• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Will post some of the "before" ones later Martijn.

Cool! cool

Does anyone know much about domotica in a house? Anyone has some system?

I have been looking into that (domotica) and found the technology to be unreliable still.
    There's way to much air in the market, with companies popping up and disappearing again (leaving customers with unsupported systems). There's far too many safety concerns (networked devices would be seriously prone to hacking. Not much an issue if the system simply involves heating and lights, but a serious conecrn when you put things llike the alarm system or locks into it).

So for my next house next year I will look into a few logically separated domotica systems (central light system; central heating system), but that's it. I'll stay 'analogue' for a bit longer.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016 edited
    Don't talk about 'domotica' as if it's a wellknown term. I've never heard of it.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Bregt wrote
    Kaat and I bought a house! We are now renting a house near the center of Kortrijk, a smaller city than Gent, but a lively and upcoming town with many young people and historic center because it is still affordable. We also decided to buy a house since interest rates are low and the renting was getting expensive. We were looking for something to buy since the end of last year.

The house needs a large renovation and we are going to work with an architect that is used to work with typical city row (?) houses to create space and light. It also has a cosy garden with old apple and pear trees! And it is a short walk from the city center where we often go (independant cinema, the best bars, ...).

So in the coming months I'll be less here than usual I think. Planning, drawing, breaking down stuff, helping the contractors... When it is all finished (I guess it'll take one year) you're all invited, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of MainTitles in November 2017. wink

(I'll come back to that anniversary later anyway).

cool, join the club. It was indeed the moment to buy something. Looking forward to see the begin and end result beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. I remember when we were buying our first house and the interest rates were up at 10-12%. I am sure that they reached 15% for a short period of time just after we bought our house! Luckily we'd budgeted for a time when interest rates were never going to reach that level again!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Congrats Bregt and Kaat.... enjoy your new home together! smile
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I remember when we were buying our first house and the interest rates were up at 10-12%. I am sure that they reached 15% for a short period of time just after we bought our house! Luckily we'd budgeted for a time when interest rates were never going to reach that level again!!

rates were definitely higher back in those days, but the homes cheaper. It completely turned upside down now. Still now's the time to buy a home. If not for yourselves, then for your children if possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I remember when we were buying our first house and the interest rates were up at 10-12%. I am sure that they reached 15% for a short period of time just after we bought our house! Luckily we'd budgeted for a time when interest rates were never going to reach that level again!!

rates were definitely higher back in those days, but the homes cheaper. It completely turned upside down now. Still now's the time to buy a home. If not for yourselves, then for your children if possible.

I wouldn't know if they are relatively more cheaper now. All I do know is that they seemed very expensive back then too!

Luckily we have only two more payments and then we are mortgage free!! October can't come quick enough.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016
    Thor wrote
    Don't talk about 'domotica' as if it's a wellknown term. I've never heard of it.

Ha! It's a set electronics to enable automation of lights (on/off), heating, sensors, energy metrics, ... controlled from a central point (eg. smartphone or device on the wall) and combined with internet, you can turn on heating away from home for example. I guess the word in English is something else.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Luckily we have only two more payments and then we are mortgage free!! October can't come quick enough.

Wow, that's cool! On what will the money that comes free be spent? wink
    Kazoo
  5. I wish it could be spent on great music but part of the 'free cash' is already being spent on the new car!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote

Ha! It's a set electronics to enable automation of lights (on/off), heating, sensors, energy metrics, ... controlled from a central point (eg. smartphone or device on the wall) and combined with internet, you can turn on heating away from home for example. I guess the word in English is something else.

A-ha....isn't this what they call a "smart house"?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I think it is. "Domotica" sounds more like what people who are, like, really really into houses (in rather unusual ways) would read...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    From Latin 'Domus' for 'house', I presume.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I wouldn't know if they are relatively more cheaper now. All I do know is that they seemed very expensive back then too!

well if I compare the prices my parents bought their house with, it is definitely cheaper. Then again, back in those days the salary was different too tongue

Ah, you're mortgage free in several months. Good for you. For us another 25 years to go face-palm-mt
    You have to start somewhere I think dizzy
  8. The sooner you start the sooner you finish!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    well if I compare the prices my parents bought their house with, it is definitely cheaper.

How do you DO that in Belgium?
    In Netherlands house prices have gone up 150% since 1993 (when my parents bought their last house) (against an overall average inflation of 100% since that time, so even allowing for that house prices are mad).

What I can buy now in price compares to a stately 10 room mansion in 1990! crazy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. I listened to a feature on the radio some time ago, that said that in the mid 80s in Germany general prosperity peeked and wealth was most evenly distributed.
    Back then one income a bit but not much above average sufficed to
    - buy or build a house
    - buy a middle class car every few years
    - go on family vacation to the Alps or the sea annually
    - get two children educated at university.

For the same it takes two incomes today and even then it's a stretch.

slant Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    well if I compare the prices my parents bought their house with, it is definitely cheaper.

In Netherlands house prices have gone up 150% since 1993 (when my parents bought their last house) (against an overall average inflation of 100% since that time, so even allowing for that house prices are mad).

What I can buy now in price compares to a stately 10 room mansion in 1990! crazy

I don't know where Thomas gets his data, but it's the same here. Houses 3 doubled in price over the past 20 years. Interest rates are very low at the moment though (1.60% over 20 years is the default these days). However, I doubt our parents paid 12%???
    Kazoo
  10. Anyone here loves aerated (bubble) chocolate, too? I do! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Anyone here loves aerated (bubble) chocolate, too? I do! lick

Now and then. We have one in Norway called Stratos. But I generally prefer the harder milk kind.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Anyone here loves aerated (bubble) chocolate, too? I do! lick

YAH, bro! lick

My favourite candy bar none when I grew up.
    Still quite partial to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2016
  11. Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I don't know where Thomas gets his data, but it's the same here. Houses 3 doubled in price over the past 20 years. Interest rates are very low at the moment though (1.60% over 20 years is the default these days). However, I doubt our parents paid 12%???

I was saying that the price of my parent's house was cheaper compared to mine wink
    So the link confirms it
  12. So domotica is like erotica for domiciles. That's a funny word smile. Congrats on the new house Bregt! That's exciting. We just sold the first home we ever bought after living in it for ten years. Even though our new house is bigger and better in nearly every way, moving from the home was kind of sad! Your interest rates are amazing right now. Good luck with all the improvements!
  13. Prometheus' The Thief of Bagdad arrived today. I'll not listen to it tonight because I arrived late from work (parents day) an I am too tired. I'll give this great release its due attention soon.

Volker
  14. Playing "Hey Jude" on the piano. I got completely lost improvising over that outro. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2017
    I can hardly believe it, but it's true: JACK NICHOLSON IS BACK!!!

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jack- … 201980617/

Made my day.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote
    I can hardly believe it, but it's true: JACK NICHOLSON IS BACK!!!

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jack- … 201980617/

Made my day.

I got so excited about this yesterday, I created a news article, I posted on Facebook and I did posts about it on FSM, here and on JWFAN. Much to my frustration and massive surprise, the response has been insanely low all over the place. I realize I'm a Jack 'super-fan', but I would think that the return after a 7-year-absence for one of the alltime biggest actors and movie stars would at the VERY least warrant SOME reaction.

So 'what made your day a little better?' suddenly became 'what's annoying you currently?'.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Sorry, Thor. For my part, I'm glad he's able to come back, but I must admit that while I think he's a fantastic actor, I've never loved watching him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2017
    christopher wrote
    Sorry, Thor. For my part, I'm glad he's able to come back, but I must admit that while I think he's a fantastic actor, I've never loved watching him.

That seems to be a recurring sentiment. I must be hanging out in all the wrong circles.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2017