• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I think part of the problem is that you need
    a) a massively beloved and successful movie or movie franchise that is considered to be cool
    b) a story that actually needs or at least flourishes on great score themes
    c) a composer who is able to compose these great themes

To be honest, the only possible upcoming candidate I can think of would be Star Trek. The Kirk & Spock era reboot idea is, without a doubt, cool enough to attract a very large audience. The story, atmosphere, and humour potential (and therefore the much needed coolness factor) is immense, it certainly supports great themes if done right, and Giacchino is probably able to make this reboot totally his own by composing something bigger than even Goldsmith did.
  2. damn, I just wanted to comment something smile
    Oh well Giacchino Rules wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Tommy_Boy wrote
    damn, I just wanted to comment something smile
    Oh well Giacchino Rules wink

Shameless attempt on the Top 10, isn´t it? wink
  4. hehe, it seems everyone is going for the top 10, why not me too? biggrin
  5. *grabs shield, unsheathes sword* Now thou shall return where thoust comest from!!! *strikes*
  6. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    *grabs shield, unsheathes sword* Now thou shall return where thoust comest from!!! *strikes*

Shameless attempt on the Top 8, isn´t it? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007 edited
    Well, I´m holding #8, and I doubt I will get Erik, though it was quite close until yesterday. So it will be between me and Falkirk next. But I guess he´ll get me sooner or later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Well, I´m holding #8, and I doubt I will get Erik, though it was quite close until yesterday. So it will be between me and Falkirk next. But I guess he´ll get me sooner or later.

biggrin

-Erik-

Oh wait... was that a cheap post to up my post count? MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

biggrin

-Erik-

Oh wait... was that a cheap post to up my post count? MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

oops, my fault, I touched the quote button by accident biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

biggrin

-Erik-

Sorry... i didn't hear you... could you repeat that?

-Erik-

biggrin
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

biggrin

-Erik-

-Erik-

biggrin

no problem, happy to repeat myself biggrin

oops, my fault, I touched the quote button by accident

very happy actually wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

biggrin

-Erik-

-Erik-

biggrin

no problem, happy to repeat myself biggrin

oops, my fault, I touched the quote button by accident

very happy actually wink

Thanks.

-Erik-
  9. You´re cheating!!! crazy
  10. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You´re cheating!!! crazy

sorry, I'll will not do it again

biggrin
  11. crazy crazy crazy
  12. don't worry, I'm outta here, gonna go watch me some Heroes episodes smile
    Thanks for the chat dudes, enjoyed myself wink
  13. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    biggrin

Stop it... I'm trying to catch you!

-Erik-
  14. I saw it! biggrin
  15. I love this forum biggrin
  16. PawelStroinski wrote
    biggrin

That was VERY cheap. And you´re doing it way too often. It´s too obvious. At least type something.
  17. Hey, Demetris can and I can't? biggrin
  18. I know how he got his #1. And it was not with Smileys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hey, Demetris can and I can't? biggrin

I said stop it! Now, go away! Quit following me!!!

-Erik-
  19. Now this gets dirty. Maybe we could open a thread in GAMES for this...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Now this gets dirty. Maybe we could open a thread in GAMES for this...?

Actually, we should stop. This happened once at scorereviews and Andy got pissed. I'm not sure who but someone went through all the threads and added a smiley face or something like that just to up his or her post count. It was silly. So, I think we need to get this Giacchino discussion back on track and NOT open a UP YOUR POST COUNT thread.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007 edited
    You could start by answering to my Star Trek suggestion...? smile

(And I agree to everything you said above. Silly idea. I just had in mind to get this stuff out of serious topics)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You could start by answering to my Star Trek suggestion...? smile

First of all, the film needs an overture or at least a classic main title so that Michael can establish his main theme right off the bat. Then, he has to go the Williams route and give our major characters (Kirk, Spock and Bones) themes or at least one, NEW, theme for the Enterprise (with Courage's fanfare) a la Goldsmith. Who ever the bad guys are... they too need a theme. If there is an epic battle a la Star Trek II then hearing the good guys theme battle the bad guys theme would be Scorgasmic!!!

SCORGASMIC I TELL YOU!!!

Michael's score is going to be spectacular!!!

-Erik-
  20. Again, I agree to everything. Themes for Kirk & Co. would be great. I bet there will be a Spock Theme at least, with all that stuff that´s going on there.

Do you have any other promising projects in mind which could present new ideas for epic/classical themes? Indiana Jones obviously, but anything else...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Again, I agree to everything. Themes for Kirk & Co. would be great. I bet there will be a Spock Theme at least, with all that stuff that´s going on there.

Do you have any other promising projects in mind which could present new ideas for epic/classical themes? Indiana Jones obviously, but anything else...?

Narnia could. But I haven't heard a real iconic theme from Gergson-Williams. I mean, he wrote some outstanding stuff in Sinbad but the film was such a flop. Gregson-Williams really has an oppourtunity to shine here, and while I really enjoyed the first film, I think he has to step it up for this next film. However, I will say that I'm truly excitied to see David Arnold on the third film.

We'll see what Randy Edelman can do with the third Mummy film. But it's a Mummy film. I mean, no matter how awesom Goldsmith and Silvestri's scores are only us film music geeks will ever consider those iconic or classics.

The Spiderwick Chronicles... maybe a chance to Horner to shine once again in the fantasy genre.

That's it!

I could say Batman (The Dark Knight)... but nothing is going to beat Elfman's original score and ICONIC theme!

-Erik-