• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Only 8 facepalms? Oh wait, that's right. One for every letter in Khaleesi. dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    No, taking things too far is something like this. shocked

Yeah, but that's mental disorder.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Of course it is! A man wanting to be a woman on the other hand, well that's perfectly normal.
  2. It's not regarded as "perfectly normal". It is a mental illness, in which sex change is the only working treatment.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016 edited
    That's like saying amputation is the only working treatment for a person who wants to remove his limbs. Admittedly I don't understand the whole trans thing, or what it's like to feel "trapped" in the wrong gender (in much the same way I don't understand what it's like to have bi-polar disorder). But it strikes me as odd that the only solution, to what is essentially a mental disorder, is invasive surgical mutilation rather than psychiatric treatment. (It's not a sex change. No such thing has ever happened.)
  3. Well, psychiatric medication at this time doesn't in any way change the perception of self that is the core of the gender identity. It's regarded as the wrong perception of self in gender terms. Let's say, simplifying, that a brain is trapped in a body of a different gender.

Surgical mutilation as you call it is the last element of very long assessment (regular, taking a year or two), where it is determined whether it's "just a phase" or an inherent identity problem. And it's the final "touch" on what is essentially the only chemical treatment the person responds to well, which is hormonal treatment (essientially, a woman is given lots, lots of testosterone). This hormonal treatment leads to physical changes (more dramatic in men changing gender, as massive hormonal treatment does lead not just to losing, say, facial hair, but also growing a pair of breasts) and the surgery is basically the finishing element of the physical and psychological change the hormonal treatment brings.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In addition: it's hardly the *only* working treatment. Like amputation it's the last resort. It's not like you can just call up your GP to make an arrangement for a sex change operation (which is a perfectly accpetable and accepted way of addressing sex reassignment) next Friday because you have a sudden craving for chocolate over whiskey.

(Incidentally, human sex change HAS happened. It's rare. But it happens.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, psychiatric medication at this time doesn't in any way change the perception of self that is the core of the gender identity. It's regarded as the wrong perception of self in gender terms. Let's say, simplifying, that a brain is trapped in a body of a different gender.

Surgical mutilation as you call it is the last element of very long assessment (regular, taking a year or two), where it is determined whether it's "just a phase" or an inherent identity problem. And it's the final "touch" on what is essentially the only chemical treatment the person responds to well, which is hormonal treatment (essientially, a woman is given lots, lots of testosterone). This hormonal treatment leads to physical changes (more dramatic in men changing gender, as massive hormonal treatment does lead not just to losing, say, facial hair, but also growing a pair of breasts) and the surgery is basically the finishing element of the physical and psychological change the hormonal treatment brings.

You could use the same argument for people who want their limbs cut off, or, in this instance, who want to be a children's doll. What makes their delusions any less ridiculous than transgenders'? Yes, I suppose a man who wants to be woman is less ridiculous than a girl who wants to be Barbie -- but not by much. They're both in the same ball park.

Look, if that's what they want, all power to them. But I think it's a delusion that society seems far too ready to accept in the name of fairness and political correctness. (I certainly don't think gays should be lumped in the same group as transgenders.) By accepting it without question, by normalising this form of delusion and its extreme surgical "solutions", I suspect in the long run it will have a detrimental effect. The suicide rates of post-op transgenders should raise a few eyebrows in itself. Surely it should be viewed as a mental disorder first and foremost? Even suggesting that can land you in hot water. That's where I have a problem with it, which often gets translated into 'transphobia'.

Martijn wrote
    In addition: it's hardly the *only* working treatment. Like amputation it's the last resort.

No, but it is normalised to such a degree as to be unquestionable. (At least in terms of society.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    (Incidentally, human sex change HAS happened. It's rare. But it happens.)

But did he grow a uterus I wonder?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    In addition: it's hardly the *only* working treatment. Like amputation it's the last resort.

No, but it is normalised to such a degree as to be unquestionable. (At least in terms of society.)

I've seen the process.
    It is not in any way, shape or form "unquestionable".
    In fact, the hoops you have to jump through to get to the stage where the operation is even considered, are absolutely daunting. EVERYTHING is questioned and every single doubt hammered on to the level of humiliation: that moment where one starts doubting oneself.

I think that is good, actually.
    In fact, that is how I think it should be.
    It's not a decision taken lightly in any way.
    And if there is indeed even the smallest bit of doubt, it should be quite mercilessly shone a light on.

I find though that in general society CERTAINLY questions the treatment, on every level of the cost entailed and the benefits derived, both on a personal and a societal level. But it's not questioned as a proper medical treatment.
    And I don't see why it should be at this point in time.
    We have the technology.
    And at this point the evidence suggests that as a treatment it improves peoples' lives without impairing anything (hence the comparison with people with body integrity identity disorders -people who feel their limb(s) should be chopped off- not being really to the point).

Confused or changed gender identification is of course a completely diferent ballpark than "wanting to be a barbie", which is by its very nature is a media-inspired concept augmented by something like -I would presume- a narcissistic or theatrical personality disorder.
    And one of the many problems in addressing transgender treatment is that so very often there is a multi-layered, complex set of issues next to it or underlying it, or on top of it, or you name it...)
    Therefore gender confusion generally *is* treated firstly and primarily as a mental disorder, until such time as the only thing available is the physical change.

I see no problem with this.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's all fine, I suppose. But this is not how I see many approach the issue.

I can't speak to the actual process involved in getting the surgery, but -and I hate to sully the word- it's Liberals who shut down conversation on the issues of transgenderism that strikes me absurd. Not that I'm implying it's the case here, far from it, but to even suggest that sexual identity dysphoria is a mental disorder rather than a physical one seems sacrilegious to many. And that's the issue. When people make claims that a person is truly stuck with the wrong gendered body, rather than a body stuck with a dysfunctional brain, I start to get a little... queasy. (Does this mean we have male and female souls?)

Admittedly, I balk at the idea of such invasive surgery for what is a mental disorder. Perhaps in some cases it really is the best option, and I hope that the process that leads up to it is as involved as you say. But, again, it's the politics surrounding the issue where I'm at a loss. I view it with as much a raised eyebrow as I would if people were advocating for equal rights of those who wanted plastic surgery. (Not that I'm suggesting transgenders shouldn't be treated fairly, only that they shouldn't have any extra rights for their delusions.)

As I alluded to, there's a confusion in society about it, implicit in the way they are lumped in with gays under the 'LGBT' banner. Being gay, bi (or indeed straight) is NOT the same as having sexual identity dysphoria. I understand the desire to create a group like this, given that it's largely a push back to real bigotry, often from religion. But it confuses two rather disparate issues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Confused or changed gender identification is of course a completely diferent ballpark than "wanting to be a barbie", which is by its very nature is a media-inspired concept augmented by something like -I would presume- a narcissistic or theatrical personality disorder.

This may be true, but my fear is that in some cases gender identification may be a result of exactly the same narcissistic process fueled by media and society. Hence my problem with normalising sex "change" surgery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There's two things to clearly make a distinction between:

On the one hand there is the actual issue: an problem with gender identification. As gender identification is certainly not a given (it is very fluid until about age 3), it's much more than merely a mental issue, but an incredibly complex psychological, emotional and mental one, which biological aspects -brain structure- we do not fully fathom yet (see the studies done in 95 by Chung, and later in 06 by Goren and Swaab. I'd link, but I only have hardcopies available).
    So gender confusion or gender dysphoria is by no means necessarily a delusion (although of course it can be)! It can be related easily to both very early developmental issues as well as physical deviations.

It's a (medically) hugely complex issue that simply -and quite rightly- will not let itself be reduced to one convenient label. And certainly "delusion" is really a far too easy -not to mention negative-, and -as I argued- indeed often incorrect one.

And even if it were, I see no issue in a physical treatment for a mental disorder? An acquaintance of mine will have surgey in a few months time to help him get rid of an anxiety that has plagued him since birth. What they will do is *actually* change the way his brain excites certain neurons. Can't get much more invasive than that, I'd say! smile
    He's seen -quite literally- dozens of psychiatrists, and this finally seems to be the right way forward.
    But then I'm a great fan of biopsychology.

But then there's the other side, which I sense -and please correct me if I'm wrong- you seem more concerned with, which is the socio-political side.

This is not easily addressed.
    Indeed the very issue of sexual identity has been monolithicised: all 'flavours' that deviate from the standard M-F norm are being lumped together, as you say.

I agree this causes confusion, but worse: it causes a false unity.
    The strides that we made in getting some kind of acceptance of the biological given that homosexual is homosexual, and that it isn't some kind of "fad" or "lifestyle choice". And it isn't a problem.
    Gender dysphoria IS a problem. And one that can and should be addressed on both a psychological and biological level.
    ...exactly all the things you DON'T need to do with homo- or bisexuality!

...Fuck. This is a long post.
    Sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    my fear is that in some cases gender identification may be a result of exactly the same narcissistic process fueled by media and society. Hence my problem with normalising sex "change" surgery.

Meh.
    Mere fear of abuse should never stop any program.

And define "normalising".
    As long as you get this hugely invasive, exhausting two year psychiatric and medical probe beforehand, I don't think "normal" is a concern here. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    And even if it were, I see no issue in a physical treatment for a mental disorder? An acquaintance of mine will have surgey in a few months time to help him get rid of an anxiety that has plagued him since birth. What they will do is *actually* change the way his brain excites certain neurons. Can't get much more invasive than that, I'd say! smile

Invasive surgery is often necessary, and in this case it actually seems to strengthen my argumemt, or at least be on its side. Your friend appears to be having surgery to change the way his brain processes information. If we could do that to transgenders, I think in many cases it would be an ideal situation, because it would get to the root of the problem. No need to permanently slice the flesh. Sex change surgery is a way of applying balm, but it doesn't heal the wound. (A somewhat appropriate analogy given what happens to the penis post-surgery.)

Which is to say invasive surgery can be disastrous depending on the reasons that lead one to consider it. I'm saying that, do we really think genital mutilation (yes, I stand by that definition, because that's exactly what it is) is a practical solution to a mental disorder? As you say, it's a complex issue. But the suicide rates of post-op transgenders should not go unnoticed.

My suspicion is is that it's a mental disorder that's taken on a life of its own because we have the technology to appease it rather than truly cure it. I could, as I usually am, be wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    As long as you get this hugely invasive, exhausting two year psychiatric and medical probe beforehand, I don't think "normal" is a concern here. smile

In terms of society: liberal media and progressive types. Posts like mine above would be considered hate speech to many.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    If we could do that to transgenders, I think in many cases it would be an ideal situation, because it would get to the root of the problem.

And that is exactly, I think, where the root of the issue lies: who defines the root of the problem? Is it the patient -who fundamentally believes the root of the problem is the wrong body- or those who (fundamentally) believe it's not an issue for change but one of reasserting homogeneity.

And that too is exactly where the pain point of the public debate currently lies: the very concept of NOT taking the individual will as the measure of things is met with great resistance (especially in the groups that generally vocally champion LGBT causes) to the level of being even impossible to discuss.

We've been there many times before, of course.
    When I read law (in another lifetime) my professor Criminology was dishonourably drummed out of the University for having done research and concluded that a great deal of the criminal mind was biology-based, that there are people who by their nature are criminally-inclined.
    That of course was deemed a fascist point of view. "It's mostly society, free will for the rest, and never nature" was the common thinking in those days. And so he was ostracised.

In later years of course he was proven mostly right.
    And he never claimed it was one or the other in the first place: he just posed the theory that there were more forces at play, and nature was a more powerful one than imagined.

I see the same pain here: your point is not invalid per se (although I find myself disagreeing with some of your assertions and epithets)...but it's pretty much a given that you will not be able to even raise the point without being shouted down in much of society. And it's the very lack of willingness to debate that defines much of our Social Justice Warriors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

In terms of society: liberal media and progressive types. Posts like mine above would be considered hate speech to many.

Hmmmm. Offer a different opinion -especially with the 'safe space trigger-avoiding snowflakes' social justice warriors in America's academiae, and you WILL be publically nailed to the cross. Or at the very least utterly unable to get your actual point heard.
  4. Transgenderism, or whatever it's called - as Martijn pointed out - is not a passing mental disorder. A man does not want to be a woman. He is a woman trapped in the wrong body. This touches the body-soul problem. Although I guess you can describe the phenomenon on a purely physiological basis. Not all dispositions we don't understand indicate a delusion.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    I didn't know whether to post this in the "better" or "worse" thread, but otherwise will pass on without comment that I took my daughter to her play group this morning and there was a baby girl there called Khaleesi.

face-palm-mtface-palm-mtface-palm-mtface-palm-mtface-palm-mtface-palm-mtface-palm-mtface-palm-mt

What the fuck man. Society is going to hell. If angry pissed off aliens are awaiting their moment to blow us all into thin air, now it's the time.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    This touches the body-soul problem.

I agree with most of what you say, but the remark above to me makes things unnecessarily metaphysical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    ... a baby girl there called Khaleesi.

What the fuck man. Society is going to hell. If angry pissed off aliens are awaiting their moment to blow us all into thin air, now it's the time.

If I should ever have a son, he shall be called Anakin.

I shall watch his progress with great interest.
  5. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I agree with most of what you say, but the remark above to me makes things unnecessarily metaphysical.

I didn't mean to. It was my understanding of Steven's remarks - and I might well be mistaken - that he can't conceive of anything "being a woman" that is physiologically a man. The brain has the wrong software, if you want to put it that way. On a level beyond experience and will. The wrong BIOS. Since you cannot change that you have to adjust the hardware to make the whole package work. Why evolution would allow for such a bug programming is an interesting question. Just like homosexuality seams to be an evolutionary mistake since it doesn't further the survival of the species. But the phenomenon is there anyway.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    If we could do that to transgenders, I think in many cases it would be an ideal situation, because it would get to the root of the problem.

And that is exactly, I think, where the root of the issue lies: who defines the root of the problem? Is it the patient -who fundamentally believes the root of the problem is the wrong body- or those who (fundamentally) believe it's not an issue for change but one of reasserting homogeneity.

One of the many problems with transgender politics is those who advocate for it in the name of political correctness seem to want to have it both ways. On the one hand they imply, or flat out claim, gender is a choice (it isn't). But on the other hand they want us to believe you can fundamentally be born as the wrong gender, which null and voids any free will on the matter. Which is it? A choice, or not? I understand the feeling of being the wrong gender may be so strong as to warrant surgery in some cases (which still seems crazy to me, but each to their own; live and let live), but the politics it has birthed, no pun intended, is astounding. Sex change surgery is cosmetic with added hormones, it's not a real sex change. For heaven's sake.

I refuse to use the moniker 'LGTB', and, for now, I refuse to consider transgenderism as anything less (or more) than a mental disorder. That may hurt some feelings, but the facts can be harsh.

Captain Future wrote
    Transgenderism, or whatever it's called - as Martijn pointed out - is not a passing mental disorder. A man does not want to be a woman. He is a woman trapped in the wrong body. This touches the body-soul problem.

Only in the sense that you're willing to believe in absurdities without evidence. Show me evidence there is a soul, or even a compelling reason, and that a female soul -whatever that means- is capable of being stuck in a man's body, with all that it implies, and I'll consider the issue in a different light. You would also have to answer why the universe would make such a mistake to begin with... not exactly a parsimonious theory. As it is, we have every reason to believe it's a mental disorder. Surgery may soften the blow for some, but is having a fake vagina really a reasonable solution? I'm not so sure it is. (And why is it often a man who wants to become a woman? The liberation of femininity, I wonder?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I didn't mean to. It was my understanding of Steven's remarks - and I might well be mistaken - that he can't conceive of anything "being a woman" that is physiologically a man. The brain has the wrong software, if you want to put it that way. On a level beyond experience and will. The wrong BIOS. Since you cannot change that you have to adjust the hardware to make the whole package work. Why evolution would allow for such a bug programming is an interesting question. Just like homosexuality seams to be an evolutionary mistake since it doesn't further the survival of the species. But the phenomenon is there anyway.

Ah, now that makes more sense. I'm generally with you on that one. Software is an excellent analogy.

Although I don't think it's a case of evolution allowing it, as it were, since the very fact of evolution rests on imperfect copies. Transgenders exist in much the same way that bi-polar sufferers exist. There's no advantage to it, it's just the result of a complex brain going awry. Homosexuality is not the same, even in evolutionary terms, since it still has social benefits (i.e. kinship). For gene propagation, homosexuality is less ideal than heterosexuality, but it still bears some benefits for the 'herd' given that homosexual couples are likely to look after a child and each other. Transgenderism has nothing like this going for it, as far as I can tell. Not to imply evolution is the standard of all things, clearly it isn't, otherwise rape would be a mandate rather than a crime. But it does further illuminate the disparity between innate sexuality and gender dysphoria.
  6. Men becoming women do seem to be more common, yes, but it's not "invariable". Remember Hilary Swank's Oscar-winning turn in Boys Don't Cry? That was based on a true story of a girl who identified as male. And that's just to name one prominent example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, sorry. Invariably is the wrong word. I meant often. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016
    Steven wrote
    I refuse to consider transgenderism as anything less (or more) than a mental disorder. That may hurt some feelings, but the facts can be harsh.

Except that sounds a lot like opinion rather than fact.
    With the findings we have at our disposal, gender dysphoria seems to be much more complex than a mere one-cause mental issue (although of course it certainly may be).

And with a great many cultures throughout history and all over the planet recognising more than two genders, there is a point in time where one might consider to maybe stop putting aberrations into neat therapeutic niches, and start considering whether it's not just one more development -however relatively rare- within our rational, emotional and psychological make-up, and one that in this day and age we are capable of supporting on a much deeper and meaningful level than a mere cosmetic one. Doesn't mean it's evolutionary beneficial, the norm, or even NOT an aberration.
    It just means it's no big deal.
    Whatever works.
    In general, people's lives are made better, enriched and - much as I loathe the word- empowered.

Leaves completely aside that a great deal of transgenders has secondary (and tertiary, and ...) issues.
    Well. That's the next thing to tackle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    I refuse to consider transgenderism as anything less (or more) than a mental disorder. That may hurt some feelings, but the facts can be harsh.

Except that sounds a lot like opinion rather than fact.
    With the findings we have at our disposal, gender dysphoria seems to be much more complex than a mere one-cause mental issue (although of course it certainly may be).

You're saying it's something other than a mental disorder? That it may have more than one cause (be it a genetic disposition, or narcissism), doesn't seem to negate the fact that it's a problem in the brain as opposed to the body.

And I'm not entirely convinced people's lives are made better through sex changes. But I would have to delve into the statistics and evidence more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016
    No, as I argued above it MAY be something different than (merely) a mental disorder, as there is some very interesting research on the biology side of things. I will see if I can't find some online sources for these studies I mentioned. It's really quite fascinating!