• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Truly a great modern composer.

I hate to pigeonhole him against another composer, but I genuinely believe he's the next John Williams.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

I hate to pigeonhole him against another composer, but I genuinely believe he's the next John Williams.

You could well be right. Hate to say it but Williams can't work forever and Giacchino has the chops to fill his shoes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

You could well be right. Hate to say it but Williams can't work forever and Giacchino has the chops to fill his shoes.

I agree! Williams is a great composer, but as you said, he can't work (and live) forever, and I do think it's pretty likely Giacchino will come out as the composer of the 21st century.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008 edited
    That's a pretty bold prediction! They are enormous shoes to fill. No other American film composer has ever stretched into a non-film music audience quite like Williams and at the moment I can't believe one ever will. If anything then Giacchino might be more likely to be more like Goldsmith, ie beloved within our small community but for all his brilliance, barely-known outside it. He's got one hell of a long way to go before we can start comparing him with either Williams or Goldsmith though, however promising the start to his career has been (to put it in context, by the time Goldsmith was 40 - which is Giacchino's current age - he had written Lonely Are the Brave, Lilies of the Field, Rio Conchos, A Patch of Blue, The Blue Max, The Sand Pebbles, Planet of the Apes and The Illustrated Man - demonstrating a huge range, and a boldness to try applying music to films in a way that nobody had ever tried before - films and filmmakers were different then which arguably made it easier to do so, but even so... quite a difference)
  1. Actually most of the great film composers had already written some of their finest score before they were as old as Giacchino is now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Antineutrino wrote
    Actually most of the great film composers had already written some of their finest score before they were as old as Giacchino is now.

But that doesn't mean Giacchino can't get better and still write a masterpiece or two in the near future...
  2. Just wanted to point out that younger composers often are too much hyped. Remember what scores composers like Goldsmith, Horner or Barry had written at this age.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Antineutrino wrote
    Just wanted to point out that younger composers often are too much hyped. Remember what scores composers like Goldsmith, Horner or Barry had written at this age.

True, but remember, the 21st century is a fresh start. After John Williams is gone, we'll have a bunch of young composers trying to stake their claim at the top. Giacchino is just one of the likely contestants, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Frankly, i don't see anyone else capable of fitting those shoes, today.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Me neither. Giacchino is very, very, very, very good, but no one comes close to John Williams...not even the guys that purely "sound" like Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And a cautionary tale... several other composers have been hailed as the "next John Williams" over the past 10-15 years. It was a label applied to John Debney (seems amazing to believe today!) at one stage, and also to Joel McNeely.

Frankly I think Giacchino is the best of the younger American film composers and I'm sure he has a really bright future ahead of him, but he has a long, long way to go even before he catches up the "next tier", people like Horner and Elfman, let alone Williams.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I wonder how and why Williams is just classed as THE best. Sure, he did Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Jaws, E.T, Superman etc., but it's got to be more than just being "good" to come up with all that. How many other composers have come up with this much and had it remembered?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    I wonder how and why Williams is just classed as THE best. Sure, he did Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Jaws, E.T, Superman etc., but it's got to be more than just being "good" to come up with all that. How many other composers have come up with this much and had it remembered?

I think it's a combination of him being brilliant, and a very lucky encounter he had with Steven Spielberg! Being in that right place at the right time led to everything for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote

I think that's just due to the fact that he's made so many winners. It's not like you can mention too many of the films he's scored and actually mention one that nearly no one has ever heard of. He's just managed to score some of the most memorable films ever made. But I also have wondered that before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote

I think it's a combination of him being brilliant, and a very lucky encounter he had with Steven Spielberg! Being in that right place at the right time led to everything for him.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. It seems like he has just somehow managed to get jobs scoring all the right films. I wonder if he ever guessed he'd be as famous as he is now...
  3. Yes, he somehow managed to avoid much of drivel, Goldsmith is so renowned for and hell - look at Morricone - he did more drivel than Williams too - both filmwise.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

True... I wouldn't be surprised if he really is called the "John Williams of today" some day wink He definitely has the potential.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

True... I wouldn't be surprised if he really is called the "John Williams of today" some day wink He definitely has the potential.

Spielberg even called him the next Johnny Williams.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008 edited
    For me, Frederic Talgorn is the next John Williams. Sadly he has not been so lucky to have established a fruitfull relationship with a famour director, like Spielberg. He is very good, its a real shame actually... other lesser "composers" get more work than him. I don't get it...
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Spielberg even called him the next Johnny Williams.

-Erik-

And it clearly can write in a similar fashion when required to.

I mean compare "The German Sub - To The Nazi Hideout" with "The U-Boat". It's meant to be the same, but rather than coming accross as a stupid knock-off, it sounds the same! smile

But then again, you don't need to sound like John Williams to be good. And even if Giacchino doesn't reach the level that Williams has, who cares? He's given us Lost! wink
  4. Let's hope Giacchino will continue to get the good scoring jobs and not end up like David Arnold, who we all knew started out with a bang but has his output seen diminished in quality by simply not being asked to write big stuff anymore. Luckily for us Giacchino still gets enough kick ass projects sent his way.

I too think out of all the newer composers Giacchino may be the only one that can step up to the maestro and one day take his place. His sound is already remarkable and memorable enough to warrant him a place up there in the future.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Let's hope Giacchino will continue to get the good scoring jobs and not end up like David Arnold, who we all knew started out with a bang but has his output seen diminished in quality by simply not being asked to write big stuff anymore. Luckily for us Giacchino still gets enough kick ass projects sent his way.

I too think out of all the newer composers Giacchino may be the only one that can step up to the maestro and one day take his place. His sound is already remarkable and memorable enough to warrant him a place up there in the future.

I agree! And it's sad about David Arnold. Such a talented composer...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Southall wrote
    And a cautionary tale... several other composers have been hailed as the "next John Williams" over the past 10-15 years. It was a label applied to John Debney (seems amazing to believe today!) at one stage, and also to Joel McNeely.

Frankly I think Giacchino is the best of the younger American film composers and I'm sure he has a really bright future ahead of him, but he has a long, long way to go even before he catches up the "next tier", people like Horner and Elfman, let alone Williams.

You have a way of putting things in to perspective James.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    DreamTheater wrote
    Let's hope Giacchino will continue to get the good scoring jobs and not end up like David Arnold, who we all knew started out with a bang but has his output seen diminished in quality by simply not being asked to write big stuff anymore. Luckily for us Giacchino still gets enough kick ass projects sent his way.

Yeah! But luckily Arnold now has Narnia 3 in his pocket and if he does well it might boost his project offers too! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I want Giacchino to do more other movies. Something different from the stupid action movies he has done so far. Or something else than the animated movies. He needs a drama!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    I want Giacchino to do more other movies. Something different from the stupid action movies he has done so far. Or something else than the animated movies. He needs a drama!

Couldn't agree more. Imagine Ciacchino on UNITED 93!
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    I've only listened to MI III , and that score is really average for me. The old theme is recycled in an uninspired way, he tries to make an exciting score but delivers instead a boring score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mmmkayy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    Certainly not a boring score, but I can see why it may not be everyone's cup o' tea. It's very raw. It's like Lost on speed, and the recording is very much a Wallin recording. Personally, I love it, and Wallin's recording actually gives it a raw quality that works in its favour at times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

Couldn't agree more. Imagine Ciacchino on UNITED 93!

Nah, I'm sure he would produce a fitting end titles piece in honor of those who died, but the rest would have been very low-key and not something I would want to listen to that often. I think Bregt means a drama film where Giacchino could write a score purely focused on story and character, which Ratatouille is. (Just not an animated one.)