• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011
    BhelPuri wrote
    Is there anyone else who feels that for the kind of movies and composers that the MSM catalog is focused on, their prices are higher than others, making us get other cds when the budget is limited?

I completely agree!
    Kazoo
  1. I was a big fan of Mikael's digipaks - just as I was a fan of his soon-to-end/ended offer of 320kbps downloads - but people like the jewel cases and the majority rules in business.

Part of my cost-cutting endeavours is mp3 downloading and Mikael's label is one that I prefer to now buy as downloads. Amazon and eMusic carry these titles and prices are very competitive compared to other downloads.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011
    BhelPuri wrote
    Is there anyone else who feels that for the kind of movies and composers that the MSM catalog is focused on, their prices are higher than others, making us get other cds when the budget is limited?

Hmm. Are you saying that the kind of movies and composers we focus on are cheap? Our focus may be different than many of the other labels, but producing an album actually isn't less expensive just because the the film or the composer is less known.

That said, I would be interested in hearing what would be a reasonable price for you? We are struggling to get more people to buy our cds to stay in the market.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011
    moviescore wrote
    We are struggling to get more people to buy our cds to stay in the market.

mc

Really sorry to hear that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011
    moviescore wrote
    That said, I would be interested in hearing what would be a reasonable price for you? We are struggling to get more people to buy our cds to stay in the market.
    mc

Not sure if you are referring to the downloads or the physical albums...I think the downloads are priced fine, especially since you are offering higher bitrates than Amazon and iTunes. The physical albums, on the other hand, would be a lot more attractive if they were only $14-15 instead of $18-20...the wider the gap between download and album, the less likely I'm going to spend extra money for a quality difference I won't even be able to hear half the time. I mean, I was listening to my 320k purchase of Ninja this morning and I was amazed by how good it sounds, richer tones and more sonic candy than half the mainstream releases out there punk

Still, I like having the physical release just for the artwork and the resale value (as if I'm ever actually going to sell my soundtrack collection, lol) so I will continue to buy some CD releases of MSM even if you RAISED the price...just not as frequently as if the price were lower.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Also, Mikael, do you think favorable reviews from fans like us, do anything to increase sales? I don't normally write reviews but I remember I loved Eleanor's Secret so much that I wrote a review on Amazon and was obsessively talking about it over here...I would be very happy if that increased the sales of that album and would do that more often if I knew it might help....
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you seem to be having difficulty in selling your CDs Mikael.

It must be quite difficult for you. I imagine that it costs less to produce a score and sell it as a download compared to the costs of producing and pressing a CD. But it seems no one wants to buy scores as a digital download - certainly not enough people to make it worth your while to keep making them available.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Scribe wrote
    Also, Mikael, do you think favorable reviews from fans like us, do anything to increase sales? I don't normally write reviews but I remember I loved Eleanor's Secret so much that I wrote a review on Amazon and was obsessively talking about it over here...I would be very happy if that increased the sales of that album and would do that more often if I knew it might help....

Personally, I think that there are only a limited number of reviewers who have "form" that can sway significant numbers of people to consider buying a CD that they would not normally consider.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    They always said that the cost of producing a CD is miniscule...about a dollar or so...and I can't imagine that it's gotten MORE expensive in the past decade. Unless that whole thing was just an urban legend.

I agree that only a few reviewers are really effective at really giving their readers a feel for what they're getting into and making them want to buy the CD...I imagine that I could improve at that skill with practice, but, it takes a good deal of musical knowledge to avoid repeating the same praises for each new CD, otherwise you just fall into "rare beauty" syndrome... biggrin

That being said, I've definitely purchased many CDs based on a single, brief positive review on Amazon or from a post here...because I know what I like and if someone says that the score contains any of those things, its an instant purchase for me. er...instant being relative considering that I have a list of over 300 CDs that I want...more like, instant decision to purchase at some point in the future, with preference given to newly released scores...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What do you mean producing a cd? As in copying and packaging it? 'Cause if you mean the whole procedure of mastering, mixing, producing and editing it, creating cover art, booklets, managing copyrights and royalties, you're terribly mistaken it costs a miniscule.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Scribe wrote
    They always said that the cost of producing a CD is miniscule...about a dollar or so...and I can't imagine that it's gotten MORE expensive in the past decade. Unless that whole thing was just an urban legend.

Per unit it's only a dollar but if you are doing a run that's a significant number then the price of production of the CDs soon mounts. I've no idea of what it costs to get the rights to the music, artwork, booklets, etc but I'd imagine that it eats away at any potential profit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Sorry, I meant the physical product, the jewel case and the insert and the disc. That would be the only added cost of a physical disc as compared to a download. The point being that I don't see any particular reason why the physical disc has to be sold for $5-8 more than the download as it typically is. Perhaps there are significant costs involved in getting the discs inventoried at stores like SAE?
  5. Physical CD vs download?

Not many people want the latter, demand for the former is there. Therefore the increased cost? Maybe this has something to do with it? And I'd suggest that it is the music rights holder that knows this and charges labels accordingly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Sorry, I meant the physical product, the jewel case and the insert and the disc. That would be the only added cost of a physical disc as compared to a download. The point being that I don't see any particular reason why the physical disc has to be sold for $5-8 more than the download as it typically is. Perhaps there are significant costs involved in getting the discs inventoried at stores like SAE?

Shipping? printing the artwork and booklet? printing the cd? the case?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't find Mikael's prices excessive at all. The thing about the MSM business model is that it largely focuses on less known composers and films, and therefore offers a niche service in an already niche market. That you should pay a little more doesn't surprise or bother me.

But then my take has always been that if I like it and want it, I'll get it. So I guess that's not much help as far as future marketing strategy is concerned.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

Shipping? printing the artwork and booklet? printing the cd? the case?

That is the part that I was saying only cost a dollar. For mainstream CDs at least. I imagine for smaller pressings it would be more expensive per unit....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011 edited
    No way it only costs a dollar.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Scribe wrote

Any positive buzz around a release helps of course. Especially in my case, where we often have to sell the music on the music merits only - very often the film is unknown to the wide audience, and quite often the composer is a newcomer you never heard of. So...

mc
  6. moviescore wrote

mc

it would be very sad news for me if you ever had to stop with MovieScore Media, because I generally think you're the best label besides Intrada offering us quality movie music. It's sad to hear that!

Generally, I think your prices are correct, and I think that indeed positive reviews and buzz could help MovieScore Media, even if it was for a little bit.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Let me see if I can help sell a CD or two:

"Red Canvas" is simply a fantastic score -- it's a rare goodie. Go get it if you don't have it (is it sold out?).

"Cool Dog" sounds like a nice score, as well. Not great, or fantastic, but a enjoyable, memorable theme and orchestral scoring. Go listen to the sound samples if you haven't.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Read my reviews, I think some of the best scores of the last couple of years I've discovered because of Mikael's work and passion. I never want that to go away.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011 edited
    Edited to remove some wine-induced ramblings.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Edited to remove some wine-induced ramblings.

slant tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    moviescore wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Hmm. Are you saying that the kind of movies and composers we focus on are cheap?

No, I certainly did not mean it that way. Your catalog is not based on mainstream movies. Like Martijn said, it's a niche focus in an already niche market (film scores).

Our focus may be different than many of the other labels, but producing an album actually isn't less expensive just because the the film or the composer is less known.

Agreed. I've been a big supporter of MSM for a long time (see SST) and I feel bad that your cds are not selling as well as you would have wanted. But like I mentioned earlier, on a limited budget I find myself going very often for the $12/13 score for a mainstream flick from Amazon (a movie that I might have seen, or a score that I might have listened to on Youtube), rather than $18 on a relatively obscure movie.

I've been going with 2 cds from Amazon for $25 for some time now. For me $13 would be a reasonable price for each cd without stretching my budget.

If you are not getting enough customers then it's either that there is not enough interest, or that the interested folks find the price to be high. Why not try a variety of prices to see what works best? If only 10 bought a cd at $18, can you get 20 buyers at $13?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011 edited
    I don't really know that price is that much of a factor here - simply put, I wonder if it's ever going to be possible to drum up enough people interested in scores for films they haven't heard of, by composers they haven't heard of. I'm not attempting to belittle anything or anyone, but I don't honestly think that sales would be much higher at a price point of $15 than at $18. Simply put - if people are willing to pay $20 for an Intrada CD of some ghastly synth-crap 80s score like Missing in Action 44 (and they are willing to do so, since all those releases sell out within hours) but aren't willing to pay $18 for a sumptuous piece of film music brilliance like Amalia then you just have to think that a lot of this is nothing to do with music or indeed price, it's about nostalgia for certain films. Given the absolute saturation of the market - the fact that Intrada, Kritzerland, FSM, Varese, La-La and whoever else are releasing literally dozens of scores for American movies by well-known composers in any given month, it's always going to be a struggle to penetrate that market. I wish I knew a solution!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote Simply put - if people are willing to pay $20 for an Intrada CD of some ghastly synth-crap 80s score like Missing in Action 44 (and they are willing to do so, since all those releases sell out within hours) but aren't willing to pay $18 for a sumptuous piece of film music brilliance like Amalia then you just have to think that a lot of this is nothing to do with music or indeed price, it's about nostalgia for certain films.

Indeed! But those kind of people were never in the market that MSM targets. The ones who would buy an MSM cd are those who would be willing to try a new composer or a lesser-known film, guided by positive reviews of the music.

The number of members selling cds in FSM's Trading Post is at an all time high. If you're looking to buy cds for cheap then this is the right time because there are terrific deals there. With the economic downturn many folks are shrinking their collection and cutting down on buying. Look at how long Intrada takes to sell their limited edition cds these days (previously they'd sell out in a few days). Given the number of releases by other labels and the reduced spending power, I don't think I'm in the minority (from the group of those who would buy a MSM cd) when I postpone the purchase of MSM cds in preference for cheaper deals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011
    Summary: People are stupid aren't they?
  9. Mikael, any chance MSM will be doing this?

New interview with James Peterson:

5. What are currently working on?

I just finished the follow up to The Red Canvas, a film called Submission, starring Ving Rhames. I also just completed two short films and am about to start work on a feature length documentary.

Full interview: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts … ;archive=0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2011 edited
    I'd also like to recommend MSM's Shiver score. The samples may not sound like much, but as a whole, it conjures up an uneasy atmosphere. But there are some lovely harmonic cues and brutal action -- and the album is attractively put together.

Imago Mortis and In My Sleep are worth checking out too.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011 edited
    Lots of MSM cd's are sold for a very cheap price ($2.95 or $4.95) over at SAE
    http://www.screenarchives.com/display_r … wout-Sale/

A pity that I bought one of them at the sale in Ubeda, which was 15EUR.
    Kazoo