• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:STOP LOSS (pOWELL)

Wow...What a Goldsmithian theme!

The greatest Tragedy has a very Old Fashioned Epic feeling, a welcome move from powell.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Ocean's 11 | David Holmes

One of the coolest scores ever committed to film. Also one of the coolest films ever committed to... film.

I like this score too! ( afraid the film didn't do a lot for me )

Really!? That is a surprise! shocked

That I didn't care for the film or that I like the score?

NP : L'ENFANT DES LOUPS - Serge Franklin

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : L'ENFANT DES LOUPS - Serge Franklin

cool

Dooood! You continue to floor me. One great score after another and L'Enfant Des Loup is a GREAT score! Well done!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Ocean's 11 | David Holmes

One of the coolest scores ever committed to film. Also one of the coolest films ever committed to... film.

I like this score too! ( afraid the film didn't do a lot for me )

Really!? That is a surprise! shocked

That I didn't care for the film or that I like the score?

That you didn't like the film. The dialogue, the script, the music, the characters... it's all s'damn cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Stop Loss - John Powell

Not for me, I don't think, but at least it sounds different!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Stop Loss - John Powell

Not for me, I don't think, but at least it sounds different!

I do like that ending cue though, 'The Greatest Tragedy'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stop Loss | John Powell

It has its moments for sure, and I do like it. I doubt if it will become a favourite.... but as I said, the last cue is fantastic. Kind of Newmanesque in places.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Stop Loss | John Powell

It has its moments for sure, and I do like it. I doubt if it will become a favourite.... but as I said, the last cue is fantastic. Kind of Newmanesque in places.

shocked for the second time in a week
    Nice main theme, appearing through all the score and with its full develpement in "The Greatest Tragedy". And the guitar part, providing this feeling of loneliness, like being in a dream ("Graveside", "Pool Trip", "Brandon Meets Josh",...).
    Horton, Stop Loss, PS I Love You,....did somebody say Powell had to do something new? Hah!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    People just like to complain a lot on this forum! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I´m amazed with Powell....I don´t know in which order they were written and recorded, but three different scores one after the other in such a small amount of time, and two of them being as good as Horton and Stop Loss (wait ´til april for PS I Love You) is something unique. beer
    Ok, the truth be told, "Jumper" is also there, but I said weeks ago that it was an accident in Powell´s career tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    From what I've heard of PS, I Love You, it's very different to Jumper, Horton Hears A Who, and Stop Loss. Just like Jumper is very different to PS, I Love You, Horton Hears A Who, and Stop Loss. Just like Horton Hears A Who is very different to PS, I Love You, Stop Loss and Jumper. Just like Stop Loss is very different to PS, I Love You, Jumper, and Horton Hears A Who.

...Good lord, here's to Powell! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    From what I've heard of PS, I Love You, it's very different to Jumper, Horton Hears A Who, and Stop Loss. Just like Jumper is very different to PS, I Love You, Horton Hears A Who, and Stop Loss. Just like Horton Hears A Who is very different to PS, I Love You, Stop Loss and Jumper. Just like Stop Loss is very different to PS, I Love You, Jumper, and Horton Hears A Who.

...Good lord, here's to Powell! beer

Haha....that´s the point!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ANGELS IN AMERICA - Thomas Newman

Very good! cool

Indeed. I was listening to that the other day, such a beautifully melodic in places and haunting in others - score with such a dark and at the same time ethereal and captivating atmosphere overall, certainly one of Newman's best scores. I long for the day he'll return to that type of quality work again.

I don't think Newman ever gives anything but quality!

I'd love to hear what Newman would come up with in the realm of Action or Sci-Fi? If only some film makers would take their earplugs out and think outside of the usual pigeon-holing.

Well, The Good German and Little Children suffered in comparison.

You've got to kidding me. What is it then? Do we want composers to try new things, or are they meant to repeat only the things YOU like all the time? angry

I say to to hell with this obsession with set notions of beauty. Who's with me?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is Angels in America a repetition of things, a repetition of any kind? And what's the matter now, Michael?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ANGELS IN AMERICA - Thomas Newman

Very good! cool

Indeed. I was listening to that the other day, such a beautifully melodic in places and haunting in others - score with such a dark and at the same time ethereal and captivating atmosphere overall, certainly one of Newman's best scores. I long for the day he'll return to that type of quality work again.

I don't think Newman ever gives anything but quality!

I'd love to hear what Newman would come up with in the realm of Action or Sci-Fi? If only some film makers would take their earplugs out and think outside of the usual pigeon-holing.

Well, The Good German and Little Children suffered in comparison.

You've got to kidding me. What is it then? Do we want composers to try new things, or are they meant to repeat only the things YOU like all the time? angry

I am.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Is Angels in America a repetition of things, a repetition of any kind? And what's the matter now, Michael?

He's discovered he can't beat me at Guess the Score... again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  2. Christodoulides wrote

Not at all. But it sounds like you would've liked THE GOOD GERMAN and LITTLE CHILDREN a lot more if only they'd been more like ANGELS IN AMERICA.

But they are brilliant executions of their respective briefs. LC finds a modern suburban baroque sound that doesn't echo AMERICAN BEAUTY or IN THE BEDROOM, an achievement alone that's pretty extraordinary. GOOD GERMAN does Max Steiner-style scoring with a strong awareness of period European music and old-school contrapuntal writing, yet still is unmistakably Thomas Newman. They are more challenging works than ANGELS, because their melodic delights are scanter and considerably darker in feel. Both are more about texture than melody. But I don't see how either score could have been better for their films, or better written as music. Come up with a fair critique on either basis and I might buy it, but just saying ANGELS IN AMERICA is better is a lazy comparison. It's saying you want more of THAT, rather than more of what Thomas Newman can do in new territory.

As for ANGELS, beyond its title theme and some of the incidental tracks, it doesn't repeat much from Newman's earlier work. It is one of the highpoints of his work in film, but I wouldn't hesitate to put GG and LC up there too.
  3. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I am.

We shall begin by destroying the Sistine Chapel. It will be more beautiful in our memories than it ever was in real life. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah, obviously somebody bit him as his attack caught me totally surprised and was uncalled for i would say? I didn't force my opinion on anyone and i thought we are all here to debate and not happily-ho agreeing with one another all the time on everything as it's virtually impossible and unnatural? I didn't ask Michael or Steven or anyone else for the matter of fact to agree with me and if anyone else feels the contrary, please let me know via p.m 'cause unlike some, i don't feel like flashing my personal issues on public forums. If Michael or Steven or anyone else has issues against me, please, i'd love to hear about it via p.m.

n.p. JOHN POWELL - Stop Loss

A strong and - in parts, emotional score indeed. It's not what you hear everyday and admittedly not of everyone's tastes, plus it needs a bit to warm on the listener but it's quite a worth-wile work on behalf of Powell for sure. More on it soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

A strong and - in parts, emotional score indeed. It's not what you hear everyday and admittedly not of everyone's tastes, plus it needs a bit to warm on the listener but it's quite a worth-wile work on behalf of Powell for sure. More on it soon.

Agree, I think is a bit in the vein of United 93 but with a strong main theme and an overall better listening experience. A great duo though, United 93 - Stop Loss.
  4. Goodness, don't take it personally. I'm talking about Thomas Newman's music, not you! confused

That whole thing about destroying notions of beauty is a joke, btw. (I would have thought the Sistine Chapel thing would have been a giveaway.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yeah, obviously somebody bit him as his attack caught me totally surprised and was uncalled for i would say? I didn't force my opinion on anyone and i thought we are all here to debate and not happily-ho agreeing with one another all the time on everything as it's virtually impossible and unnatural? I didn't ask Michael or Steven or anyone else for the matter of fact to agree with me and if anyone else feels the contrary, please let me know via p.m 'cause unlike some, i don't feel like flashing my personal issues on public forums. If Michael or Steven or anyone else has issues against me, please, i'd love to hear about it via p.m.

Oh my god dude, lighten up! Neither me or Michael has anything against you!

Some of the things you say can be a little 'debatable' at times, but that doesn't mean we have anything against you as a person.

Take a chill pill. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Agree, I think is a bit in the vein of United 93 but with a strong main theme and an overall better listening experience. A great duo though, United 93 - Stop Loss.

Indeed. I never thought by listening to UNITED 93 alone that that style of sounds and sound design such as the track 'tapes' from that score (or was it another sentence with the word 'tapes' innit? i don't recall exactly, anyway i am sure you get it wink ) could be shifted into something totally different, rawer and slightly more light-spirited like track 3 from STOP-LOSS. That's pure musicianship over there and total knowledge of his material on behalf of Powell. Stop Loss isn't flashy at all but it's certainly very genuine (the cross of guitar overdrives and that modern american rock a la Bear McCreary's "Stop Loss" and "wrong turn 2" i talked about in the previous thread) and also very clever. It surprised me, for one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Goodness, don't take it personally. I'm talking about Thomas Newman's music, not you! confused

That whole thing about destroying notions of beauty is a joke, btw. (I would have thought the Sistine Chapel thing would have been a giveaway.)

Neither element in your initial post revealed the joke element and you know that.

Anyway, end of the matter, i apologize if i took it wrongly. Let's get back on track.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Goodness, don't take it personally. I'm talking about Thomas Newman's music, not you! confused

Neither element in your initial post revealed the joke element and you know it.

Well you know it. And now we are talking about you.

What I said was: "I say to to hell with this obsession with set notions of beauty. Who's with me?"

Now if I read Southall saying that, or Timmer, or Martijn, or anyone, I wouldn't take that seriously. I would take it as self-conscious rhetoric, and I wouldn't need a wink, or Martijn's bright colours, to see it for what it is. There was a time here when I appended every such statement with a wink (ever since someone was offended back at scorereviews.com by my thread about 'killing off composers whose talents weren't being utilised' ), but then I was criticised for being patronising by doing so. What does it take to not be taken seriously? rolleyes

I apologise for any offense. Can we get back to talking about Thomas Newman? (EDIT - Or a topic of your choice?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I believe that was me!? And I still stand by that. Your posts are much better without the winking.... wink (Since I'm British and understand irony. biggrin )
  6. Steven wrote
    I believe that was me!?

Your words landed deeper than you realised! Every wink now for me is a conscious decision: 'what would Steven think?'
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aww shucks... shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    (EDIT - Or a topic of your choice?)

Boobies.