• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009
    Let's do it then!

I'm definitely coming. I assume Marcel and Jordi are as well? D, Bregt? We'll plan it well this year! See if we can all agree on the same hotel, meet up in the bar every night, have some drinks, get a group of seats at the concert...

TO THE ORGANISATIONWAGON!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin punk cool

Alan perhaps as well?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Let's do it then!

I'm definitely coming. I assume Marcel and Jordi are as well? D, Bregt? We'll plan it well this year! See if we can all agree on the same hotel, meet up in the bar every night, have some drinks, get a group of seats at the concert...

Nice! beer lick
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Thinking of joining, indeed. And Giacchino is definitely a great thing. A bit low on the money this month, but shit, this is tempting.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Anthony wrote
    Let's do it then!

Continues here: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … beda-2009/
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2009
    Well it's the Oscars tonight! I wonder what Giacchino has in store for us.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2009 edited
    I cannot for the life of me work out how to do these scoring session pages properly. I've got a mental block on how to make them look good and to still load quickly with tons of images. crazy cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2009 edited
    SciFi Now's Interview with Giacchno discussing his score to Star Trek

SCAN OF THE ARTICLE
    http://s592.photobucket.com/albums/tt8/ … mg049j.jpg

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    SciFi Now's Interview with Giacchno discussing his score to Star Trek

SCAN OF THE ARTICLE
    http://s592.photobucket.com/albums/tt8/ … mg049j.jpg

-Erik-

Interesting read. Thanks Erik.

So, there's not much - if any - Goldsmith reference but reference, where it is required, to Alexander Courage's original Star Trek theme? That sounds good to me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009
    Here's the brand new Star Trek trailer:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/05/new … more-21779

The thing I'm wondering is, is that music from the score? The blogger seems to think so, but I'm not sure. Can anyone verify?
  3. If that was music from the score, I´m in heaven.

And I know a couple of guys who aint.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    If that was music from the score, I´m in heaven.

And I know a couple of guys who aint.

If that was Giacchino, I am OUT OF HERE. It can't have been though. That sounded like MV/trailer music junk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think that's Giacchino! Does sountrack.net/trailers have anything about it?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. I don´t THINK it either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But..you...wish? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009 edited
    You bet I wish.

You know I like both classical and Zimmerical scoring, but the god of Trek-scoring is gone, and as I said a couple of months ago, I don´t think the "dry" sound of Giacchino´s recordings fits with a space opera movie. Giacchino always sounds as if recorded in my living room, but Star Trek needs to sound like it had been recorded in a cathedral, you know what I mean?

I think Giacchino could write something great, but will it sound great? That´s what I´m afraid about.

The music in the trailer is totally different from everything we´ve heard before, regarding to Trek, and I would just love to see how a Trek movie done MV style would rock. It´s the same kind of fascination I would have for a Potter / MV movie, or a LotR / MV movie, I would LOVE to see such a thing, just to see how it feels. I KNOW of course, that most people here would consider Potter or LotR done MV style a serious sacrilege, and I can totally see why. I am quite happy that LotR was scored the way it was, but I would love to see a different approach just for the sheer fun of it.

Regarding to Trek, I´m okay with Giacchino not using Goldsmith stuff, but I have no idea what will be there instead, and since I know Giacchino´s style, I´m still holding my breath.

But damn, even if it was just for the trailer, I thought the MV music gave it a fantastic epical feeling. It worked for me. I know why it doesn´t work for others.
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    DELETE
    • CommentAuthorWDWGuy08
    EnemyToo wrote

The thing I'm wondering is, is that music from the score? The blogger seems to think so, but I'm not sure. Can anyone verify?

the music is by two steps from hell
    www.twostepsfromhell.com
    the track is entitled "freedom fighters"

it is production music and is not available to purchase.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    FRAKKING HELL!

Watch it in HD and still tell me the music is shit:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

EDIT: Okay, thanks for the info on the Trailer. A shame it´s not Giacchino, because ... I just visited the Official Site. That´s Giacchino´s music there for sure. And AGAIN that crappy living room sound, I can´t believe it. Now I WISH those trailer guys would have been hired for the whole movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    But damn, even if it was just for the trailer, I thought the MV music gave it a fantastic epical feeling. It worked for me. I know why it doesn´t work for others.

I never like film music that I think I could have written better myself, given half an hour or so... so many modern films suffer from that God-awful dreck, it's worth celebrating the fact that at least a few manage to creep through without the MV sound. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

I never like film music that I think I could have written better myself, given half an hour or so...

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    This is no longer about style, it´s about the sound of it.

This movie´s music should enhance the Final Frontier feeling, and you can say what you want about the trailer music, but with my two tiny little monitor speakers, I feel like entering space while watching the trailer.

Giacchino´s music on the home page feels as if I had not even speakers, and frankly, it doesn´t sound any different from a day on that island, too. It´s TV mode, and it sounds dry enough to suck up the whole ocean and everyone of the Losties could actually WALK home. Someone should have told Giacchino or his sound guy that we´re IN FRAKKING SPACE NOW!!!

Yes, I know what I chose for my signature. But you all know that it doesn´t take a lot to impress me, and if I say that this dry sound could actually ruin what looks like a perfect Trek movie for me, it means that I´m really not liking this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    NO. PLEASE.

GIACCHINO doing this crap for Star Trek will be the end of it all. Why do you want more of it, Ralph? Isn't the amount of movies being scored as such enough already? (i.e. 80% of current-day hollywood output)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Although I don´t agree with D´s statement ("Isn't the amount of movies being scored as such enough already?") I do agree that Giacchino has to score it the way he´s been scoring his projects, I mean with his own voice and skill. I can´t imagine Giacchino doing Star Trek as if he was Djawadi, or with Jablonsky´s bold anthems (which I love by the way). Just imagine how would sound Medal of Honor in space wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What is that with which you'd disagree? the exact amount i typed in?
  5. Ehm ... I am not sure that you got everything right ...

Yes, I like the music from the trailer, but that´s not Giacchino´s. I´m talking about his music on the new Star Trek homepage. It is his usual style. I would be okay with it (maybe), if he would just change the sound of it.

I´m talking about more echoes, for a lack of better words. It all sounds dry, there´s no hall there. Star Trek music has to sound like being recorded in a cathedral. What Giacchino recorded for the homepage sounds as if it was recorded in a coffin two yards below the surface of the earth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    If that was music from the score, I´m in heaven.

Thanks Christ it's not Giacchino!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    WDWGuy08 wrote
    EnemyToo wrote

the music is by two steps from hell
    www.twostepsfromhell.com
    the track is entitled "freedom fighters"

it is production music and is not available to purchase.

vomit

-Erik-
  6. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Ehm ... I am not sure that you got everything right ...

Yes, I like the music from the trailer, but that´s not Giacchino´s. I´m talking about his music on the new Star Trek homepage. It is his usual style. I would be okay with it (maybe), if he would just change the sound of it.

I´m talking about more echoes, for a lack of better words. It all sounds dry, there´s no hall there. Star Trek music has to sound like being recorded in a cathedral. What Giacchino recorded for the homepage sounds as if it was recorded in a coffin two yards below the surface of the earth.

Dan Wallin? bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website