• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2008 edited
    Djawadi's score for Iron Man isn't bad at all. Lots of electric guitar for the montages of Stark constructing his suit, a cute romantic motif for Stark and Pepper, and a blend of orchestra and electric guitar for the fight sequences. But for the life of me the film did not have a memorable theme, which despite its RC trappings, should have been mandatory. Considering the film's modern vibes and that the producers wanted something different, it's not bad and certainly a lot better (both score- and certainly film-wise) than last year's turgid Transformers. Hell, the songs were more memorable than the underscore.

I'm sure if Favreau was allowed to go with Debney for Iron Man, I'm sure we'd have gotten something more melodic and enjoyable even if it suffered from temp-track hell.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  1. ps, how's the Iron Man score, I guess many of you have seen the film already?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. I think it works great within the movie. Though its "theme" is far from what most of us would consider to be one, it´s definitely there and it works. I would call it "male" in a sense Hulk Hogan would understand. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008 edited
    Matt C wrote
    I'm sure if Favreau was allowed to go with Debney for Iron Man, I'm sure we'd have gotten something more melodic and enjoyable even if it suffered from temp-track hell.

Sure, if Favreau all of a sudden had a completely different vision, didn't want to go with a new, modern thing at all, never asked for guitars and had asked Debney to make a melodic score, then we'd have a melodic and orchestral Debney-score rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008 edited
    Haven't seen Iron Man yet, but with all the good reviews it looks like I'm going to have to see it. 94% on Rotten Tomatoes? Not too shabby. As for the music, I only heard the small tidbit's from iTunes, and it's nothing special. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see the guitars/drums fitting with the movie that well. But I'll reserve judgment until I see how it works in the movie. It's probably because I'm not such a fan of Zimmer & Co.

Anyways, I think the answer as to why Debney wasn't hired has sort-of been answered. It's what most expected; the producers wanted a certain sound and wouldn't budge. I caught this while reading the Filmtracks board (from Doug C.):

"XM Cinemagic has a great interview with Favreau right now on the movie (He seems so in touch with the fans). They discuss the score and they all seem to get around actually saying that they like it, but that they agree that it more services the film. He was careful to say that the composer was chosen by a committee. I think he was being polite, but he did mention Debney and wanting to work with him again."

So it's what we all expected. The producers wanted a run-of-the-mill RC score with guitars and drums.

Anyone have XM radio and listened to the interview that could give us some more insight?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008
    I saw Iron Man yedarday... 94% fresh? I can't believe that.

It's not bad, but it's not good either. It's unpersonal but decent action superhero movie.

Not enough good set pieces for my taste, sometimes a direction more similar to a TV movie.

The score? the score was bad..bad. No main theme , a lot of diferent styles (So a lot of temp tracks), without any outstanding track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    No main theme...

No main theme? Tony Stark/Iron Man has two themes, no matter if you like them or not but they exist and can be heard throughout the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008
    Well...I saw Iron Man over the weekend...and first off, I LOVED the movie. But I thought that the music that Ramin Djawadi composed for it fit very well with the film. I don't know how well it will hold up OFF the film...but it worked in there.
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
  3. Yeah, and it would have "worked" if Maryiln Manson had scored it (he scores too, sometimes). Let's not excuse Ramin just because he's a composer.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    That is true...just about any rock musician or composer COULD have written a score such as this one... but I am just saying that as long as it works in the movie, isn't that what the music was really WRITTEN for? It was not written for an album...
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008 edited
    Well, we had that discussion before. I´m totally with you there. I think the score works excellently within the movie, and I really love it, but I can see why "true soundtrack enthusiasts" would not listen to the album without vomiting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    but I can see why "true soundtrack enthusiasts" would not listen to the album without vomiting.

A true soundtrack enthusiast is someone who can enjoy all film scores, no matter the quality of composition. You'd better say "fans of pure orchestral music" or "fans of golden/silver age of film music".
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    Sylvos wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    but I can see why "true soundtrack enthusiasts" would not listen to the album without vomiting.

A true soundtrack enthusiast is someone who can enjoy all film scores, no matter the quality of composition. You'd better say "fans of pure orchestral music" or "fans of golden/silver age of film music".

Very good way of putting it. I myself can enjoy both varieties...the pure orchestral music AND the Remote Control type of sound. I love the John Williams and the John Powell sounds equally... just a fan of all score music.
  4. Well, you do know I was being a bit sarcastic, don´t you? wink

I am certainly willing and able to enjoy any kind of score within the theatre as long as it´s fitting to the movie, which is what a score is written for.

And I am more than unwilling to support the opinion that only a score that leads to a good album is a good score, full orchestra or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sylvos wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

A true soundtrack enthusiast is someone who can enjoy all film scores

A true soundtrack enthusiast would never have a word of praise to say about something as pitiful as the "music" heard in Iron Man, which is an insult to the hundreds of people in the world who are capable of writing good film scores.
  5. A true soundtrack enthusiast would never have listend to a Djawaski score, and still be delving into Waxman works.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Me! Me! I want one too!

"A true soundtrack enthousiast... would be open for new things."

Do I win?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To like something which is crap just because it's new seems like a very strange idea to me. So I don't think you win. wink

(And anyway, what exactly is "new" about Iron Man? It's the same old Media Ventures garbage we've been getting from Hans's no-talent underlings for the last 15 years. A five-year old could write more intelligent music. I can't believe something this bad can actually appear in a film.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I saw the film and loved it. The score simply... worked.

It didn't ruin the film, but it didn't work that great either. Could and should have been a lot better, but what can you do?

And I don't really consider Justin a "true" film music fan by any stretch of the imagination. Too biased, discriminating and closed-minded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    It didn't ruin the film, but it didn't work that great either. Could and should have been a lot better, but what can you do?

Sadly I can't do anything, and you probably can't either. But some people can - they have the power to stop paying an absolute, unimaginable fortune to people whose talent would need an electron microscope to measure when they could pay 5% of that sum and have someone who can actually score films with a bit of skill. So why don't they? Who exactly wants film music to sound like this? I can't believe any audiences do.
  6. Sorry, but I thought it rocked like the movie did. It just fits the atmosphere of coolness. A full-fledged orchestral score would have been the wrong choice for R.D.jr.
  7. And I don't really consider Justin a "true" film music fan by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't even consider you human. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Sorry, but I thought it rocked like the movie did. It just fits the atmosphere of coolness. A full-fledged orchestral score would have been the wrong choice for R.D.jr.

Who said it had to be orchestral?
  8. Who says they should have even scored it? Maybe some crappy heavy rock songs for a crappy film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I could make a recording of myself doing my morning ablutions and it would probably be a better film score.
  9. Yes, but will it work in the movie? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    justin boggan wrote
    And I don't really consider Justin a "true" film music fan by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't even consider you human. ;-)

Nah, I'm better than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Might I interject some words of wisdom here?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Never! I am English.
    And we English are STUBBORN.

...or it might just be me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I understand.
    All that stiff upper lip repression of generations hence now comes to a seething zenith.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn