• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2015 edited
    That's great! But it's been immediately topped by Raiders!
  1. I just saw a trailer of "Tomorrowland"

"You are the chosen one. Only you can safe the world."

Good thing, Disney bought LucasFilm, right?

The music sounds great.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Because having the protagonist be a "chosen one" was so original when Star Wars did it? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2015 edited
    I'm starting to find that whole concept to be deeply, repulsively, exhaustingly boring. Show me stories about believable, multifaceted people in believable, complex situations. Enough of the archetypal demigods and hero's journeys. I've read / heard / seen it way too many times for a new "twist of the week" to save it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Because having the protagonist be a "chosen one" was so original when Star Wars did it? rolleyes

Certainly not. I rather wanted to indicate what Scribe pointed out more clearly. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2015
    Even so, I will be back in the theater for the new Star Wars trilogy to experience what will in all likelihood be the same story again, only with different actors and minor re-arrangements of the tropes. Because lightsabers and John Williams and Skywalker Sound.
  4. With the greatest enthusiasm!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2015
    Scribe wrote
    I'm starting to find that whole concept to be deeply, repulsively, exhaustingly boring. Show me stories about believable, multifaceted people in believable, complex situations. Enough of the archetypal demigods and hero's journeys. I've read / heard / seen it way too many times for a new "twist of the week" to save it.

Perhaps. But there's many more movies to see than the big blockbusters right? The Recent Viewing thread often shows alternatives, but they're usually smaller or European films.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Certainly. It's only a question of which stories get lots of money to be filmed and which don't...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But that doesn't matter for your problem (that you had enough of this type of movies). The type of movies you are looking for are out there. smile But I understand what you are saying.
    Kazoo
  5. It would be nice if we got more films that have interesting, layered story and characters, AND ginormous mega-budget glorious eye candy and action sequences. With Hollywood you (generally) have to do without the former and with indie/Europe you (generally) have to do without the latter. So I can certainly see what Scribe is saying.
  6. Imagine Werner Herzog or Lars von Trier doing a STAR WARS film. shocked Not that they could ever be bothered to do so. Well, Kenneth Branagh directed THOR and the result was great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Imagine Werner Herzog or Lars von Trier doing a STAR WARS film. shocked Not that they could ever be bothered to do so. Well, Kenneth Branagh directed THOR and the result was great.

Yeah, but the Marvel version of Thor is basically a fancy superhero version of Shakespeare (it even has Anthony Hopkins!), so the leap isn't that great.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Archetypes are everywhere, even if the story structure isn't archetypal, the idea of going through a rite of passage (which the hero's journey is structured around... and it's about forming a myth, really) is something very believable and represents actually the character's development.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Over at FSM a couple days ago a post with a Tweet from Chad Seiter's wife said the score to the new Jurassic Park movie is recording in two weeks.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Bregt wrote
    But that doesn't matter for your problem (that you had enough of this type of movies). The type of movies you are looking for are out there. smile But I understand what you are saying.

No, they're not out there. There's a whole class of movie that doesn't exist because there's no one to fund it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    justin boggan wrote
    Over at FSM a couple days ago a post with a Tweet from Chad Seiter's wife said the score to the new Jurassic Park movie is recording in two weeks.

Justin, stay on topic please. This isn't a thread about Giacchin......oh, wait.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015
    I didn't even know what thread I was in. I just kept seeing quotes of me and replying to them dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015
    So LOST is getting a spin-off mini-series called Awakening.

http://goo.gl/6ZWvU5

Do you think MG will be back?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If the producers have any sense, sure. (Which is to say no, probably not.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    (Hmm, suppose I should have taken note of today's date now that's it's been pointed out to me.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    wink
  9. He might be getting too much film work to want to go back to TV. He might end up handing it off to somebody who works for him, like Seiter.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015
  10. A cue from "Jurassic World" as premiered today on an internet radio program with an itnerview with the composer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl1azzWzmps

EDIT:
    Here's an alternative link with a second track, an action cue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEk9EH2dKlk
  11. That first track sounds a bit like something Christopher Gordon might write for an athletic contest. I though the same of a couple tracks from Tomorrowland. That's a good thing, in my book.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2015
    Yeah, Giacchino is branching out his sound a bit (although the second cue returns to his more familiar current action style).
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2015 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    A cue from "Jurassic World" as premiered today on an internet radio program with an itnerview with the composer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl1azzWzmps

This sounds really good! The first track actually sounds AMAZING! Far more "sparkling" than I expected this score to sound like! CAN'T WAIT!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2015
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2015
    Great review! Is Jupiter Ascending next? wink