• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS - James Horner

Cheesy old Roger Corman sci-fi gets top rate score from unknown ( well, practically wink ) composer, gets unknown composer gig for Star Trek II and the rest, as they say is mediocrity....sorry, History! ( I jest of course )

Really good refreshing fun this score! punk

I was listening to some tracks from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan earlier today and I caught myself wishing that Horner would produce something as good as this with the same "rawness". This, for me, is Horner at his best.

It's very unlikely though eh Alan? Maybe like Barry being asked to reproduce his 60's Bond sound for The Incredibles, I think he's probably moved on too much now. Horner was really cooking back then, he's still good IMO but just different.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : HUNDRA - Ennio Morricone

Dafty sword & Sorcery fantasy in the vein of Red Sonja and good stuff it is too!

Fantastic music. Timmer, you are on a real tear here. Lots of great music coming out of your speakers these days.

-Erik-

Coming from you I take that as a great compliment Erik. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP (since last week or so) The Oxford Crimes (Roque Baños)
    I love the love theme. Baños is kinda gifted to write them.

This CD arrived the other day - and Baños certainly has a talent for this style of score. It's a shame that his score for The Machinist didn't get him much in the way of Hollywood projects. (Unless that's not what he wants.)

Hey, glad you liked it Alan!
    Last year in Úbeda somebody asked him if he´d like to work overseas more often. He responded that he is quite comfortable in Spain working with his friends (directors) and that his life is here. His answer was far more elaborated, but the main message is this.
    I´d like to see him working in big american projects, but I don´t know if it´s going to happen.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Horton Hears A Who | John Powell

I believe it's my turn to spin that wheel of ours:

wave spin

I LOVE this score. Especially the Horton Suite, an instant Powell pick-me-up!
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote

I believe it's my turn to spin that wheel of ours:

wave spin

I LOVE this score. Especially the Horton Suite, an instant Powell pick-me-up!
    cheesy

Listening to it too.
    Climbing dangerously to my top animated Powell scores. Every listen is different and with new things to discover. Amazing.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote

I can't wait to get this score - I want to hear those hairy violins!!!

spin tongue
  1. Marselus wrote

I´m afraid we are all McWeirdos actually. I still have to listen something by Desplat that I remotely like (a bit of "Hostage" here, a bit of "Lust, Caution" there....but nothing else).
    Ok, I´m ready for being shot by Desplat´s fanbase biggrin

Don't worry about. People grow up in their own timing. wink

NP: Lifeforce (Mancini)

Quite good. Great title theme - not hard to pick where I've heard that before.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Beowulf | Alan Silvestri

Pretty bloody awesome if you ask me.
  2. NP: When Good Ghouls Go Bad (Gordon)

This is actually quite a moving score. More of a family movie than a scary movie, I suspect. The ten minute 'The Statue and Dance of the Ghouls' is a beautiful climax cue. Some funny references - CREDITED! - throughout the score to Bach and Wagner.

Next up: Ward 13 (Gordon) - one of the better short film scores I've heard. 12 minutes of orchestral mayhem in one continuous track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

A little story:

Back when I had about a dozen or so film scores (it's hard to remember so long ago!) I was an active member of a Star Trek newsgroup (tragic! - and the fact it was a newsgroup is another indication of how long ago) and said something about Jerry Goldsmith and how I enjoyed his Star Trek scores - and had just bought my first non-Trek Goldsmith score, Medicine Man, and really enjoyed that too. Someone from the group emailed me and said he had something superficially similar to Medicine Man, but much better - Under Fire - and would I like a copy? "Sure!"

So, a few days later, a little package arrived, containing a cassette dub of his LP of Under Fire. I vaguely remembered watching the film, didn't remember much about it, and certainly didn't remember the music, so I let it sit there for a while, gathering dust, before finally playing it. And... wow, it just blew me away. Such passionate music, emotional yet intellectual, going so far beyond anything the film required on a basic level... an example of someone writing music because he loved writing music, making it as good as he possibly could, spending far more time with it than was actually necessary.

That was the day I fell in love with film music, the day I was hooked for life, the "thunderbolt" as Mario Puzo would call it. And the day Jerry Goldsmith became my favourite film composer, a position he has held ever since.

And listening to the score again today makes me fall in love with film music all over again. It's rare today to hear a film score showing evidence of a composer going way beyond the call of duty to provide something so extraordinary... and absolutely impossible that it would happen for a somewhat standard Hollywood action film like this... but listening to it again reminds me why I love film music in the first place. It reminds me why I fell in love with the music of a man I knew nothing about called Jerry Goldsmith. It's like going full circle.

Breathtaking music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

A little story:

Back when I had about a dozen or so film scores (it's hard to remember so long ago!) I was an active member of a Star Trek newsgroup (tragic! - and the fact it was a newsgroup is another indication of how long ago) and said something about Jerry Goldsmith and how I enjoyed his Star Trek scores - and had just bought my first non-Trek Goldsmith score, Medicine Man, and really enjoyed that too. Someone from the group emailed me and said he had something superficially similar to Medicine Man, but much better - Under Fire - and would I like a copy? "Sure!"

So, a few days later, a little package arrived, containing a cassette dub of his LP of Under Fire. I vaguely remembered watching the film, didn't remember much about it, and certainly didn't remember the music, so I let it sit there for a while, gathering dust, before finally playing it. And... wow, it just blew me away. Such passionate music, emotional yet intellectual, going so far beyond anything the film required on a basic level... an example of someone writing music because he loved writing music, making it as good as he possibly could, spending far more time with it than was actually necessary.

That was the day I fell in love with film music, the day I was hooked for life, the "thunderbolt" as Mario Puzo would call it. And the day Jerry Goldsmith became my favourite film composer, a position he has held ever since.

And listening to the score again today makes me fall in love with film music all over again. It's rare today to hear a film score showing evidence of a composer going way beyond the call of duty to provide something so extraordinary... and absolutely impossible that it would happen for a somewhat standard Hollywood action film like this... but listening to it again reminds me why I love film music in the first place. It reminds me why I fell in love with the music of a man I knew nothing about called Jerry Goldsmith. It's like going full circle.

Breathtaking music.

Great story James smile

I played this score earlier today and it still has that magic and always will have. So much film music took me by surprise back then in a way it rarely does anymore, the majority of it by Jerry Goldsmith who would continually push boundaries. There really isn't anyone of his like now.
  3. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS - James Horner

Cheesy old Roger Corman sci-fi gets top rate score from unknown ( well, practically wink ) composer, gets unknown composer gig for Star Trek II and the rest, as they say is mediocrity....sorry, History! ( I jest of course )

Really good refreshing fun this score! punk

I was listening to some tracks from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan earlier today and I caught myself wishing that Horner would produce something as good as this with the same "rawness". This, for me, is Horner at his best.

It's very unlikely though eh Alan? Maybe like Barry being asked to reproduce his 60's Bond sound for The Incredibles, I think he's probably moved on too much now. Horner was really cooking back then, he's still good IMO but just different.

Very unlikely!!

I, too, enjoy Horner's music now - and it is certainly different from what he did then. But nowadays he's just doing his take on what most everyone else is doing: mainstream orchestral composing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Marselus wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP (since last week or so) The Oxford Crimes (Roque Baños)
    I love the love theme. Baños is kinda gifted to write them.

This CD arrived the other day - and Baños certainly has a talent for this style of score. It's a shame that his score for The Machinist didn't get him much in the way of Hollywood projects. (Unless that's not what he wants.)

Hey, glad you liked it Alan!
    Last year in Úbeda somebody asked him if he´d like to work overseas more often. He responded that he is quite comfortable in Spain working with his friends (directors) and that his life is here. His answer was far more elaborated, but the main message is this.
    I´d like to see him working in big american projects, but I don´t know if it´s going to happen.

Cheers for the comments!

There may come a time when he will want to "branch out" into American projects.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

A little story:

Breathtaking music.

Great story James smile

I played this score earlier today and it still has that magic and always will have. So much film music took me by surprise back then in a way it rarely does anymore, the majority of it by Jerry Goldsmith who would continually push boundaries. There really isn't anyone of his like now.

It was one of the scores given a very generous treatment on Silva's 2CD 'Essential Jerry Goldsmith' collection. I remembering hearing that suite for the first time being utterly spellbound. I might defer to PAPILLON these days, but it's definitely one of the most stirring film scores ever written.
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    Next up: Ward 13 (Gordon) - one of the better short film scores I've heard. 12 minutes of orchestral mayhem in one continuous track.

And a great 12 minutes it is too!!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

Actually, no it doesn't. It does the opposite! What an awful muddy mess the mix is.

-Erik-

*cue an explosion of anger from the southeastern U.S.*

Either you must have the best pair of ears known to humankind or we're listening to two different scores. moon
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008 edited
    NP: HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

Bravo FSM!

cool cool cool cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    AVPR | Brian Tyler

For every single little thing that angers me, and every person on the phone that pisses me off, this is the musical version of f**k you! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Southall wrote
    And listening to the score again today makes me fall in love with film music all over again. ... listening to it again reminds me why I love film music in the first place.

Good to hear that Southall! Those moments are great, aren't they.

I've been in the exact opposite phase the last couple of weeks. Not listening to filmmusic much, being busy also, not staying up to date here at the forum, almost not caring, just a bit away from it all. It's always ups and downs like that and I'm sure that soon it will be back and it will seem better than ever, either with a new score that blows me away completely or an old one I had forgotten about how great it was.

What always amazes me in these filmmusic-'downs' is that I can feel I miss my music, but I still don't feel like listening to it! Weird. I guess a break is just needed every now and then and I'll just wait till it's back. And I expect I will be flying high again then.
    smile
  7. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!

NP: Navajo Joe, Navajo Joe!! (Morricone)

Never so bold!!!

goat goat goat :aardvark:
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote
    :aardvark:

This is what we need!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008 edited
    I take it you are having a filmmusic peak also, Michael? wink

Cool, we have a goat emoticon! goat
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't want this to become a farm!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    At least add an aardvark, godzilla, an assortment of insects, a goose, mechanical bees, and a badger with a gun. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How about a air-conductor emoticon? We all do it. biggrin
  8. Bregt wrote
    I don't want this to become a farm!

If you can find me a farm with an aardvark, I'll concede that inventing an emoticon for it might be going overboard.

Bregje wrote
    I take it you are having a filmmusic peak also, Michael? wink

No, those are the lyrics! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Beowulf | Alan Silvestri

Very typical 'Mummy Returns' style score from Silvestri. But that's not a negative thing for me, I really enjoy this score, especially the excellent 'Beowulf Slays The Beast' - which I have now added to my ever growing action playlist on iTunes.

Very loud score. It's great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Van Helsing - Alan Silvestri
    Another great gothic action score by Silvestri. I especially love the wild guitars in "Transylvanian Horses" and the big badass choir in "Final Battle"!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Actually, no it doesn't. It does the opposite! What an awful muddy mess the mix is.

-Erik-

Either you must have the best pair of ears known to humankind or we're listening to two different scores. moon

No, because I've heard the original mix and the fact that I was there at the sessions so I know how the orchestra sounded before Wallin farted around with it after the sessions and after Steve Smith's initial mix.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

No, because I've heard the original mix and the fact that I was there at the sessions so I know how the orchestra sounded before Wallin farted around with it after the sessions and after Steve Smith's initial mix.

-Erik-

Which score are we talking about now? dizzy