• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009
    I just went to the (very nice looking) site of this upcoming movie and listened a few times to the background music on the mainpage. I quite like it, except the 'hip' beat later on. The music reminded me at first of the love theme of Krull somehow. It sounded like first part of the love theme, but then goes into another direction. (btw I adore Horner's Krull)

The newest trailer looks pretty slick! More energetic than the slow moving last few Trek movies. Khan rules btw.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    ps I think I can even get my wife with me to see this movie... hehe, as she doesn't really like the old Trek movies/series... but she always watched Enterprise. (don't know why, I think she liked Archer, T'Pol and the relationship between T'Pol and Trip) We were only very dissappointed with the final episode, that was a bore.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You´re sure this is Giacchino? It sounds as if someone had asked John Williams to write something new in his late Seventies, early Eighties style.

Well, it's more Ron Goodwin (with some Horner thrown in) but who's really keeping tabs on that...

Okay then; I must admit that I had to wiki Goodwin because he was totally under my radar. I LOVE that Miss Marple Theme, but I´ve never been into those Sixties war movies, which explains a lot of things now, but I would still prefer to get a Goldsmith style score instead of a Sixties war movie score. That kind of stuff worked in the TV series, but those were the Sixties. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You´re sure this is Giacchino? It sounds as if someone had asked John Williams to write something new in his late Seventies, early Eighties style.

Well, it's more Ron Goodwin (with some Horner thrown in) but who's really keeping tabs on that...

Okay then; I must admit that I had to wiki Goodwin because he was totally under my radar. I LOVE that Miss Marple Theme, but I´ve never been into those Sixties war movies, which explains a lot of things now, but I would still prefer to get a Goldsmith style score instead of a Sixties war movie score. That kind of stuff worked in the TV series, but those were the Sixties. wink

Oh man, how you are so wrong? Goodwin's scores are far more modern than you think. 633 Squadron, Battle of Britain, Where Eagles Dare, etc.

Check out this recording for some of finest performances of Goodwin's music you will ever hear.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Film-Music-Ron- … B00069DM7S

Back to the new Trek score... I'm not looking for sixty's style action score. What I would love Giacchino to do is to go back to a more pre-Lost era style of score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Agreed, his new stuff sounds incredibly dry. Not bad by any means, but all his current action music is very aggressive and violent and it seems the entire orchestra is being played like percussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Oh man, how you are so wrong? Goodwin's scores are far more modern than you think. 633 Squadron, Battle of Britain, Where Eagles Dare, etc.

Check out this recording for some of finest performances of Goodwin's music you will ever hear.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Film-Music-Ron- … B00069DM7S

Thanks for the link, but do you really consider this stuff to be modern? I listened to each and every sound example, and to me, this is - absolutely excellent, but - classic scoring from the time before I even started collecting (1980). Some of it reminded me more of Goldsmith´s war movie work (stuff like Patton, not Rambo, obviously), some of it was Williams in old-fashioned mode. So obviously Goodwin inspired a lot of people, but most of his stuff is seriously dated. I don´t mean it´s bad, it´s just classic, and would be of no use in most modern movies. Stuff like The London Marathon is very beautiful, but I would still date it as written long before my time.

Back to the new Trek score... I'm not looking for sixty's style action score. What I would love Giacchino to do is to go back to a more pre-Lost era style of score.

So what exactly are you looking for, now? If you are still referring to the SWON stuff, I disagree. MoH is not too different, as well. As long as we´re talking about orchestral scoring, I´m looking for stuff like Goldsmith´s Trek scores, a style Giacchino has yet to master. I´ll give M:I 3 a spin later, maybe some of it will help me imagine a brighter future. wink
  2. It's interesting this whole thing of a score sounding classical (rather than (a) classic). I don't know much about how it's done but I do think that there are film scores that sound like they were classical pieces of music - but that's not to say that they are old!

Classical scores maybe are distributed around the orchestra in a structure more akin to a classical symphony composition, or maybe they are more cohesive as a piece, more structured, flowing through the entire track/movement.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. WDWGuy08 wrote
    EnemyToo wrote
    Here's the brand new Star Trek trailer:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/03/05/new … more-21779

The thing I'm wondering is, is that music from the score? The blogger seems to think so, but I'm not sure. Can anyone verify?

the music is by two steps from hell
    www.twostepsfromhell.com
    the track is entitled "freedom fighters"

it is production music and is not available to purchase.

okay, this is what trailers should always look like. The music's awesome, the trailer looks damn brilliant and you finally have some emotional feeling for the movie as characters

I hope Giacchino's score is all that punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Am I the only one who thinks this trailer looks really awful?
  5. Antineutrino wrote
    Am I the only one who thinks this trailer looks really awful?

don't know, but it could be
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009 edited
    Could some please tell Mr. Abrams not to use shaky hand cameras?

Why want cinema directors have their films like video games? vomit
  6. Antineutrino wrote

because it enhances the effect that you're really experiencing it, like they do in video games
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

because it enhances the effect that you're really experiencing it, like they do in video games

vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

vomit

-Erik-

apparently it makes some people barf, and others not smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm very sensitive to shaky cam filming. Part of the reason I love Kubrick!
  8. Steven wrote
    I'm very sensitive to shaky cam filming. Part of the reason I love Kubrick!

or Shyamalan? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, big fan of Shyamalan actually! Not so much his script writing skills, but I certainly like his style of directing. Oh, and Sam Mendes too. wink
    • CommentAuthorantonios
    Steven i love Mendes too , i mean his work and his way of directing is amazing , as for Shymalan i have to agree too ! But i like screenplays too ! I mean the sixth sense was amazingly smart !
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    antonios wrote
    Steven i love Mendes too , i mean his work and his way of directing is amazing , as for Shymalan i have to agree too ! But i like screenplays too ! I mean the sixth sense was amazingly smart !

Ah, well yes. His Sixth Sense and Unbreakable scripts are very good! (Particularly the latter.)
  9. Steven wrote
    Yeah, big fan of Shyamalan actually! Not so much his script writing skills, but I certainly like his style of directing. Oh, and Sam Mendes too. wink

and like Shyamalan, Mendes uses indeed wide shots, slower movement of the camera than most directors, I can see why you like these wink
  10. What about Bergman then? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

Not a fan of the patented Abrams TV styled hand held close up shots. And the ship looks WAY too modern.

The battle scenes in Star Trek remind me an awful lot of the Star Wars prequels (Episodes I and III particularly) and Serenity.

One word to Abrams: Shaky-cam might work for some of your psuedo-realistic fare like Alias, Lost and Mission Impossible 3, but it probably won't work for Star Trek.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    SAM MENDES is such a talented film maker indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Road to Perdition is one of my favourite films. The scene in the rain [spoiler]where he shoots them all down[/spoiler], is beautiful, augmented with Newmans fantastic piece "Rain".
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Give me tracks, dollies, and tripods over hand held and over use of Steadicam anyday!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw, talking of SAM MENDES, i really like his work but something has kept me away from REVOLUTIONARY ROAD so far; i don't know what that is and although i Do want to watch it, i kept postponing it subconsciously thinking to myself that it won't be good; i don't know, maybe it's Kate Winslet whom i can't really stand.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Shakycam doesn't bother me, but it's very difficult to watch at the cinema on a big screen. When I'm watching stuff at home (the Bourne films, Cloverfield etc.) it's fine. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Btw, talking of SAM MENDES, i really like his work but something has kept me away from REVOLUTIONARY ROAD so far; i don't know what that is and although i Do want to watch it, i kept postponing it subconsciously thinking to myself that it won't be good; i don't know, maybe it's Kate Winslet whom i can't really stand.

This is probably not the right thread to talk about this... But, what the heck, I didn't start it wink. You might be put off Revolutionary Road a bit because it's no groundbreaking territory for Sam - he already addressed the thematics with American Beauty and this certainly misses the wit and iconic characters. However, although by no means a classic, it is a good quality drama that's at equal parts frustrating (in a meaningful way) and depressing (the ending is downright heartbreaking!). Oh, and Kate Winslet is superb! So, don't see it right now, but by all means, see it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2009
    Thanks Bob!