• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013
    Congratulations to Elin on a well-deserved doctorate. You honour your Norwegian blood well. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013 edited
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwLn_His9Yw

Congrats, Elin! Been reading about the stressful journey on facebook, so I can imagine the huge relief you must feel.

Peter smile
  1. Hi all,

Sorry I have been offline for so long, but you can all guess why that is.
    I had indeed a great day/evening.
    It was a joy to share my love for both science and tango with my colleagues and friends. It was lovely to see them mix at the reception.
    I feel so gratefull for having my fellow soundtrack fans there.

As Bregt mentioned in his previous post, I mentioned you guys in my acknowledgments.
    I plan to post them on facebook, and here. But that will have to wait till later this day (it's 1:40 AM right now and I'm nackered).

So, now that I have my degree, my social life can start to return to normal, and I can do some more fun stuff with you guys.

Sending you all a big hug and a thank you for all the support,

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013
    I was taught only one way to congratulate Elin....

hug
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Skating_Lientje wrote
    Hi all,

Sorry I have been offline for so long, but you can all guess why that is.
    I had indeed a great day/evening.
    It was a joy to share my love for both science and tango with my colleagues and friends. It was lovely to see them mix at the reception.
    I feel so gratefull for having my fellow soundtrack fans there.

As Bregt mentioned in his previous post, I mentioned you guys in my acknowledgments.
    I plan to post them on facebook, and here. But that will have to wait till later this day (it's 1:40 AM right now and I'm nackered).

So, now that I have my degree, my social life can start to return to normal, and I can do some more fun stuff with you guys.

Sending you all a big hug and a thank you for all the support,

Elin

so happy it's finally over.
    Congrats girl kiss
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. So here we go, as promised, I post my acknowledgements.
    Elin wrote
    Acknowledgements

First of all I would like to thank my two promotors, Prof. Dr. Patric Jacobs and Prof. Dr. Frank Mostaert. Without them, I would never have embarked on this journey. And their continuous support and belief in me have kept me going towards this end goal: a thesis and a doctors’ degree.

I also would like to thank the members of my examination committee, who right at the end of the process, were still able to contribute greatly by interesting and thought-provoking comments. Thanks to you, this thesis is a better end product.

Furthermore, I have encountered people from all over the world, whom have selflessly accepted a sort of mentorship over me and whom have shared their insights and wisdom in various fields of science, but also their insights into life as a scientist and life in general.

Art Horowitz (and his wife Carolyn) have welcomed me in their home and gave me more than I could ever hope for and more than I can ever give back. I have decided to pay it forward and now spread the good cheer of Tom Lehrer to whomever wants to hear it.

Han Golterman (and his wife Nell) were kind enough to stop by regularly on their frequent trips between Holland and France. Every encounter taught me new things about iron chemistry and made me grow as a scientist. Now that you have settled in Holland indefinitely, I’ll have to come visit you guys, instead of the other way around.

And finally Adrian Collins, whose enthusiasm about sediment fingerprinting is the best antidote against depression when yet another modelling result didn’t turn out the expected results. It was a pleasure to see scientific hunger in action and to be ignited by it.

Additionally, I want to thank, I need to thank, ing. Jan De Schutter, without whom about 1/3 of this thesis would not have seen the light. MARS exists because of you. Your creative and continuously searching scientific mind is a treasure which is already being missed at FHR.

As institutes I would like to thank the Vlaamse Milieumaatschappij, the Department of Environment, Nature and Energy (Afdeling Land en Bodembescherming, Ondergrond, Natuurlijke Rijkdommen: Dienst Land en Bodembescherming) and Flanders Hydraulics Research for the use of their data.

I also have many people to thank in the academic and professional field, for helping me in a very practical way, by allowing me (and the students I supervised) to access their laboratories and play around with their equipment and helping me with some of my analyses. These people include Prof. Dr. Margaret Chen (VUB) for sharing her knowledge on flocs and for assisting in a sampling campaign, using her floc sampler; Prof. Dr. Peter Van de haute en Dr. Johan De Grave for making their microscopes available and Guido Uytersprot from the Laboratory of Environmental Toxicology of Ghent University for his assistance in the iron content analyses. Furthermore, I would also like to thank Prof. Dr. Louwye for providing me with sediment of the Diest Formation and ir. Ward De Cooman from the VMM, for the sampling campaigns in the Demer basin. Prof. Dr. Rene Van Grieken (Department of Chemistry, UA) I would like to thank for the XRF-analyses executed at his MiTAC research group. Additionally, I would like to thank Kurt Blom for keeping my computer virus-free and working.

I also want to thank the master and bachelor scription students whom I supervised. I invested a lot of energy in them, but they gave me so much more in return: Tom, Jozefien, Helena, Steven, Rindert, Bram, William and last but not least Patty, you were a delight to work with.

I also need to thank all the people who work at Flanders Hydraulics Research. They are at the moment my colleagues, but they have helped me all along the way: from the first day I started my master thesis until the day I finished the PhD, and they continue to be there for me. Some of these colleagues deserve a shout-out, so here it goes (in no particular order): Eric (for infecting me with love for the Scheldt, this will never go away); Steven (for his relentless search for the truth - or at least the journal articles in which this appears); Lia, Ellen, Rita, Mireille and the rest of the sedimentological lab team (for their excellent work and their good spirits, it was a joy to work alongside you); Hans, Jef, Ivo, Jean-Paul, Paul, Peter, Erwin, Guy and Leonid (for your devoted work on and around the field); Wouter, Erika and Stef (for your very much appreciated help with GIS-maps); Ricardo, Hans, Sam and Koen (for being my IT-life-lines, when a computer decided to crash once more, or a macro decided to do the complete opposite of what it was programmed to do); Stijn, Patrik and Joris (because it’s good to have fellow PhD-writers who also work full time around), Fernando, Maarten, Leen, Peter, Niels, Yaïr, Gudrun, Ria, Thomas, Karen, Koen, Bram, Annelies and Ruben (a.k.a the rest of HIC in the present or the past) for being part of a great team, where I can feel at home. Also part of the team are the wonderful people of MOD. We couldn’t do what we were doing without your support.

There are some people from FHR, whom I have not mentioned above, because they are more than colleagues. They were the shoulder I could cry on when things were just too hard to carry on my own and they were there to share a laughter. Lieve and Marc: I love you guys.

A special mention also goes to ir. Katrien Van Eerdenbrugh, who was, when she was still working at FHR, my supervisor. She gave me the room to learn one of the most important lessons in life: it is ok to fail. You learn from it and you get better at whatever it is you’re doing. Look where I ended up…

And when I’m on the topic of special mentions, one person is absolutely deserved of a special mention: dr. Katleen Van Meel. We met through this PhD-work, we continued to work together at FHR, but what binds us is much more than chemistry, science or work. Because it takes a lion, to recognize one…

When it comes to the finalized product, my thanks goes out to Viki, David and Yvan. For fighting MS Word with me, and being just as perfectionistic as me. Also a big thank you to my TDT (typo detection team, consisting of Cristina, Marc, Rogier, Martijn, Laura, Leandro, Joris, Erik, Luc, Kevin and mental support from Menno). This group of friends (consisting of tango friends, soundtrack nuts, figure skaters and one statistical wonder, helped me out so much, finding typos where I could only see words and figures).

This PhD is much more than just 350+ pages. It represents a period of my life, a period in which I grew as a person. And therefore I cannot say that I could have finished this work, had it not been for this personal growth, which was enabled by so many people who were or still are part of my life.

My first big thank you goes to Ingridje, the best coach and friend anybody could want; Luis, who taught me not to judge myself, but to love myself instead; Els and Anneke, who both in their own way, have helped to lighten the load I was carrying, which made the trip that much easier.

But there are also so many people in my social network, who kept me sane, when I was going loopy, they kept me grounded, when I was ready to fly off, they helped me to be me. These people include my friends from my figure skating life, the tango scene and my fellow soundtrack geeks. A big shout-out goes to Bear McCreary, whose music became the soundtrack to my PhD, and whose encouragements on facebook brought a smile on my face.

And that brings me to facebook… Well, I’m not going to thank Mark Zuckerberg for creating it, but I am going to thank all my friends on there, whom have followed all of my PhD-related posts (and sometimes whining) and who found the time to keep posting sweet little nothings, and great humoristic quotes to keep my spirits up. You were essential to my good mood. Thank you guys so much.

We are nearing the end of this list, and so all who remain, are my nearest and dearest…
    Alexander, Tine, Ywan and Marcel, you are all people who share a part of my soul and whom I love dearly. Distance doesn’t mean anything when hearts are connected. You have always been there for me. Thank you so much.

My godfather and aunty, who have always believed in me, through thick and thin. I can only hope they realize how important they are to me.
    My godmother and uncle, who have always been there for me, and are the best supporters a niece can ask for.

My cousin Rutger, whose cookery is legendary. He is also the first man to ever decorate my bathroom with candles and a computer playing meditation music, in an attempt to get me to relax and get my mind off this PhD. (Note to readers with a dirty mind: no he wasn’t in the bathroom at the time I was taking the bath. He’s my cousin…). In any case, Rutger, you rock!

My sister Kirstin and her husband Christophe, who have fed me when I was too tired to feed myself after another long day (and/or night) of PhD-work and who have pried me away from my books to take a walk along the Durme every now and again. Sis, you were always there to share anything that needed sharing, or draw a Tarot card to make sense of it all. You are my best friend, my closest family. De zusjes, die krijgt niemand uit elkaar…

And finally mom and dad. There is nothing left to say except: lover you ;-).

And to those I might forgot to mention by name, my gratitude is no less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yay! I got a mention by name! cheesy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Now that's acknowledgements! Far more extensive than in my own thesis.

For curiosity's sake, is there any chance we could know the name of your thesis, Elin? I probably wouldn't understand any of it, but it would be interesting nonetheless.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Martijn wrote
    Yay! I got a mention by name! cheesy

Of course you did. You were an essential part of my TDT (typo detection team).
    It wouldn't have been as good without your excellent typo localisation skills and suggestions for the betterment of my English :-).

Thor wrote
    Now that's acknowledgements! Far more extensive than in my own thesis.

For curiosity's sake, is there any chance we could know the name of your thesis, Elin? I probably wouldn't understand any of it, but it would be interesting nonetheless.

Be ready for a mouthfull:
    Sediment concentrations, fluxes and source apportionment:
    methodology assessment and application in Nete and Demer tributary basins (river Scheldt basin, Belgium)

And for those interested, I put a pdf on this dropbox location.

And about the not-understanding any of it, you should ask Bregt, Thomas and Maxime about it. They had to sit through the entire presentation.
    Patty, who was also present, should have understood most, as she participated in part of the research. But the rest came in 'with an open mind'.
    I tried to explain everything clearly and structurally. I hope I succeeded.

Of course, the text itself, is slightly less global overview, and more to the point. But the abstract should be +/- readible, I guess ;-).

Elin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    I can buy ....

THIS

...in my local shop.

That's X-mas and B'day presents sorted for some people biggrin devil
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I can buy ....

THIS

...in my local shop.

That's X-mas and B'day presents sorted for some people biggrin devil

XXX-mas?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I've never tried it; I hear it's a little bitter but it should be rich in protein.

Peter wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013
    Off to my friends Daughters wedding reception.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Speaking of weddings I was the best man at my brother's wedding recently. Easiest job I've ever had.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Speaking of weddings I was the best man at my brother's wedding recently. Easiest job I've ever had.

Peter smile

cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Lucky you. I'm currently the best man for my best mate, who's getting married at the end of July. The arranging of the 'utdrikningslag' (drinking-out party) the upcoming weekend has been a lot of work! He will get a pilot session in an open airplane, then we'll head on over to a crosscart track for some wild driving, then we'll head on to a cabin in the woods where we'll spend the night. What I hadn't anticipated was how difficult it was to find a free cabin at the start of the 'common holiday' which starts next weekend. Ouch.

In July, I have to buy a gift, buy a new tux, prepare a speech and help the groom with various arrangements.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013
    Tim-> beer

Thor-> Sounds a lot harder than my gig! There were so many speeches at my wedding that my brother said that I didn't have to hold one. Huge sigh of relief as that would have been my all-time worst nightmare. Btw, can't you rent a tux? I managed to find a place where I could rent a fancy Calvin Klein suit for only 300 kroner. I know you don't have a lot of money, so that might be something for you to consider.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013
    Not a bad idea, Peter!

I'm rather comfortable with speeches, so I'm not too worried about that. More about the upcoming drinking-out party.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013
    Been at Glastonbury Festival most of the day, setting tent up etc. I go back on Tuesday afternoon for the remainder....can't wait! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Been at Glastonbury Festival most of the day, setting tent up etc. I go back on Tuesday afternoon for the remainder....can't wait! punk

Are you there as an employee or for the expensive funsies? Just found it odd that you went came back and then will be going back... spin
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2013 edited
    Sarah wrote
    Timmer wrote

Are you there as an employee or for the expensive funsies? Just found it odd that you went came back and then will be going back... spin

I'll be working there and having 'funsies' wink , I'm fortunate that I'm part of a team that gets paid wages, a lot of employees just work to get a ticket.

We always go down a few days before to set up our tents smile ( we have private camping in a secure field, lots of expensive equipment around etc, there's a few groups who work weeks before us, riggers, scaffolders, sound engineers etc )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Sarah wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'll be working there and having 'funsies' wink , I'm fortunate that I'm part of a team that gets paid wages, a lot of employees just work to get a ticket.

We always go down a few days before to set up our tents smile ( we have private camping in a secure field, lots of expensive equipment around etc, there's a few groups who work weeks before us, riggers, scaffolders, sound engineers etc )

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    Sarah wrote
    Never hearing back from job applications! ARGHRUDLKGNFN VC,CVFN sad

I had a phone interview on Monday for a lingerie trade show in London as an intern.... AND I GOT IT. There were 2 places AND I GOT IT bounce

And I re-dyed my hair blue with turquoise and I look like the sea! bounce
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So if we were to see you in action, we'd get to see the bottom of the sea? wink

Seriously though: congratulations! Not easy landing a job these days, and you did it.
    How long is it for?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Sarah wrote
    Sarah wrote

I had a phone interview on Monday for a lingerie trade show in London as an intern.... AND I GOT IT. There were 2 places AND I GOT IT bounce

we want pictures cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    So if we were to see you in action, we'd get to see the bottom of the sea? wink

Seriously though: congratulations! Not easy landing a job these days, and you did it.
    How long is it for?

lol

It's just an internship for four days. so i' not quitting the day job, but every other lingerie job i have applied for has turned me down because of experience, so this will add up to my experience pile YIPPY
  6. I was very occupied job-wise during the last two weeks. (Typical end-of-term stress.) I had lots of essays to correct, meetings, some preparation for the graduation party ...

Meanwhile my appartment degraded into a mess.

This morning I'm giving it a good clean-up, so it will look decent again when I'm done. About time.

The only letdown is, that you can't listen to music over the vacuum cleaner. cheesy

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2013
    I just got home from an incredible performance of Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring performed by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra. It's been a decades long dream of mine to see this amazing music performed live.
    I can die now! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2013
    Sarah wrote
    Sarah wrote

punk beer
  7. The trailer for a film called Sand Sharks:

http://youtu.be/_qEfO5iNicI

I have been curious ever since I came across Mario Salvucci's enjoyable score for this film. Could the film be about sharks that somehow came from the sand? Surely not. But I was wrong, and it is a film just about that.

From the trailer it looks like it's just Jaws - and to get around any accusation of just copying that film they swap the sea for sand. In a way it's genius.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn