• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You bet I wish.

You know I like both classical and Zimmerical scoring, but the god of Trek-scoring is gone, and as I said a couple of months ago, I don´t think the "dry" sound of Giacchino´s recordings fits with a space opera movie. Giacchino always sounds as if recorded in my living room, but Star Trek needs to sound like it had been recorded in a cathedral, you know what I mean?

BTW, the guy who will be recording or has already recorded Giacchino score was the one that recorded the second best Star Trek score of all time... The Wrath of Khan. While I agree that Dan Wallin is not the best of the best and I loath a lot of his work with Giacchino I think he will open up the room a bit when it comes down to recording and mixing this new score. He has done it before...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Wallin recorded Horner's work?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Wallin recorded Horner's work?

Horner's two scores AND Rosenthal's Voyage Home.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    What Giacchino recorded for the homepage sounds as if it was recorded in a coffin two yards below the surface of the earth.

Dood... you are listening to a low quality mono mix for the web site. You can make a judgment like that based on such a low quality file.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, the guy who will be recording or has already recorded Giacchino score was the one that recorded the second best Star Trek score of all time... The Wrath of Khan.

Interesting. Then I am not halluzinating things, because I always thought that one sounded too dry either. But it was a fantastic composition, which made it rule nevertheless. I´m not sure Giacchino is up to writing stuff that´s as good as this, but until further notice, I´ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

On a side-note, nice vomiting, Erik. I see you´re back to carefully constructed critizism. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You bet I wish.

You know I like both classical and Zimmerical scoring, but the god of Trek-scoring is gone, and as I said a couple of months ago, I don´t think the "dry" sound of Giacchino´s recordings fits with a space opera movie. Giacchino always sounds as if recorded in my living room, but Star Trek needs to sound like it had been recorded in a cathedral, you know what I mean?

I've not listened to any of the clips and I have no interest in listening to the music until it's released on CD... but I definitely agree with that! A Mission Impossible III score is not what I'm hoping for. But I have a lot of faith in Giacchino, and even if he does opt for that sound, I'm sure it will work well for the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    But it was a fantastic composition, which made it rule nevertheless. I´m not sure Giacchino is up to writing stuff that´s as good as this, but until further notice, I´ll give him the befit of the doubt.

Well, that's good because so far he has most definately demostrated the ability to write scores just as good as Wrath of Khan. I would like you to revist his video game scoring for examples.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    On a side-note, nice vomiting, Erik. I see you´re back to carefully constructed critizism. wink

Well, when something makes me physically ill... Tomatoes, Cantaloupe, Canned Green Beans, Rosanne Barr and Hans Zimmer... and usually spew! vomit The Star Trek trailer music is some of the most generic MV inspired garbage I've ever heard!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You bet I wish.

I've not listened to any of the clips and I have no interest in listening to the music until it's released on CD... but I definitely agree with that! A Mission Impossible III score is not what I'm hoping for. But I have a lot of faith in Giacchino, and even if he does opt for that sound, I'm sure it will work well for the movie.

What I would love to hear is something along the lines of "Peenamunde" from SWON.

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Well, that's good because so far he has most definately demostrated the ability to write scores just as good as Wrath of Khan. I would like you to revist his video game scoring for examples.

Yeah, the Medal of Honor stuff certainly comes to mind. You´re right there. But the stuff on the homepage wasn´t too convincing, beside the dull sound.

The Star Trek trailer music is some of the most generic MV inspired garbage I've ever heard!

Strange how that garbage still manages to excite some people, isn´t it? I mean, I don´t get it either; it´s the same repetitive tune, again and again, mixed with choir, drums, and stuff, and STILL I get goosebumps every time it starts again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Yeah, the Medal of Honor stuff certainly comes to mind. You´re right there. But the stuff on the homepage wasn´t too convincing, beside the dull sound.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the stuff on the web site either.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Star Trek trailer music is some of the most generic MV inspired garbage I've ever heard!

Strange how that garbage still manages to excite some people, isn´t it? I mean, I don´t get it either; it´s the same repetitive tune, again and again, mixed with choir, drums, and stuff, and STILL I get goosebumps every time it starts again.

Cool... and I'm glad you like it but it's not for me.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the stuff on the web site either.

Okay then. I mean it´s not that I don´t HOPE he´ll write great stuff. I´m as eager for a great orchestral score as you are. It´s just that I could live with an MV score, too. wink

I'm glad you like it but it's not for me.

I´m glad I like it, too. That way really makes me WANT to see that movie very much, and I wanted to want to see that movie. If you get what I mean. I haven´t been so excited about a movie since The Fellowship of the Ring, so at least they can give me a decent trailer! biggrin

Do you at least like what you see, then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Do you at least like what you see, then?

Not a fan of the patented Abrams TV styled hand held close up shots. And the ship looks WAY too modern. Can't say I'm pleased with some of Kirk's dialogue and delivery. Not sure if I'm going to get use to some one other than Shatner playing James T. And was that Sulu doing some kung-fu in one of the shots?

Anyway, the special effects look fine. Let's hope the battle scenes rival Wrath of Khan.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    Not a fan of the patented Abrams TV styled hand held close up shots.

Okay.

And the ship looks WAY too modern.

I found it strange how they combined the movie saucer with a complete new design for the rest, but they say the different design is explained by the movie´s story, and I get used to it the more I see of the new ship. I love the debris field shot.

Can't say I'm pleased with some of Kirk's dialogue and delivery. Not sure if I'm going to get use to some one other than Shatner playing James T.

Well, the attitude seems right. wink

And was that Sulu doing some kung-fu in one of the shots?

He´s using a katana, which is allright, since Takei did a sword fight in classic too. I like it.

Anyway, the special effects look fine.

I think they look spectacular. But that´s a given these days.

Let's hope the battle scenes rival Wrath of Khan.

I doubt they will do tactical stuff like that, but Orci mentioned how they liked that aspect of Khan very much and how they would try to incorporate three-dimensional thinking into this one. So maybe we´re lucky.

I have to go now. Have fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, I will say that I'm really looking forward to the movie. I love Star Trek films... even the bad ones!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i'll admit that although i don't like how it sounds, it definitely LOOKS KILLER to me. punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    What I would love to hear is something along the line of "Peenamunde" from SWON.

-Erik-

That sums up all my hopes and wishes for this score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    What I would love to hear is something along the line of "Peenamunde" from SWON.

-Erik-

That sums up all my hopes and wishes for this score. cool

Now that you mention it, my favourite score by Giacchino.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I don´t know SWON, maybe I should change that? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Hell yes!

Have you heard anything from the score? If not, CHECK THIS OUT!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Thanks for the link. A shameless self-advertizer you are. Well done this video is. biggrin

You´re sure this is Giacchino? It sounds as if someone had asked John Williams to write something new in his late Seventies, early Eighties style.

Well, it´s not that I don´t like it, but this is not what I want to hear in a Star Trek movie. It lacks the scope and style that I connect with a space saga. As close as it is to Williams´ style, it wouldn´t even work for Star Wars. This is way too militaristic in a 20th century kind of way; way too american. I like it, but not as a Trek theme.

I can´t describe it, there is a certain quality to good space scores that Giacchino fails to deliver (in the stuff I know). I´m even more sceptic now than I was before.
  3. I think the preview looks great. It made me want to see the film way more than the first preview did. The battles look excellent. Kirk doesn't seem like Kirk to me. I think I'll have to think of this as more a reboot-the-series film than a prequel for me to take it seriously.

Erik, I don't own, nor have I ever heard, any of Giacchino's video game music. I checked Amazon and found that Mercenaries, MOH: Underground, and SWON are all available, as well as MP3 tracks from MOH, MOH: Allied Assault, MOH: Frontline, and MOH: Airborne. Where do you recommend that I start?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Hell yes!

-Erik-

KOKOZEDILITIS??!? YOU TOO?!?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Hell yes!

-Erik-

Where else would he have heard a full track from the score WITH superb video from the recording sessions? Huh... huh...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thanks for the link. A shameless self-advertizer you are. Well done this video is. biggrin

You´re sure this is Giacchino? It sounds as if someone had asked John Williams to write something new in his late Seventies, early Eighties style.

Well, it's more Ron Goodwin (with some Horner thrown in) but who's really keeping tabs on that...

wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Hell yes!

-Erik-

Where else would he have heard a full track from the score WITH superb video from the recording sessions? Huh... huh...

-Erik-

smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Hell yes!

-Erik-

-Erik-

smile

biggrin

I was just about to say Koko wouldn't approve.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    christopher wrote
    Erik, I don't own, nor have I ever heard, any of Giacchino's video game music. I checked Amazon and found that Mercenaries, MOH: Underground, and SWON are all available, as well as MP3 tracks from MOH, MOH: Allied Assault, MOH: Frontline, and MOH: Airborne. Where do you recommend that I start?

MOH > Underground > Frontline > SWON > Airborne
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    christopher wrote

MOH > Underground > Frontline > SWON > Airborne

Correction: MOH>SWON>Frontline>Underground>Airborne - also throw Black and Mercenaries in there because they sound just like Giacchino scores but with Chris Tilton's name on the front cover.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Airborne is what i love the most confused
  4. Thanks much!