• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011
    Many of those titles are really good. I hope people take a chance on them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011
    This doesn't mean MSM is going out of business, does it??
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Scribe wrote
    This doesn't mean MSM is going out of business, does it??

I would hope not. Times are hard for the small labels and maybe some extreme ways of selling titles are needed?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Times are hard
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Southall wrote
    I don't really know that price is that much of a factor here - simply put, I wonder if it's ever going to be possible to drum up enough people interested in scores for films they haven't heard of, by composers they haven't heard of. I'm not attempting to belittle anything or anyone, but I don't honestly think that sales would be much higher at a price point of $15 than at $18. Simply put - if people are willing to pay $20 for an Intrada CD of some ghastly synth-crap 80s score like Missing in Action 44 (and they are willing to do so, since all those releases sell out within hours) but aren't willing to pay $18 for a sumptuous piece of film music brilliance like Amalia then you just have to think that a lot of this is nothing to do with music or indeed price, it's about nostalgia for certain films. Given the absolute saturation of the market - the fact that Intrada, Kritzerland, FSM, Varese, La-La and whoever else are releasing literally dozens of scores for American movies by well-known composers in any given month, it's always going to be a struggle to penetrate that market. I wish I knew a solution!

Sorry guys, I haven't read all your comments here until now, but James is absolutely spot-on as always. This is exactly our problem. While I was preparing my panel in Ubeda, I was thinking that my main problem is that we invest so heavily in the FUTURE of film music, whereas other labels invest more in the PAST. Obviously, and for quite understandable reasons, most collectors and fans of film music buy music from the past because they KNOW the past.

What is really making the market tough is that people are happy to pay $20 for a fourth version of a mainstream score they already own multiple versions of instead of taking chances on a new composer.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Folks,

Things are going to change for MovieScore Media.

We're currently in negotiations with our distributor, and our deal with them is putting much more pressure on us to concentrate more on commercially interesting products. We simply won't be able to afford taking a lot of chances as we've done before - the reason being that our small scores, despite their high artistic merits, have been extremely difficult to sell on a market which is oversaturated with limited collector's releases of music everyone already owns but want more of.

This means that the selection of titles we're doing in the CD format will be much more limited. We need to try to hunt down bigger titles. We will need to do more stuff like Patrick Doyle's "Man to Man" which is coming out in the next couple of months.

HOWEVER, we will continue to release a lot of music in the digital format, via iTunes, Amazon.com, etc. collectors are going to complain and refuse to buy these digital only releases, but there aren't enough of you buying the physical product - that's just the facts and figures.

We're going to launch a major online soundtrack portal where you will be able to buy our releases AS WELL as all other soundtracks via affiliated links to the major players. We urge you, when we announce this site, to do all your digital shopping here as you will SUPPORT MovieScore Media by doing so, helping us to survive. More updates on this coming soon!

All the best,

mc
  2. Mikael, I'm sorry to hear that but I can only understand the difficulty of the whole situation

I hope everything turns out for the best
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. I am probably guilty more than most people when it comes to buying Mikael's titles as downloads rather than CDs.

In an attempt to reduce unit costs as well as reduce shipping costs, buying a score as a download makes it more likely for me to buy a title at all.

Very early on Mikael did tell me that buying a physical CD is better for him. But in today's climate things can also be difficult for buyers as well as labels.

We all just need to weather this situation and hope we all come out the other side relatively intact.

I have adopted digital downloads: there is a lot of good music out there that is only available through this medium. And I welcome Mikael's initiative to use digital as a route to issue music (did anyone else actually buy anything from Film Music Downloads a few years back?)

One of the things I want to do with the Reel Music blog is to highlight some of the download-only music that is out there.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    moviescore wrote
    We're currently in negotiations with our distributor, and our deal with them is putting much more pressure on us to concentrate more on commercially interesting products. We simply won't be able to afford taking a lot of chances as we've done before - the reason being that our small scores, despite their high artistic merits, have been extremely difficult to sell on a market which is oversaturated with limited collector's releases of music everyone already owns but want more of.

This makes me sad.

This means that the selection of titles we're doing in the CD format will be much more limited. We need to try to hunt down bigger titles. We will need to do more stuff like Patrick Doyle's "Man to Man" which is coming out in the next couple of months.

This makes me kinda happy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am probably guilty more than most people when it comes to buying Mikael's titles as downloads rather than CDs.

Absolutely nothing to feel quilty about, Alan. Any kind of purchase is of course supporting MSM!

I have adopted digital downloads: there is a lot of good music out there that is only available through this medium. And I welcome Mikael's initiative to use digital as a route to issue music (did anyone else actually buy anything from Film Music Downloads a few years back?)CDs.

I hope that FMD came a little too early... The new site we're launching in the next couple of months is called Soundtracks Online and it's going to be a full portal with bigger titles from other labels AS WELL as exclusive albums released digitally by us. We're affiliated with iTunes and Amazon. Most likely, MSM and Screamworks will be our CD brands while everything we release digitally only will be Soundtracks Online.

BTW, if there is anyone here who knows how to programme some additional features in Wordpress, please give me a shout. We need some help...

mc
  4. I think that it is great that there will be what sounds like a central hub for downloads. If what you are hoping to do is have a "one stop shop" for digital releases then, to me at least, I think it will be a valuable resource.

iTunes is rubbish at finding newly released scores, I have to search various online digital release stores and having something that makes finding things easier would be great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011
    The only place where I've bought and am willing to buy downloads is Qobuz - where they offer lossless downloads (and for certain CDs even 'studio masters' quality downloads).

So, especially as you're going to be affiliated with iTunes and Amazon, Mikael, offering lossless downloads worldwide of soundtracks iTunes and Amazon are selling, is a gap in the soundtrack market, and as opposed I am to downloads-only, you'd have my support for sure - so I hope you'll be considering that.

Two good examples are Desplat's A Better Life and The Upside of Anger - both only available in the US, and they're not lossless. Another example is David Arnold's Made in Dagenham, UK only and not lossless either as far as I know.

Considering CDs, I think the following is important to gather a clientèle:
    - offering PayPal
    - offering (unofficially of course) for international customers to mark the package value down
    - reasonable shipping costs (in particular - don't make the customer pay extra shipping costs for 2CDs like FSM's Poltergeist for instance, like SAE does - they raise the shipping cost per disc, instead of per CD)

Anyway - these are just my two cents - and I hope you can have more than that in the near future smile
  5. I wonder the reasoning behind offering lossy versions of music as digital downloads. Is it the labels not wanting to release what are effectively master copies to the general public, is it cost issues associated with pristine-sounding copies, the fact that most peoples' set ups (disc space and download speeds) could not cope with such large files or is it because most people can't hear the difference between lossless and the higher end of lossy?

People need to embrace the opportunity that lossy digital music can provide - the chance to hear new, fresh and experimental music from new composers. Otherwise we are going to be left with just the Hollywood score-by-the-numbers scores that we complain about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2011 edited
    I think it's a combination of storage space (smaller files means less capacity on servers so lower costs), convenience for downloading (longer download period means more likely the download gets interrupted, error, etc.) which weighs stronger than the sound quality issue in the perception of customers. Most of them simply upload it to their iPod to listen during the day like they do a radio, instead of on their stereo where the quality drop is more apparent. Sound quality on this level is much more of an issue with instrumental music than it is with the music for the masses, where any acceptable level is fine.

It is funny, though. While in film there's a craze on increasing the quality of what you get (HD, BluRay etc.), in music quite the opposite is happening.
  6. Eye candy wins!
  7. Thanks to SAE's great sale going on right now, I'm going to take my first plunge into the word of MSM releases (excepting Let the Right One In, I don't own any shame ) I'm looking at the sale list and wondering what to get. Any suggestions for someone that has none of them? I've heard lots of great things about CINEMA SYMPHONY and HOME OF DARK BUTTERFLIES. I'm also considering POSSIBILITY OF AN ISLAND. I love gorgeous music. Are there any here that are must-haves?
  8. christopher wrote
    Thanks to SAE's great sale going on right now, I'm going to take my first plunge into the word of MSM releases (excepting Let the Right One In, I don't own any shame ) I'm looking at the sale list and wondering what to get. Any suggestions for someone that has none of them? I've heard lots of great things about CINEMA SYMPHONY and HOME OF DARK BUTTERFLIES. I'm also considering POSSIBILITY OF AN ISLAND. I love gorgeous music. Are there any here that are must-haves?

I have and enjoy: I Capture the Castle, Home of Dark Butterflies, and Haunting Vallisca. All have instantly memorable themes! The Rebel is good too with great themes that take a few listens to sink in. Some great action music in this one too. If I had to pick only one out of these it would be 'I Capture the Castle.' Absolutely gorgeous/beautiful music! "As It (Perhaps) Was" is my favorite track from that one (listen to the sample on SAEs site...it doesn't get past the building up part of the theme, but you get the idea). If you like his 'Atonement' score, etc. you will like this one and at $3 it is a no-brainer!

I'm getting about ten of them for my birthday and I'm looking forward to them big time.
  9. i'm sure the many many reviews here will give you a hint what to look for, plus the samples on the moviescore media site wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FRENCH EPIC MUSIC FOR HONG KONG ACTION ADVENTURE
    MovieScore Media to release Nicolas Errèra’s orchestral score for ’Shaolin’

(October 19, 2011- Göteborg, Sweden) – The soundtrack business is indeed global: here is a Swedish album featuring music by a French composer for a Hong Kong action adventure! MovieScore Media will be releasing Nicolas Errèra’s epic orchestral score from Shaolin digitally online on October 25, 2011, with the CD release following on November 1.

The soundtrack co-incides with the US DVD premiere of the film and follows its theatrical US release. Shaolin has recently been released either theatrically or on DVD worldwide. It stars Andy Lau (Infernal Affairs, House of Flying Daggers, The Warlords), Bingbing Fan (Battle of the Warriors, Lost in Beijing) and Jackie Chan (Rush Hour, Shanghai Noon, Kung Fu Panda) in a story about love, honor and courage. The story takes place during the early years of the republic when China had been plunged into chaos as feuding warlords battled to expand their power and their lands. The venerated Shaolin Temple throws open its doors to the wounded. Young army leader Hao Jie is forced to repent when the shock betrayal of his sworn brother Huo Lung wipes out his whole family. Hao Jie seeks refuge at the Shaolin Temple, where he has the chance to learn Shaolin’s powerful martial arts from the crazy monk Wu Dao and find inner peace. Ultimately, Huo Lung brings his army to besiege Shaolin and the peace-loving monks are forced to take up arms to protect the refugees and their beloved temple.

The music for the film was composed, orchestrated and conducted by Nicolas Errèra, who Nicolas Errèra has composed over 40 scores for both French and International films, including The Butterfly, Cravate Club,The Over-Eater, Nocturna, Me Two, Sticky Fingers, Connected and XIII the series. After completing his studies in Paris, at the Conservatoire National Supérieur of Paris and at l’École Normale de Musique, Nicolas Errèra embarked on an eclectic and prolific career as a composer and musician. Errèra co-founded two innovative electronic pop bands: Grand Popo Football Club (with Ariel Wizman) and Rouge Rouge (with Jean Croc. Both constellations released two albums and entertained audiences on dance floors and in lounge clubs in Europe, and Asia. In 2008, Errèra wrote the music for the play Good Canary, directed by John Malkovich. He has also composed music for commercials where the prestigious clients have included Givenchy, Chanel, Armani, Yves Saint Laurent, Evian, Laura Biagiotti, Mercedes. Errèra writes experimental music for contemporary pieces such as video installations. He is also the host of radio show “The Pudding” on Radio Nova, where he plays and discusses music with a variety of invited guests.

About Shaolin, Errèra says that the director, Benny Chan, ”wanted the score to take the point of view of an European composer mixed with Chinese sonorities”. To the point, Errèra’s music combines the forces of the Bulgarian Symphony Orchestra with several solo instruments, most notably the Chinese erhu performed by virtuoso Guo Gan.

MovieScore Media will release Shaolin (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) digitally online on October 25, 2011, with the CD following on November 1. According to its new policy, MovieScore Media will denote the number of the manufactured edition on the CD. The first edition of Shaolin is limited to 500 copies.

MovieScore Media (http://www.moviescoremedia.com) which has been nominated for the International Film Music Critics Association ’Soundtrack Label of the Year’ award five yearsin a row and has released original music from over 150 films on CD and digitally online. It is distributed in the UK by RSK Entertainment and in the USA by Screen Archives Entertainment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011
    "Warbeck is a master at writing thematic material. Move over Victor Young you have competition!" - Main Titles

"This is without question the horror soundtrack of 2011. It shows how effective a subtle score can enhance a film. Highly recommended!" - Main Titles

I'm glad that Mikael gave us a little free press on his website
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012
    A list with all the upcoming releases of MOVIESCORE MEDIA / SCREMWORKS

http://moviescoremedia.com/catalogue/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012
    Boy do I love their new site design!