• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Indeed. I'm struggling to think of any score that I'd want to hear 2 discs' worth of?

You are nearly correct but then you go and forget your very favourite James Horner score of all time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don Davis?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Make that "almost no scores stand up (...)". I find myself completely bored by almost every form of 2-disc scores these days. Fuck c&c.

Indeed. I'm struggling to think of any score that I'd want to hear 2 discs' worth of?

I'll start the list.

1) The Empire Strikes Back

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    CONAN THE BARBARIAN
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Make that "almost no scores stand up (...)". I find myself completely bored by almost every form of 2-disc scores these days. Fuck c&c.

You are nearly correct but then you go and forget your very favourite James Horner score of all time.

Which is? smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Which is? smile

rolleyes

Krull dear boy.

KRRRRRUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014 edited
    Let me bring my bucket.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No. Take some shrooms! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014
    I'm just hoping it will add some great tracks, like the ST09 Deluxe Edition did. I haven't got the movie in fresh memory (only seen it once), so I only remember "Ode to Harrison" of the new tracks. But that is a great piece of music... smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014
    Ode To Harrison is a fantastic track!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014 edited
    That is the only track really missing from the original release that I wanted. It would have been a perfect cue to round out the album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2014
    yeah
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

The only one that's ever worked for me is Young's "The Core."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah . JOSH is right. A rare case in which all that duration of music works.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2014 edited
    You're kidding! Right!?? uhm

I like The Core, Young did a Jerry Goldsmith on this ( as in great score for a crappy movie ) but it is tiresome to sit all the way through.
  1. If there is any score that works over two CDs then it is CONAN THE BARBARIAN.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    If there is any score that works over two CDs then it is CONAN THE BARBARIAN.

At last. The voice of truth!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Empire Strikes Back and Conan The Barbarian are the frontrunners now. What else can we add?

Superman would be on my list. CutThroat Island would be on my list. The Sea Hawk. Young Sherlock Holmes...

-Erik-
  2. Cutthroat and Arnold's Godzilla and Independence Day for sure (although I bet not everyone agrees with that, more fools them). The other two original trilogy Star Wars scores. The Lord of the Rings scores (I bet a nicely edited 2-CD edition of those would work even for folks who don't like the 3- and 4-CD complete recordings). There's plenty of scores that merit it. And plenty that don't but still have or had excellent unreleased cues that are/were worth an expansion just to hear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nothing mentioned so far works for me in that form.

Something like Fenton's Planet Earth - where there is zero melodic repetition across any two tracks - would fit the bill. Even a lot of the true great scores (and some of those mentioned above are indeed truly great) are just too repetitive when heard like that, for me. Oh, it's the 50th version of the Imperial March... zzz... (I'd have shot someone for saying that 15 years ago.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    CONAN, EMPIRE and KRULL

Not sure about any other mentions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014
    Southall wrote
    Oh, it's the 50th version of the Imperial March... zzz... (I'd have shot someone for saying that 15 years ago.)

And I going to do the same to you for saying that. The thing about The Imperial March in Empire is that no two versions are the same. That's what make Williams so damn good, the theme so damn good and that score so damn good. He didn't cheap out one bit on that score. Each and every FUCKING version of The Imperial March is splendid and most welcome to these ears.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Cutthroat and Arnold's Godzilla and Independence Day for sure (although I bet not everyone agrees with that, more fools them). The other two original trilogy Star Wars scores. The Lord of the Rings scores (I bet a nicely edited 2-CD edition of those would work even for folks who don't like the 3- and 4-CD complete recordings). There's plenty of scores that merit it. And plenty that don't but still have or had excellent unreleased cues that are/were worth an expansion just to hear.

All five of those scores are personal favourites, proper desert island material. None of them work better in 2 disc format for me. Even Empire has moments which I'd happily go without listening to ever again. (That's not to say they're bad, quite the opposite, it's brilliant film music end-to-end. But as an album, as a separate listening experience to the film, I just don't need every note.)

But then I'm one of very few people who prefers the anniversary editions of both Close Encounters and ET. (I'd include Jaws in there too, but I think that's universally loved.) I'm assuming these three albums present the scores in their entirety?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The original Jaws album is a trillion times better. Universally loved my arse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I prefer the longer Close Encounters though, for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, then maybe Jaws too then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    In fact since most people are morons* I think most people probably prefer the longer albums of ET and Jaws.

*Not really of course, everyone's amazing and everything's great
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Ah, then maybe Jaws too then.

There's an expanded release of Jaws 2?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The original Jaws album is a trillion times better. Universally loved my arse.

yeah
  3. Steven wrote
    All five of those scores are personal favourites, proper desert island material. None of them work better in 2 disc format for me.

It's not about "works better" (I haven't yet found a score that works better as an album in complete form, although I always prefer my edited-down complete scores to an album producer's, oddly enough), it's about whether it works at all.