• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012
    I don't. Now, GIacchino on the other hand....
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012
    Lennertz and Giacchino did bang up jobs on their respective scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012 edited
    Demetris wrote
    I don't. Now, GIacchino on the other hand....

Obviously I miss Giacchino as well, but you got my point wink

Erik Woods wrote
    Lennertz and Giacchino did bang up jobs on their respective scores.

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012 edited
    Ramin djawadi - person of interest

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/10/18 … k-details/
    http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … est/Detail
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2012
    Score of interest too? Doubt it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2012
    New release:

RED DAWN
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MO … lmusrep-20
  1. The score for Game of Thrones - Season 3 is now digitally available on iTunes and Amazon. The CD is coming later in June or July, I believe.

I´m really looking forward to it, since I find Djawadi´s thematic material for the series - especially his house themes - quite fitting to GRR Martin´s dark and grim tale. The now famous main title has been covered a lot in all kinds of good, bad, and ugly variations on youtube, and it´s time Djawadi gets recognized for his work here. I understand why a certain kind of score geeks feels underwhelmed by his movie efforts (I´m definitely not a part of that group!), but I think his TV work, especially for GoT, should be worth some praise.
  2. I was kind of lukewarm about the season one score and thought the season two score was a huge improvement.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013
    There are scenes in this series that are crying out for a huge orchestral cues. For the amount of money they are pouring into the series I can't believe that they would cheap out on the music. Now, not to say that what Djawadi is doing isn't effective but he could do so much more. A lot of the music is so understated.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    There are scenes in this series that are crying out for a huge orchestral cues. For the amount of money they are pouring into the series I can't believe that they would cheap out on the music. Now, not to say that what Djawadi is doing isn't effective but he could do so much more. A lot of the music is so understated.

No kidding. The score does practically nothing and indeed large parts of the series go unscored...with three or four exceptions they could have left the entire thing music-less and it wouldn't have made a difference. It's easily the biggest missed opportunity in an otherwise fantastic adaptation. Just because the show is dark and generally deals with grey and black morality doesn't mean the music has to be so constantly low-key. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013
    From the episodes I saw, this series could have received a truly great score. The scope was there. It didn't get it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013
    it's djawadi...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I very much agree. I do like quite a bit of the scoring but there are scenes that SCREAM for something big and bold.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013 edited
    *sigh*

I am getting the feeling that some people are simply blinding themselves because they don´t expect good work from Djawadi, why ever that might be.

I still think his Iron Man score is fantastic and fits to both Tony Stark´s mentality and the birth & engineering of that heavy, metal suit. I also think that his score is the single best aspect of Clash of the Titans, and the theme he wrote for Fright Night is both funny and kinda creepy.

That the producers wanted a minimalistic approach to GoT is obvious from letting go Stephen Warbeck only weeks before airing. He would have given the show something completely different, probably more to the liking of score geeks, but not fitting to the mood.

The more I watch GoT, and the more I hear about how Djawadi created his themes and inserted them, beginning small, getting stronger, growing in scale like the story does, while still creating new tunes and songs that stick in the mind, on which he builds even better stuff, the more I´m mesmerized by the choice.

"The Rains of Castamere" is probably the best example. Introduced as a simple tune whistled by one of the characters in season 2, to be sung later by a bunch of soldiers before a battle, given an end title treatment after the battle, then, in season 3, emerging as a beautifully heroic theme for Jaime Lannister, until it finally appears unexpectedly during a certain wedding - hearing those first two notes gave me goosebumps and got everyone in my family sit up and stammering, "oh no, wait, what is going on, why that song, now?! Something´s wrong..." - I call that a mindfuck.

That said, how fantastic is everything Djawadi writes for Daenerys? That Greyjoy theme. That Winterfell theme. Sorry, but I believe some people do not really listen because they want it to be something else, instead of appreciating what it is.

Yeah, some tracks could have been bigger and maybe better, but with a show that big, with such a huge cast, needing more effect work every season, making big battles look great enough, they have to be careful about spending their money. And I´m not convinced that the feel of the show wouldn´t change with a more "standard" fantasy score.

EDIT: Just one more thing: Given that most people are oblivious to scoring, the comments about the season 3 score at the many GoT fan boards are extraordinary. I think it proves that the music at least fits to the show. The truth is, it is highly regarded by most viewers, and just because it isn´t what we score geeks are used to get for medieval/fantasy spectacles, it doesn´t mean it´s bad. Far from it.

I´m not saying that the majority is always right. I just say that most people who love the show obviously appreciate what Djawadi is doing and get really excited about it. Most of them never heard the name before and were unbiased towards him from the beginning, which might add to the reason why their opinions are the exact opposite from what is going on here.
  4. It's not that it's Djawadi. If they put John Powell on Game of Thrones ( lick ) and he produced the exact same music I wouldn't be any more impressed. Less impressed, actually, because with Djawadi I don't usually have expectations but for Powell I do. As for the music being popular among the fans, well, duh. That happens with any popular film/TV series; it's not necessarily the quality of the music itself, but rather the exposure and the devotion of the fans to anything GoT-related.

I don't think the scores are out-and-out bad, but I do think that a far more interesting score (yes, with a few "bigger" moments, or I should say moments where the music actually has something to say - which Djawadi does deliver occasionally, e.g. "Pay the Iron Price" or Season 1's "Finale" but nowhere near enough) could have resulted and still kept the mood of the show and followed the producers' wishes. I also wish they'd allot him enough of a budget to get an orchestra, or at least samples that don't sound quite so cheap. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I still think his Iron Man score is fantastic..

If you're going to make a long, serious post, I would advise against opening with this...
  5. I still have to see the second season, then I'll listen to the music. But I can't deny that the first season had very good music.

so looking forward to season 2 smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    It's not that it's Djawadi. If they put John Powell on Game of Thrones ( lick ) and he produced the exact same music I wouldn't be any more impressed. Less impressed, actually, because with Djawadi I don't usually have expectations but for Powell I do.
    Fair enough.

As for the music being popular among the fans, well, duh. That happens with any popular film/TV series; it's not necessarily the quality of the music itself, but rather the exposure and the devotion of the fans to anything GoT-related.
    On the contrary - the GoT community is extremely touchy about any kind of details they don´t like, and there are many. Its the fans and book readers who are also the show´s greatest critics, mostly based on expectations. Overall, most of them are quite happy, but there are many aspects which are constantly discussed. Not so with the score. So it´s not the unquestioning love of fanboys which Djawadi is getting here, but praise from people who are not easy to satisfy.

I don't think the scores are out-and-out bad, but I do think that a far more interesting score (yes, with a few "bigger" moments, or I should say moments where the music actually has something to say - which Djawadi does deliver occasionally, e.g. "Pay the Iron Price" or Season 1's "Finale" but nowhere near enough) could have resulted and still kept the mood of the show and followed the producers' wishes. I also wish they'd allot him enough of a budget to get an orchestra, or at least samples that don't sound quite so cheap. slant
    To the last part, I agree. The former... well, at least you noticed some good stuff. ^^ Keep looking. Season 3 is full of it.

Steven wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I still think his Iron Man score is fantastic.
    If you're going to make a long, serious post, I would advise against opening with this...
    I´m sorry, but I´m very serious about this one, too. I never got why people don´t like Djawadi´s Iron Man. Especially now that Tyler wrote something more along the usual superhero area with IM3, I still think Djawadi´s score was a great introduction to the character before he became Iron Man, and fit the action on screen rather well. Tyler´s theme is fitting a more seasoned Tony Stark who has gone through a lot, but I´m still not sure whether I really like it better in the context. I will admit, though, that I like Tyler´s theme better as a score geek, but I don´t know how it would have worked in the first movie. Not too bad, of course. But again, Djawadi delivered a good score, too.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I still have to see the second season, then I'll listen to the music. But I can't deny that the first season had very good music.

so looking forward to season 2 smile
    You really should. It´s great storytelling. See to it that you watch 2 and 3 back to back, so the themes can sink deeper into your brain.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

'fantastic' isn't the word I'd use but I honestly don't understand the hate for Djawadi's IRON MAN score, a rock & roll score that works very well in the film and hell, he even gave ol'tin head a theme, best heard ( I think? ) in 'Driving With The Top Down'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Boo! tongue
  7. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

'fantastic' isn't the word I'd use but I honestly don't understand the hate for Djawadi's IRON MAN score, a rock & roll score that works very well in the film and hell, he even gave ol'tin head a theme, best heard ( I think? ) in 'Driving With The Top Down'.

I don't understand the hate either but it's a long stretch from that to saying I enjoyed it. dizzy
  8. As much as I'm not Djawadi's biggest fan, to be delicate (though I love what he did in his first Medal of Honor score, really one of the best RCP scores ever written), I would defend Iron Man a bit.

The director wasn't at all happy that he wasn't allowed the composer he wanted on the project (Debney), the producers were confused whether they wanted an orchestral score or just pure rock'n'roll. It was all confusion with Hans Zimmer (who, according to official cue sheets, actually WROTE Driving with the Top Down) having to join the project to make last-minute rescue to keep the score in. Nobody knew what they wanted and it ended up like it did, so based on my knowledge of what happened there, I wouldn't blame Djawadi that much.

I would blame Clash of the Titans on him in huge way, even if that one was a rush job featuring dozens of ghostwriters to make it to the deadline, but one thing I have to explain, based on official data.

Craig Armstrong was not fired from the project. The post-production schedule changed after a last-minute decision to convert the finished film into 3D, which led to a scheduling conflict. It's not a rejected, even if half-finished score... There was simply no time for Armstrong (who reportedly publicly voiced his excitement) to finish the score, so he walked away.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. There are composers who are put at a disadvantage by some at the mention of their name and Djawadi is one of those composers. And it works at the other end of the spectrum as well.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. Yes, definitely. The thing is that the guy doesn't have much to prove his value. Funnily enough, a very well received score was Beat the Drum, which is a shared credit with Klaus Badelt...

It was Djawadi alone, Badelt retained his name due to contract reason, but hasn't wrote a note of it.

Also, nobody really talks about Djawadi's animation scores, two rather obscure French ones (the first one is kinda nice) and there was also the animation movie about... were it mice in space? Fly Me to the Moon, if I remember well. Never heard anyone mentioning it here.
  11. Fly me to the Moon is quite beautiful indeed, and, getting back to GoT, he has to write a lot of material very fast here. Were he half as bad as some people make him out to be, it would be a desaster. But it certainly isn´t.
  12. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    If they put John Powell on Game of Thrones...

... it would sound like How to Train your Dragon in minor keys.

Yeah, a score like Holdridge's Avalon or Jones' Merlin would have been nice but obviously that is not what HBO was looking for here.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013 edited
    Ehem.

A Lannister always pays his debts aka The Rains of Castamere.
    Mhysa - from next Sunday´s final episode.

Enjoy.

Please excuse the link to an obviously non-commercial source; I´m just pointing out what I believe to be reason enough to buy the whole thing.
  13. Mhysa is just about the best track I've heard from this composer!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think it's a lovely track.
  14. spin