• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2008
    3.04. wink
  1. I've added the cue ROAR of Michael Giacchino on the 2 trailers of Cloverfield, just to see how it would fit. And even though the movie worked superbly without music, I must say it does work superbly inside the trailer, it's 20 mb of pure joy wink

http://rapidshare.com/files/112546059/C … d.wmv.html
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2008
    That might be quite a fun thing to do - score Cloverfield! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2008
    Anthony wanted to write a review of LOST Season 3 (his cd arrived already goddamned!!!) for maintitles.net and so here we have his first review!

LOST (Season 3)
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/lost-season-3/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2008 edited
    Good job Anthony. beer

The second disc is less user-friendly, and it seems like it’s been tacked on for the hardcore fans

Just like Secret Weapons Over Normandy.
    This is where a tracklisting along with those "Excellent Track" tags comes mighty handy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not a fan of both... As I said, I do believe there could be much more melody in the score. When it's good, it's great and those are the Schifrin variations in the whole Rome sequence, because of the meter changes mostly, though (from 5/4 to 7/8 - just amazing idea), later it is nothing more than more apocalyptic version of Lost for higher ensemble, where it could be much less serious and actually melodic, which is a dying art in action music of today.

There is quite a bit of melody... and Giacchino is very melodic in his action writing or at least containing a recognizable motif.

There is a variation on The Plot melody in "Factory Rescue" And then Giacchino introduced his own about half way through.

That melody gets a kick ass workout in "Evacuation" Listen to the trumpets. I love that melody.

What about the heartbreaking horn melody in "Special Agent Lindsey Farris" Which then moves to piano and harp. Yes, the long sustained string note is right out of LOST... but then picks up the melody as the piece finishes.

IMF Escape contains the new IMF theme which is littered throughout the entire score.

And there is wicked "statement and echo" motif in "Hunting For Jules" which easily one of the greatest up tempo pieces Michael has ever written. I love whistling along with that piece whether whistling the statement or the echo. Absolutely incredible action piece.

As for the film... well, it's 10 million times better than that piece of trash John Woo put together.

-Erik-

I totally agree, John Woo is seriously overestimated. I admit his old Hong Kong work was nice; Hard Boiled, A Better Tomorrow... however if you bring this Hong Kong style to the West, it looks somehow way over-the-top and plain stupid.

btw. I actually liked the lastest installment of MI. The best in the series.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  2. Sylvos wrote
    Good job Anthony. beer

The second disc is less user-friendly, and it seems like it’s been tacked on for the hardcore fans

Just like Secret Weapons Over Normandy.
    This is where a tracklisting along with those "Excellent Track" tags comes mighty handy.

You hear that Bregt? We need Excellent Track titles tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008
    No we don't. rolleyes cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    So, the music of Lost was performed by Hollywood Studio Symphony? I remember I heard Giacchino saying that he tends to work with the same group of musicians on almost all projects. I remember these people used to be The Northwest Symphony Orchestra, how come HS is credited for this?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Because when he says ''almost all projects'' he is refering to the HSS. The ones that aren't included (Mercenaries, SWON) were the NSO. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Because when he says ''almost all projects'' he is refering to the HSS. The ones that aren't included (Mercenaries, SWON) were the NSO. tongue wink

Performed by the Northwest Sinfornia --> All of his video game work up until Call of Duty.

The Hollywood Symphony has performed all of... or at least 99% of everything Giacchino has written from Call of Duty to the present except for Roar! which was performed by The Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008
    Hmmm.

Speed Racer.

Made me spasm.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote
    Hmmm.

Speed Racer.

Made me spasm.

I don't like it very much tbh.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I think it is very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Anthony wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Hmmm.

Speed Racer.

Made me spasm.

I don't like it very much tbh.

That's what I meant as well.
    I don't remember spasm was a good word... wink

Anyway, just not my type of score. It's like MI3 but then spasmistified 10 000 times. It makes me go sick and it spins my head around.

It evokes excorcism.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Advice: Don't see the film. The racing stuff is cool, but other than that it's totally shallow, and they dress up a poor monkey in a hat. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    Panthera wrote
    I think it is very good.

Same here.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    http://scoringsessions.com/sessions/ima … c_9626.jpg

BOW.

(if you didn't realize it yet, apart from getting excited by the photos, i am trying to direct everyone to the excellent photo article by Dan Goldwasser on Varese Sarabande's 30th Anniversary Celebration (2008) over at http://scoringsessions.com/sessions/29800/)
  3. Talos wrote

btw. I actually liked the lastest installment of MI. The best in the series.

They say finding a reviewer you disagree with in every sense is just as good as finding someone you agree with in every sense. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree with Talos. I disagree with Michael then wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony

A Speed Racer t-shirt too! How appropriate! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008
    Read this in the Thomas Newman thread:

justin boggan wrote
    From Pixar:

Oh, and as with most films these days, Wall-E's music is being recorded "to disk" instead of "to tape" (Ratatouille was actually done to analog tape instead of disk because of the composer's fondness for old analog sound).

Does anyone know if Giacchino records all his scores this way? If so, that's awesome. I much prefer the analog sound over digital. Now whether that's because analogue actually sounds better or it's because recorders and mixers just aren't that good anymore is something I don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David wrote
    Read this in the Thomas Newman thread:

justin boggan wrote
    From Pixar:

Oh, and as with most films these days, Wall-E's music is being recorded "to disk" instead of "to tape" (Ratatouille was actually done to analog tape instead of disk because of the composer's fondness for old analog sound).

Does anyone know if Giacchino records all his scores this way? If so, that's awesome. I much prefer the analog sound over digital. Now whether that's because analogue actually sounds better or it's because recorders and mixers just aren't that good anymore is something I don't know.

No... he doesn't do it all the time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Haha, this argument again (I had this with Erik a while ago). I swear Giacchino has said he has recorded all of his major scores in analog, apart from Speed Racer! tongue biggrin

Have you asked him yet though Erik?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Awesome news!

Michael Giacchino: Land of the Lost

Universal Pictures has finally confirmed to Upcoming Film Scores that Michael Giacchino has been signed to score Land of the Lost, the studio's sci-fi adventure which is based on the 1970s live-action show by Sid and Marty Krofft. Will Ferrell, Anna Friel and Danny R. McBride play the main characters, who discover a mysterious land populated by dinosaurs and other creatures

More info at:
    http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … -lost.html
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Huzzah.

But I thought this was confirmed ages ago? dizzy tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Huzzah.

Indeed! Old news D slant wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'm glad this thread re-appeared because I thought I was going to have to search for it.

I watched the first part of the 3 part season finale of Lost last night, and I have one word...

MONTAGES!

After a whole season practically without them, there are 2 in the same episode, and they feature some of the most beautiful music Giacchino has ever written. Like, seriously. smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008 edited
    Travelling to the Black Rock, the finale scene where people are boarding the plane...and what's the other one? When they leave on the raft?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Huzzah.

Yes it was.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … 420#Item_6

wink

-Erik-