• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    I prefer the longer Close Encounters though, for sure.

I like both.

As for E.T., though I'm glad to have both, the original MCA recording is quite simply unbeatable!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    All five of those scores are personal favourites, proper desert island material. None of them work better in 2 disc format for me.

It's not about "works better" (I haven't yet found a score that works better as an album in complete form, although I always prefer my edited-down complete scores to an album producer's, oddly enough), it's about whether it works at all.

Ah. That is indeed an important distinction, which I had missed. It goes without saying that Empire Strikes Back works as a 2CD set.
  1. Timmer wrote
    CONAN, EMPIRE and KRULL

Not sure about any other mentions.

How 'bout El Cid?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I must say that while I listen to Golden Age rarely, I can't imagine the scores being presented differently than complete and chronological releases. While the length, ironically, may be the reason why I listen to them rarely, when I do, I want to appreciate the genius of the scores.

I might not prefer a complete release, but I definitely prefer when the program is actually chronological, so at least I'd have a glimpse at how the material develops.

My favorite non-chronological and incomplete score programming on album (though mind you, not my favorite album itself) must be The Last Samurai. The album has cues that in the film are all over the place (in fact maybe three-four could be regarded as scene-specific), but the way it's carefully changed around tells the film's story better than the film does itself. While the score may be overbearing in the film at times (which is another matter) is not, actually, the score's fault.

I love development of themes and their functional arcs. Back to Golden Age, I think that a 30-minute pre-programmed selection would do little justice to how meticously constructed the music is. And if anyone is interested in how the Hollywood model developed, it has to be considered in full.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    None of them work better in 2 disc format for me.

It's not about "works better"

For me it is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Last Samurai. While the score may be overbearing in the film at times (which is another matter) is not, actually, the score's fault.

Eh?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    None of them work better in 2 disc format for me.

It's not about "works better"

For me it is.

Fair enough, but this particular question was about whether any scores work at all in 2-CD form. Yep, I'll insist on these slight semantic differences until the cows come home. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014
    "The thing about The Imperial March in Empire is that no two versions are the same. That's what make Williams so damn good, the theme so damn good and that score so damn good. He didn't cheap out one bit on that score. Each and every FUCKING version of The Imperial March is splendid and most welcome to these ears."

Nicely said Erik.
    That should be carved in stone somewhere! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Make that "almost no scores stand up (...)". I find myself completely bored by almost every form of 2-disc scores these days. Fuck c&c.

You said it, bro!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014
    Last year, Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino recorded his score to the new dramatic-comedy, This Is Where I Leave You. Directed by Shawn Levy, recording of the score took place at the Eastwood Scoring Stage at Warner Bros., and the film opened this past Friday, September 19th. ScoringSessions.com is pleased our readers photos from the session!

http://scoringsessions.com/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    You're kidding! Right!?? uhm

I like The Core, Young did a Jerry Goldsmith on this ( as in great score for a crappy movie ) but it is tiresome to sit all the way through.

Ah, the CORE too. And Conan. And Arnold's Godzilla. And Independence Day . You're right.

Cutthroat: no, overkill
    LOTR expanded: noooooooooooooo
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Arnold's ID4 and Godzilla but Cutthroat is overkill? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014 edited
    For me, yes (in its expanded form). I always program in just the cues i like.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    I always program in just the cues i like.

And for me there's no programming needed. The whole thing... everything single note... is bloody brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014 edited
    Only* Conan The Barbarian falls into the listen from beginning to end no need for programming category from those scores you mention.

*For me.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2014
    According to amazon.de Sony Music will release Michael Giacchino's Music for "Jupiter Ascending" as a 2-CD-Set:
    http://www.amazon.de/Jupiter-Ascending- … mp;sr=1-79

Release date: January 30 2015.

Sounds very good to me!! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2014
    #justThorthings
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014
    Sweet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014 edited
    I'm excited for the inevitable super-sappy scenes ala Cloud Atlas which receive super-sappy Lost-ish music from Giacchino. I love that sort of thing. biggrin I loved Cloud Atlas but I think Giacchino can do that sort of thing even better.

Steven, go away. cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014
    confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2014 edited
    Really looking forward to this. And it's going to be a great 6 months for Giacchino-fans with no less than 4 scores coming out. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2015
    Steven wrote
    confused

I meant for the inevitable Cloud Atlas sucks comment wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh I see.

Cloud Atlas sucks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thank you. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's what I'm paid to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The money is left in the usual place.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    On my way.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2015 edited
    The Jupiter Ascending soundtrack will be out on (I believe) 30th January, and the cover and tracklist can be seen by clicking the link.

Oh, and it's two discs!

In addition, Michael's recent piano concert piece, "Composition 430" will be available on CD from 14th February, and it also features music by John Williams, Alexandre Desplat, Bruce Broughton, Don Davis and Randy Newman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2015 edited
    Anthony wrote
    The Jupiter Ascending soundtrack will be out on (I believe) 30th January, and the cover and tracklist can be seen by clicking the link.

Oh, and it's two discs!

In addition, Michael's recent piano concert piece, "Composition 430" will be available on CD from 14th February, and it also features music by John Williams, Alexandre Desplat, Bruce Broughton, Don Davis and Randy Newman.

Yeah, I've been waiting for that last one for more than a year now. Not for the Giacchino, as you can imagine, but for Williams' "Conversations", his first concert piece for his primary instrument since his very first concert piece -- the piano sonata in 1951.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2015
    Don Davis!