• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. OK, I'll have a listen before I decide to buy it. If it's a more small sounding performance, that can be a deal breaker, especially since I'm not that big a fan of the music, or its composer. But as with the show's character relationships it can very well be a grey area, in a way that it's ok and good enough for a casual listen, not as a definitive presentation of the scores.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    So it's just a compilation masquerading as a symphony?

Yes! That was the first thing that irked me! Since they're calling it a "symphony" I was expecting a newly composed piece which would combine all themes from the show into a unified whole, as that is what a symphony is, especially since Djawadi will be doing the rounds with a concert throughout America I was hoping he created this for that purpose, and was incredibly disappointed when I discovered it was just a compilation album!
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    I want to buy that GoT Symphony as I generally love the Prague Philharmonic. I have lots of their recordings and I consider them one of the top orchestras. Also to have something of a 'best of' of Djawadi's scores and not having to buy the complete seasons, which I'm not interested in.

I can give you my best of Game of Thrones version too tongue (holding so far my personal bests of seasons 1 through 5)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. BobdH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Yes! That was the first thing that irked me! Since they're calling it a "symphony" I was expecting a newly composed piece which would combine all themes from the show into a unified whole, as that is what a symphony is, especially since Djawadi will be doing the rounds with a concert throughout America I was hoping he created this for that purpose, and was incredibly disappointed when I discovered it was just a compilation album!

I wonder if Djawadi had any input into the naming of album. It is a bit misleading to call it a symphony as it implies what you've said.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. I was super excited to get The Great Wall recently. It has the Djawadi sound (though my only other reference is Game of Thrones truthfully) but is light and fun, heart pounding and beautiful, even though it's for an action film (which I haven't seen) the music really is a nice counterpart to what I'm sure is a lot of violence? I don't have a lot by Ramin Djawadi, but am very happy with this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    BobdH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I wonder if Djawadi had any input into the naming of album. It is a bit misleading to call it a symphony as it implies what you've said.

Looking at the product, I doubt Djawadi had any input in this at all.
  5. MY review of the GOT Symphony from City of Prague Phil Orch out on Silva.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2017 edited
    Synchrotones wrote
    MY review of the GOT Symphony from City of Prague Phil Orch out on Silva.

Completely agree with this review. It feels like a cheap cash-in to profit from the success of the series, one of those albums you find in the discount bin as an alternative to the real thing, and might serve as the reference point that an all orchestral recording doesn't necessarily result in something that is better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017
    Talking about Game of Thrones. If you live in the US and the Game of Thrones live experience is near you, GO!

Mysha alone was worth the trip :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2017
    And here is the report for those who are interested.

http://soundtrackworld.com/2017/03/game … -new-york/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017
    BobdH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

When you hear the word 'symphony' describing a score album, always have low expectations wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

When you hear the word 'symphony' describing a score album, always have low expectations wink

Fact! Can anyone name a "legitimate" candidate?

Vaughan Williams Scott of The Antarctic is possibly the only score worthy of being truly described as a symphony.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2017 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Fact! Can anyone name a "legitimate" candidate?

Vaughan Williams Scott of The Antarctic is possibly the only score worthy of being truly described as a symphony.

I'm not sure what you mean with 'legitimate', but talking about score reworkings into a symphony, Howard Shore's The Lord of the Rings Symphony comes to mind. There's also John Debney's The Passion of the Christ Symphony, but that one is unfortunately not yet officially released on album.

I'm sure Giacchino's 4 movement opening of the Jupiter Ascending album doesn't really count, but that would be my definition of a Symphony, since it's a reworking of his themes into a new symphonic suite which is not held back by restrictions of the film. I'm also thinking of a score album put together by Christopher Young which was basically new recordings of suites to optimize the listening experience, but can't remember which score that was.

Also, within a few weeks I'll be attending Jeff Beal's performance of his House of Cards Symphony, and I remember a truly beautiful performance of Dario Marianelli's reworking of his Atonement score into a symphonic suite at the WSA. So yeah, it happens, and I'd say Game of Thrones would be perfect for the treatment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Princess Mononoke has a brilliant Symphonic Suite.
  6. I think, the Lord of the Rings Symphony comes pretty close to the classical concept. All the other concert suites that I can think of would be symphonic poems (Tondichtung) in terms of classical music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017
    Princess Mononoke and LOTR symphonies, yes, we agree. Complete works, coherent.

As for John Debney's The Passion of the Christ Symphony i seem to remember recently reading that it was just a bootleg of potc and The Stoning of Soraya M. recording session cues and leftovers put together...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017
    Demetris wrote
    Princess Mononoke and LOTR symphonies, yes, we agree. Complete works, coherent.

As for John Debney's The Passion of the Christ Symphony i seem to remember recently reading that it was just a bootleg of potc and The Stoning of Soraya M. recording session cues and leftovers put together...

That's defenitely not correct. It's a rather spectacular version of the original score I think. It has been performed a few times too, including in Cordoba (in the Mezquita of all places dizzy ).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017 edited
    Yup, I can back Bregt up, it has been performed on several occasions and I have the bootleg version with rather good audio quality (for as much a live recording with audience can have one, but it's certainly a professional recording). It's a great Symphony comprising all of the themes and ending on a rousing rendition of Crucifixion. I'm sure people have created a fake one for their own to circulate the file sharing community, but I know for a fact I've got the legit thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017 edited
    Demetris wrote

Oh, and Demetris, to make this even more interesting, I've snuck into my DM's, and it was you who sent it to me, back in februari of 2007 wink (which I then sent through to Bregt, which is why he knows it's real as well and probably still has it?).

I even know why you think it's a fake:
    On februari 7th of 2010, I sent you the awful news that the Passion of the Christ Recording Sessions, which had been doing the rounds back then, was a fake, comprised of The Passion of the Christ soundtrack album and, yes, The Stoning of Soraya M. Interesting how 'fake', 'Passion' and 'Soraya' got stuck in your head wink.

Anyway, here's the tracklisting for that Passion of the Christ Symphony you sent me back then.

JOHN DEBNEY - THE PASSION SYMPHONY

Orchestra (96 piece) and choir (83 person) of the Accademia Nazionale Di Santa Cecelia

mezzo-soprano/co-lyricist Lisbeth Scott
    soprano Nicole Tibbels
    tenor Cristiano Cremonini

1. Prologue ( tenor Cristiano Cremonini)
    2. Movement I
    Jesus Is Condemned
    Carries The Cross
    3. Movement II ( mezzo-soprano Lisbeth Scott):
    Jesus Falls
    Meets His Afflicted Mother
    4. Movement III ( soprano Nicole Tibbels; tenor Cristiano Cremonini)
    Simon of Cyrene
    Veronica Wipes The Face of Jesus
    5. Movement IV ( mezzo-soprano Lisbeth Scott)
    Procession Of Sorrows
    The Woman Of Jerusalem
    6. Movement V ( soprano Nicole Tibbels)
    Jesus Is Stripped
    Agnus Dei
    7. Movement VI ( mezzo-soprano Lisbeth Scott; tenor Cristiano Cremonini)
    Nailed To The Cross
    Jesus Dies On The Cross
    8. Movement VII ( soprano Nicole Tibbels)
    Jesus Is Brought Down
    Placed In The Tomb
    9. Epilogue
    The Resurrection
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017
    My review is online of The Great Wall for those who are interested.

http://soundtrackworld.com/2017/03/the-great-wall/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017
    BobdH wrote
    Demetris wrote

Oh, and Demetris, to make this even more interesting, I've snuck into my DM's, and it was you who sent it to me, back in februari of 2007 wink (which I then sent through to Bregt, which is why he knows it's real as well and probably still has it?).

I even know why you think it's a fake:
    On februari 7th of 2010, I sent you the awful news that the Passion of the Christ Recording Sessions, which had been doing the rounds back then, was a fake, comprised of The Passion of the Christ soundtrack album and, yes, The Stoning of Soraya M. Interesting how 'fake', 'Passion' and 'Soraya' got stuck in your head wink.

Anyway, here's the tracklisting for that Passion of the Christ Symphony you sent me back then.

JOHN DEBNEY - THE PASSION SYMPHONY

Orchestra (96 piece) and choir (83 person) of the Accademia Nazionale Di Santa Cecelia

mezzo-soprano/co-lyricist Lisbeth Scott
    soprano Nicole Tibbels
    tenor Cristiano Cremonini

1. Prologue ( tenor Cristiano Cremonini)
    2. Movement I
    Jesus Is Condemned
    Carries The Cross
    3. Movement II ( mezzo-soprano Lisbeth Scott):
    Jesus Falls
    Meets His Afflicted Mother
    4. Movement III ( soprano Nicole Tibbels; tenor Cristiano Cremonini)
    Simon of Cyrene
    Veronica Wipes The Face of Jesus
    5. Movement IV ( mezzo-soprano Lisbeth Scott)
    Procession Of Sorrows
    The Woman Of Jerusalem
    6. Movement V ( soprano Nicole Tibbels)
    Jesus Is Stripped
    Agnus Dei
    7. Movement VI ( mezzo-soprano Lisbeth Scott; tenor Cristiano Cremonini)
    Nailed To The Cross
    Jesus Dies On The Cross
    8. Movement VII ( soprano Nicole Tibbels)
    Jesus Is Brought Down
    Placed In The Tomb
    9. Epilogue
    The Resurrection

oh I remember this now! Well more interesting it would be if you could re-send it back to me 'cause I've misplaced it through the years, somehow it stuck in my head that It was potc and Soraya leftovers...your fault man! your fault! smile so can I re-has plz? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2017
    Guys, winter is coming to Europe (and North America again as well)

http://www.gameofthronesconcert.com/

I am of course going to see it again. It looks like it will be a bit different with music from the 7th season and a bit less complex stage.

If wou want to know more about the concert, you can always read my report again. :-)

https://soundtrackworld.com/2017/03/gam … -new-york/
  7. My review of THE MOUNTAIN BETWEEN US, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2017/10/24/the- … n-djawadi/

Jon
  8. My review of A WRINKLE IN TIME, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2018/03/16/a-wr … n-djawadi/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2018
  9. Some of those "written by a child" comments seem a little harsh and hyperbolic. The melodies are simplistic, sure, but the production values and layering of the vocals and textures in the first cue is pretty nicely handled. I'd be pretty astonished if I heard some kid write that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Some of those "written by a child" comments seem a little harsh and hyperbolic. The melodies are simplistic, sure, but the production values and layering of the vocals and textures in the first cue is pretty nicely handled. I'd be pretty astonished if I heard some kid write that.

I have a friend who's 13 years old and can write much better music than Ramin Djawadi. I don't think the comments are hyperbolic at all
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  10. You say this with regard to all of Djawadi's oeuvre?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm guessing not. Pacific Rim, Game of Thrones, Westworld, The Great Wall. Superb scores!
  11. Indeed.