• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016
    Sounds great, as long as there are memorable themes to go with that stuff.
  1. Captain Future wrote
    Oh, boy, oh boy, oh boy ...

Care to elaborate? Go for it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Southall wrote
    Sounds great, as long as there are memorable themes to go with that stuff.

Seconded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016
    Yep, we already knew he could do the Star Wars stylistics. Now give us some themes!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. My review of ROGUE ONE, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/12/20/rogu … giacchino/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2016 edited
    Agreed, well said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2016 edited
    Interesting that people seem to hear something in it that I completely fail to discern (with even references to "themes" which completely elude me time and again).

To me- as I stated before- it's not a bad score by any means (and one might wonder what would have come out had the composer been allotted more time), and very functional. But it's neither specifically fun, nor specifically listenable, nor specifically clever outside of the film. If I need Giacchino in "that" mode, I'll bung in one of his Medal Of Honor scores, or even better the outstanding Secret Weapons Over Normandy.

(My rating would be 2.5-3 for its function in the film. But nowhere near 4.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. It's the most subtle and intelligent film music composition I have listened to in a long time. 5 stars from me.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    Interesting that people seem to hear something in it that I completely fail to discern (with even references to "themes" which completely elude me time and again).

The last three tracks...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, fair enough. The suites are great! (And I'm really glad he's bringing that sadly outdated pratice back in vogue!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn - If you have some time over the holidays, listen to this podcast.
    http://www.rebelforceradio.com/shows/20 … one-part-1

David Collins deconstructed the score to show the listeners just how clever and well thought out it really is.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I will listen to it.
    But it won't matter much: my reaction to music is -and always has been- visceral.

I will still be able to properly evaluate and appreciate a certain cleverness or other cognitive aspect (or indeed lack thereof) when I find it or when it's pointed out, but if my initial feeling and emotional reaction towards a score were a certain way, these (additional) considerations so far never have changed that, ever.
  5. Very nicely put. Kind of describes my feelings towards Alexandre Desplat. But yeah, if I listen to a score and the connection isn't immediately there, it probably won't ever be no matter how much I analyze it. Maybe I'll admire the score more, but I won't love it.
  6. That was a really great episode Erik, listened to it on my flight home for Xmas a few days ago and can't wait for him to dig further into it on future episodes! He pointed out a number of things which had totally passed me by and I thought I'd been listening pretty closely and I know the original 'Star Wars' soundtrack just as well as anyone!

I totally agree with you Martijn, if I don't connect emotionally with music how cleverly constructed it is won't do anything further to make me enjoy it. I wish it would as I know the 'Hobbit' scores are meant to be as finely crafted as 'The Lord of The Rings', but they just make me feel nothing at all, my biggest film score disappointment ever. Luckily I love the 'Rogue One' soundtrack already so this type of analysis just deepens and expands how much I enjoy it.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn - If you have some time over the holidays, listen to this podcast.
    http://www.rebelforceradio.com/shows/20 … one-part-1

David Collins deconstructed the score to show the listeners just how clever and well thought out it really is.

-Erik-

This is a great show. I appreciate Rogue One quite a bit more after hearing this analysis. I recommend it as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2016

Spot on review, James! smile

Just like you, I too struggle to see what's not to like here. Sounds like Star Wars, yet also himself. It has great thematic material (especially the Jyn, Hope and Whills themes are fantastic)... AND it works well within the movie (except that weird logo sequence). In other words, he nailed it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2016
    I'll tell you what's wrong, he......wait. I have a feeling of deja vu.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2016
    Nice review, William! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2017
    William!? That's a long time ago! wave
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2017
    Next to all the other jobs I have in film music I also launched my own website!

My first review is of Rogue One for those we are interested:
    http://soundtrackworld.com/2017/01/rogue-one/

And since I think you guys are so awesome I included you in the links section of my page :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2017
    Caliburn wrote
    And since I think you guys are so awesome I included you in the links section of my page :-)

Aw! love
  8. Nice review. I had a similar reaction to Rogue One. I like your site!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    No.

Haha! My only dislike I can compare to is pantomime fake rock star Meatloaf. ( but I would go see him if he played Glastonbury wink )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Say what you will of Meatloaf's music, but he can put on a show!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Say what you will of Meatloaf's music, but he can put on a show!

For sure. Like I said, I'd go see him for free wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. It's operatic rock music. There are some fine songs. And the album "Bat Out Of Hell" is a masterpiece.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.