• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    People seem to confuse mickey-mousing with music that follows 'the action', but they really aren't the same thing.

Case in point: MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA. There is not a bit of mickey-mousing in the whole score, but the music does follow the action very closely, as in just about every non-atmosphere focused Williams score. Mickey-mousing is very rare these days, precisely because it only works when there's nothing better for the music to do than serve as musical sound effects (ie when the physical is all that matters), and the film won't suffer from seeming a bit comic. It got linked with animation from very early in sound cinema (as the name indicates, though in the forties it was described as 'Disney scoring') because experiments with it in serious live action (mostly by Steiner) drew such ire from film-makers and critics alike.

Just trying to think of live-action examples off the top of my head... Southall suggested 101 DALMATIONS... In the first PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, Jack Sparrow's drunken steps are mimiced in the music. In DOOR IN THE FLOOR, there's a moment when the composer deliberately mocks the Jeff Bridges character with mickey-mousing. David Newman scores have a bit. LEMONY SNICKET too. The flute-bird music in PRISONER OF AZKABAN. It's used, but its pretty rare.

What he said.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008
    http://www.soundtrack.net/news/article/?id=1171

On April 29th, iTunes will release the end credits overture from "Cloverfield" by Michael Giacchino. For the first time, the full length orchestral piece, entitled "ROAR!", will be available exclusively from iTunes paralleling the release of the film for download.

Giacchino's "ROAR!" showcases an epic monster movie style, one that captivated audience members throughout the end credits. The film version of "ROAR!" totaled 9:45. The iTunes release finally makes available the full length, unedited piece that runs 12:15.

About the film
    "Cloverfield" released theatrically on January 18, 2008. Directed by Matt Reeves, produced by J.J. Abrams and Bryan Burk, and written by Drew Goddard, it stars Lizzy Caplan, T.J. Miller, Michael Stahl-David, Odette Yustman and Jessica Lucas. The film follows five young New Yorkers who throw their friend a going-away party on the same night a gigantic monster attacks the city. The film broke box office records on its opening weekend, totaling over $40 million.

About Michael Giacchino
    Michael Giacchino recently garnered an Academy Award nomination, and won a Grammy for his score for Pixar's "Ratatouille". His previous film scores include "Mission Impossible III", "The Family Stone" and Pixar's "The Incredibles." His work has been enjoyed on television in the shows Alias and LOST, for which he won an Emmy in 2006. In addition to film and television work, he is well known for his scores for video games such as "Medal of Honor", "Call of Duty", and Steven Spielberg's "Lost World."
    Upcoming projects include May's release of The Wachowski Brothers' "Speed Racer" and "Star Trek" directed by JJ Abrams.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008
    I don't feel I should be first to go ''yay'' on this as I'm not exactly a fan of Roar, so I'll leave that to someone else. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    I don't feel I should be first to go ''yay'' on this as I'm not exactly a fan of Roar, so I'll leave that to someone else. wink

It's derivitively brilliant IMO! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Any word about whether and when this will be available at the international iTunes stores?

(I´ll wait with my 'yay' til then)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008
    Third time I've seen the episode, but the first I've noticed the use of a French Horn in "A Tale Of Two Cities". Has anyone else noticed this? It's a very interesting addition to the Lost soundscape, but I think it's the only appearance the horn makes...

Any other interesting instrumentation easter eggs in other episodes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008 edited
    Please, if possible, no spoilers. As long as you keep strictly to the music, I´m okay with it, but please be cautious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008
    We keep those to the Lost thread. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008
    Looks like they didn't release Roar! on iTunes here in Europe. crazy
    Cookie monster
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Andy wrote

Technically you should already have it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008 edited
    Andy wrote

Who cares. It's going to be all over the internets anyway. rolleyes biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Can someone give me a basic review of the Ratatouille release? Good? Worth getting? Junk?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    bartley wrote
    Can someone give me a basic review of the Ratatouille release? Good? Worth getting? Junk?

Watch the movie first, then buy the soundtrack as soon a possible! It's quite possibly my favourite Giacchino score. Charming is one word that describes it well. Very charming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    I've seen the film. Just wonder how much of the stuff in the film made the cut.. for the CD. All of it?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Everything you remember. wink

Seriously, it's a very well put together CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Awsome. I was hoping -- and now i know it is!
    Thanks guys.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Here's an emergency list of what to do when you're unsure whether to buy a Giacchino score:

1. Buy the Giacchino score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Everything you remember. wink

Seriously, it's a very well put together CD.

Indeed. If you liked the music in the movie, you'll definitely love the very well-put together, faithful to the actual soundtrack and coherent a musical experience that is the official score CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    So I got Lost 3 and Speed Racer today tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DEJA VU!

I had a dream where you said that.

What the hell?! dizzy beer

Give me Lost!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And what cue is ''The Island'' exactly? confused lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Anthony wrote
    And what cue is ''The Island'' exactly? confused lick

It's taken from the 3rd episode "Further Instructions" but don't ask me where exactly it comes from because I don't remember that episode in regards of the music anymore.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008 edited
    Is it a weird percussion cue with a grand (but strange) version of Locke's theme towards the end? I believe it opens with a little motif on the harp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Anthony wrote
    Is it a weird percussion cue with a grand (but strange) version of Locke's theme towards the end? I believe it opens with a little motif on the harp.

Yes that it is!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008 edited
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kiss punk beer kiss punk beer biggrin biggrin

I cannot WAIT for this!!! punk
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008 edited
    Most of you seemed to dislike the Speed Racer complete music on that website sample. If you've listened to the regular release, what is your opinion about it now? By the way, I didn't hear all of the 2 hours online, but I liked what I heard.

And is this the best Lost release yet?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008
    There's no doubt an arranged CD release of Speed Racer will be a lot easier (and I assume a lot more enjoyable) to listen to rather than a full on complete (where not all the music is album material). And with 2 and a half hours of Lost music, from the best season, this sounds like it's going to be the best damn release Varese have put out in ages! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2008
    I'm avoiding the Lost thread until the season ends (as most people are now 2 weeks ahead of the UK!), but I won't put any spoilers in here (and I'm only talking about the music).

Question however - in the very first scene of ''Every Man For Himself'' where Desmond is sitting on the beach, there's some very eerie and mysterious music that sounds like it's been electronically processed (but still orchestra). Does anyone have any more info on this, or is it just some very weird percussion? I didn't think electronics were used in Lost apart from in the opening scene of the pilot (and the other occasions that cue is used).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2008
    Which episode is that in 4xe04-isms?