendously bad-recorded, WTC features the standard quality of Armstrong's piano playing and two bonuses: the particularly warm cello performances and the effective choral, all under the simple but coherent and tight performance by the orchestra.

Overall, i can understand if you're not Armstrong's biggest fan - or at least this type of his scoring, but comparing this to Iwo Jima is like claiming that all simple music sounds the same and is of equal quality, something which - i am sure, it's not your intention.
  3. I guess I'm commenting on the emotional bullying both scores participate in when I compare them. Armstrong hits people over the head with most fatuous stuff, while Stevens/Eastwood chip away with a single theme that ticks off the boxes of standard Orientalism. The qualities you refer to in Armstrong's score are as irrelevant as could be as far as I'm concerned. All the production values in the world don't justify the existence of WORLD TRADE CENTER as a film score. If you want cello solos and piano playing and choral support and 'simple but coherent and tight' orchestral performances, there are scores that offer them executed at a higher level musically, and some of them even have the advantage of being good musical storytelling to boot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you watched the movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    For me, Letters from Iwo Jima is an unambitious score written by people aware of, and working well within, their large limitations. It doesn't harm the film, is perhaps the best you could say.

World Trade Centre is just garbage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and WTC harms the film it accompanies?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No, but Eastwood's films are done in a way where music is never going to play a big role, so I think you could say even with a better score Iwo Jima wouldn't be a much better film, but WTC could have been helped by a better score. Though at least it didn't receive the kind of stunt score Stone's previous film did, a rare example of a film made to look a hundred times worse because of its score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008 edited
    I know, but compared to Eastwood's scores, Letters by Kyle Eastwood and Michael Stevens bares none of the quality of the former's works. And it's screaming in comparison.

As for WTC, although i thought it was a very well-constructed movie which avoided silly and unnecessary hyperboles and emphasized the human factor instead, it gets a very fitting score by Armstrong, imo, greatly emphasizing this; the lack of hyperbole and the subtle humane character.

I am interested in what style of film score you'd prefer to hear over Armstrong's effort btw.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Have you watched the movie?

Both. I give LETTERS about 6.5 out of 10, and WTC about 4 out of 10. I think what would have helped LETTERS more than a good score is slightly more diligent editing. Losing 10-20 minutes wouldn't have hurt the film at all. WTC probably wouldn't have been improved much by a better score, but I can think of about ... 50 composers who can tap into elegaic grief with stronger musical technique and less simplistic emotion than Armstrong, who tends to be more effective as a composer for dramatic films when he's writing music so restrained it's almost unnoticable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is there an Armstrong score you really like?
  5. Updated.

I do think Armstrong did pretty well amongst all the songs in MOULIN ROUGE. Things like THE MAGDALENE SISTERS and QUIET AMERICAN work pretty well as scores, but I can't say I would buy albums or listen to them. He fit in pretty well with LOVE, ACTUALLY, because his earnest music is not meant to be taken seriously. BONE COLLECTOR is ok, though it has that annoying 8-note thing he often does in his themes. THE CLEARING is effectively, but almost sub-musical.

If I listen to Craig Armstrong, it's usually because of one of his solo albums, like the piano album. I don't think he's given the world of film music a lot in his occasional forays into it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    petersv wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

Not as good as the original ( but what is? ) but still excellent! cool

Indeed!

NP: Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

One of the best things from Goldsmith's 90:s era. Excellent stuff!

Yeah Mulan's cool, but are you talking about the whole promo? Because that's one so much better than the original version

Absolutely! The promo has so much more to give and delivers! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LEGEND OF BUTCH & SUNDANCE - Basil Poledouris

Really enjoying this one. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Lord of The Rings - The Return of The King: Complete Recordings - Howard Shore

I had been waiting and waiting for this release since 2003. CD 3 is just priceless!! beer
  6. NP: Les Milles (Desplat)

One of my favourite early Desplat scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Days of Thunder (Zimmer)

The reason why Im here.

Car Building, First Victory, Victory lane....Wow...this theme is pure feeling of triumph!

Why the 6 minutes cue from the last race is not in Any bootleg??? Some people says it's because is by Mancina...
  7. Maybe Nautilus...

Frankly, nobody knows really who composed what in the early MV scores => Hans, Glennie-Smith, Mancina or Van Tongeren...wink

punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008 edited
    Van Tongeren? That's a new one to my ears. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone - John Williams

Wondering how will Williams' style differ if he (very luckily) is back to score the final movie(s)?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Van Tongeren? That's a new one to my ears. shocked

I know, they keep spilling out like a bad gut! wink

vomit
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    With even more exotic names every time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Horton Hears a Who (Powell)

Southall says Powell needs to put some fresh air in his last scores....Im not agree.

Powell had a great impact in the filmusic wth his sound, and this early impact now has become familiar. It's life. He can't do nothing with that.

The only way to scape to this is doing diferent projects. Epics, Ethnics..Etc....

You can't expect nothing more fresh than what he has done all this years. It's impossible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changing the subject...the first 3 tracks wich are the Main title music...It's quite impressive, sadly this obessive and idiot way to edit the last Powell scores.....For Avoid Piracy?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Changing the subject...the first 3 tracks wich are the Main title music...It's quite impressive, sadly this obessive and idiot way to edit the last Powell scores.....For Avoid Piracy?

I don't get it either. How would it help avoid piracy just out of curiosity? If anything, it's lazy editing, designed only to make the CD look longer. Lots of people probably judge a CD by the number of tracks rather than the length (34 tracks looks better than 20 etc.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I don't get it either. How would it help avoid piracy just out of curiosity? If anything, it's lazy editing, designed only to make the CD look longer. Lots of people probably judge a CD by the number of tracks rather than the length (34 tracks looks better than 20 etc.)

How? If you download an score edited in this way, You will have a "break" from one track to another...So if you want a good listening you have to buy the original cd where you the tracks suites fro one to another.

That's an easy way to avoid piracy.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

How? If you download an score edited in this way, You will have a "break" from one track to another...So if you want a good listening you have to buy the original cd where you the tracks suites fro one to another.

That's an easy way to avoid piracy.

That's not really avoiding piracy...you would just have breaks in between the tracks. confused Avoiding piracy would be burning it onto a blu-ray disc that no one can rip! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIENS - James Horner

My god but the 1980's was a brilliant time for film scores. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It was indeed. Although I only speak on behalf of the 80's scores I'm familiar with, I'm sure there was a lot of crap too.

Horton Hears A Who | John Powell

Very fun (and very crazy) score, recommended to fans of Robots and Ice Age 2.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It was indeed. Although I only speak on behalf of the 80's scores I'm familiar with, I'm sure there was a lot of crap too.

Horton Hears A Who | John Powell

Very fun (and very crazy) score, recommended to fans of Robots and Ice Age 2.

Oh there was, lots of horrible synthy stuff that I'm sure Thor will tell you were great! wink