• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    As I didn't grow up in the eighties, I guess I have have mostly "classics" as I wasn't collecting new scores as they came out. Much the same for the 90's, so it's only the 00's that I have any real expertise on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    HORTON | john powell

Sometimes hilarious! "Weeeee aaaaaarrrrreeeeeeeee heeeereeee" or the funny sounds heard in Banana Wars and Suite. And the Mountain Chase cue absolutely mighty!

Sometimes a bit boring, the middle half for example, which gave me a bit the same feeling as Ice Age 2 or Robots.

All in all, a strong beginning and end, making up for a fine album indeed.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    HORTON | john powell

Sometimes hilarious! "Weeeee aaaaaarrrrreeeeeeeee heeeereeee" or the funny sounds heard in Banana Wars and Suite. And the Mountain Chase cue absolutely mighty!

Sometimes a bit boring, the middle half for example, which gave me a bit the same feeling as Ice Age 2 or Robots.

How many times have you listened to it? I must be on my 6th by now, it gets better each time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpetersv
    Timmer wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    petersv wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

Not as good as the original ( but what is? ) but still excellent! cool

Indeed!

NP: Mulan - Jerry Goldsmith

One of the best things from Goldsmith's 90:s era. Excellent stuff!

Yeah Mulan's cool, but are you talking about the whole promo? Because that's one so much better than the original version

Absolutely! The promo has so much more to give and delivers! cool

Yes, I was referring to the academy promo, which really adds a lot of worthy material, I think.

NP: Mr Holland's Opus - Michael Kamen

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    HORTON | john powell

How many times have you listened to it? I must be on my 6th by now, it gets better each time.

I've been listening to it for two days, non-stop, except for sleeping or having meeting.

After so many repeats, it has reached the "BEST" rank in my heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Three times here. smile
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Three times here. smile

Two more and Candyman appears wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Black Hole - John Barry

Again. Oh, for a proper CD release of this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    More John Barry - this time Dances with Wolves - which is a masterpiece. (It must be - it's a 75-minute album which I listen to from start to finish without any complaint!)
  1. NP: Symphonic Impressions of Oman (Schifrin)

Oh man. Oh, MAN! Great to hear Schifrin unfettered by the constraints of film spotting. Grand symphonic music. cool
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. NP: Metropolis - Gottfried Huppertz

Over the last few days I've had a "project".

I came across several posts saying that for a recent DVD release of Lang's movie, Huppertz's score had been re-recorded (arranged by Berndt Heller, played by the Brandenburg Philharmonie Orchester). I've come across several comments mentioning how good Huppertz's score is.

So, I bought the DVD and have just finished lifting the score off the DVD and preparing a 114-minute, 32 cue presentation of the music on CD.

And it is a great score! Full of themes and leitmotifs it's well worth picking up the DVD in order to hear the score played by orchestra. There are several YouTube clips that show off Huppertz's score:

Main Titles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgUo2g-zjdw
    The M-Machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiOQ5RV07xA
    Robot transformation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_uMj4MToe0
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008
    Southall wrote
    More John Barry - this time Dances with Wolves - which is a masterpiece. (It must be - it's a 75-minute album which I listen to from start to finish without any complaint!)

Agreed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Agreed!

-Erik-

Timmer disagrees...

TRUE or FALSE ?

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Incredibles- Michael Giacchino

I wonder how this lay for so long gathering dust on my shelf!? Now goin' to play in all its glory!! punk
  3. NP: Electric Shadows (Zhao Jiping)

Some of the strongest music from Chinese films of the 90s. The cues from Red Firecracker, Green Firecracker probably stand out the most for me with their symphonic sweep, though the spare beauty of To Live and Takemitsu-like Sunbird are also very strong.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote
    HORTON | john powell

Sometimes a bit boring, the middle half for example...

Yay, someone who agrees with me. From ''Horton Dance!'' to ''Mountain Chase'' ? (not including those cues in the bore though!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - lost via domus (game score)

Bring me Lost season 3 Colosseum! angry punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - lost via domus (game score)

Bring me Lost season 3 Colosseum! angry punk

It's still so far away until the 27th! cry

I'm not the biggest fan of the game score. It's heavy use of the ambient music is nice (I love the freaky string stuff as I'm sure everyone knows), but I wish it was more thematic in parts.
  4. Munich John Williams

Some of the themes are really growing on me, very heart wrenching sad
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Bregt wrote
    HORTON | john powell

Yay, someone who agrees with me. From ''Horton Dance!'' to ''Mountain Chase'' ? (not including those cues in the bore though!)

The movie is boring in the middle half too...

NP:Horton Hears a Who

After watch the movie I like more this score, and I notice better the themes.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Bregt wrote
    HORTON | john powell

The movie is boring in the middle half too...

NP:Horton Hears a Who

After watch the movie I like more this score, and I notice better the themes.

Which bit of the movie do you class as boring? The whole Vulture thing? That did go on for a bit too long to be honest...

I didn't really like the ending. *spoilers* Roping down an elephant, putting him in a cage and poking him with sticks. Isn't that a little bit too much for a childrens movie? *end of spoilers*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Munich John Williams

Some of the themes are really growing on me, very heart wrenching sad

That's an exquisite score, sadly underrated.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    X-Men III | John Powell

Long album, but doesn't feel like it. Sign of a good score! I love it. Wouldn't change a thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    X-Men III | John Powell

Long album, but doesn't feel like it. Sign of a good score! I love it. Wouldn't change a thing.

Totally agree. We seem to be alone on this though.

NP Dexter (Daniel Licht)
    Just watched the two seasons of one of the best shows ever. I watched the two seasons in less than two weeks....sick I know, but I just couldn´t stop.
    As for the music, Rolfe Kent´s main title is one of the best I´ve heard for a TV series, and it´s played fully developed in season one finale (amazing by the way).
    The rest of the score by Daniel Licht has plenty of themes that set the tone of the show perfectly. Special mention to the "Blood Theme", simply perfect when it´s played in the show.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    X-Men III | John Powell

Even your good friend Jordi has complaints about this score? Actually that's not saying much, he has complaints about every score. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    X-Men III | John Powell

Even your good friend Jordi has complaints about this score?

Hahaha, yes, even him.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    X-Men III | John Powell

Even your good friend Jordi has complaints about this score? Actually that's not saying much, he has complaints about every score. rolleyes

I'd say the biggest haters of this are actually myself and Demetris. Too long, too quiet in the first half, too loud in the second. Boring! sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Steven wrote
    X-Men III | John Powell

I find the first half a little bit dull. and the action stuff seens a little bit too much based in the ankluns rythms.

it's a 4 stars score, for sure. And the Phoenix theme is amazing....But I prefer Paycheck or Happy feet.

NP:happy Feet

A masterpiece. Like the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're both weird.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008 edited
    biggrin

We're unique, just like everyone else. wink