• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    Ah-ha! The secret is out. How Giacchino does that crazy string writing in Lost. Way over my head. I think I'll leave it to the professionals. dizzy

Half-step is pretty simple. It's basically the smallest interval between two notes, and trill is to shake the bow on a stringed instrument back and forth so it gives an 'uneasy' sound (listen to the strings in the opening moment of Chicken Run, I think that's trill strings if memory serves). So he chooses two notes one half-step apart and gets the string section/s to glide from one note to another which gives a great creepy, uneasy effect in the show.
  1. OK, so basically.

Think of a piano. When you play the piano there are the white and black keys. Half-step is between a white and black key or if there's no black key between - two black keys. B-C (or in German nomenclature, where B-flat is called B - H-C) are half-steps and E and E-flat are halfsteps too. Then he makes it go up.

Another important thing is the way the players PLAY the strings. It sounds so "glassy and scary and eerie", because they like push the strings close to the bridge (like in a guitar), so the performance gets more tense. In musical terms it's called sul ponticello.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Damn, Steven beat me to it lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2009 edited
    And use different angles and holdings for the bow. They also make use of smaller intervals than the usual tone and semitone of the western musical literature; they are the micro-spaces inbetween those that are metered in Hz and derive from the middle eastern, eastern and Byzantine musical literature, and later used in the 20th / 21st century musical mediums of the West.

Those smaller intervals can be used mainly empirically by the composer and players, in the form of glissandi (sliding notes) or momentary small jumps back and forth a central note.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Damn, Steven beat me to it lol

Nah, you and Demetris explained it infinitely better. I only know a little theory.. shame
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Woosh... spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Really? Damn, then you truly are Lost!

Har har har... rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ouch, I assume this is either bogus or we have another Danny Elfman on our hands.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ha, bullshit Giacchino "can't actually read or write music"! That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lol. Another Danny Elfman. Hilarious.
  3. Steven wrote
    Ha, bullshit Giacchino "can't actually read or write music"! That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. biggrin

Actually Elfman can't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2009 edited
    I never bought that crap for Elfman or for anyone else. They actually say that for Vangelis too. BS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote

Actually Elfman can't.

Oh God, not that again - the silliest of urban legends.

Let me make it perfectly clear: YES, DANNY ELFMAN CAN READ AND WRITE MUSIC! He has known that since the 70's.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009
    Where did that urban legend begin??
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Where did that urban legend begin??

A kind of snobbery that started because he was a pop musician who started writing film scores. It's funny to think in this age of Remote Control that it was once thought that if you weren't a fully-trained composer and conductor that you shouldn't be scoring films (now it sometimes seems that the reverse is true). I think he's said himself that when he first started, he needed help with how to write for an orchestra. I also think that the stuff he's been writing for the last decade or so shows that he has well and truly mastered it now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Word. Some people are obviously very stupid, in this world.
  4. Didn't Elfman actually say that he learnt notation few years ago "to make the process faster"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Didn't Elfman actually say that he learnt notation few years ago "to make the process faster"?

No, I'm afraid not, Pawel. You've probably misunderstood the quote, if there was indeed such a thing. Elfman learned notation in the 1970's while transcribing pieces by some of his favourites (Prokofiev, Duke Ellington etc.). He even has a "Piano Concerto No. 1 1/2" that was written in this period. However, as he was mostly self-taught, he found his first orchestral score (PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE) a daunting task - hence the help from his Boingo buddy and classically trained musician Steve Bartek. As the years went by, though, Bartek's involvement was more one of convenience (everyone needs an orchestrator, after all) and Elfman became just as fluent in musical writing and reading as an Alan Silvestri or James Horner or James Newton Howard. His "Serenada Schizophrana" is, I guess, the EPITOME of this development.

But as previously mentioned, his rock background was what probably created this urban legend in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sounds like snobbery and perhaps a little jealousy to me. There's no way around it in my mind; Danny Elfman is an extremely talented composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well no surprise. Among musicians and esp. composers, you'll find some of the most snobbish, full of complexes people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The rest is found on Message Boards.

angelic
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well no surprise. Among musicians and esp. composers, you'll find some of the most snobbish, full of complexes people.

There are many humble composers too I think. I know many of my favourite film composers certainly appear to be humble. (James Horner probably being the most notable exception.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    IF Danny Elfman had been parading around in the "kings new clothes" he'd have been found out years ago and you wouldn't now be seeing his name attatched to A-list films......simple as that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

There are many humble composers too I think. I know many of my favourite film composers certainly appear to be humble. (James Horner probably being the most notable exception.)

What? James "Prokofiev? Never heard of him!?" Horner not humble??? Perish the thought. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Most of my favourites certainly aren't humble! Not just Horner but Herrmann, Goldsmith, Morricone... not exactly models of humility. Perhaps the least humble was Leonard Rosenman?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Most of my favourites certainly aren't humble! Not just Horner but Herrmann, Goldsmith, Morricone... not exactly models of humility. Perhaps the least humble was Leonard Rosenman?

Well, they are all gods so.........
  5. Anthony wrote
    I'm going to try my darned hardest to get this Giacchino site up today. I've got LOADS (everything) to do for the features section and I haven't got a contact e-mail set up, and most of the pages are still unfinished.

For now though all the discography is done at www.michaelgiacchinomusic.com

I think this looks really great - quite distinctive and pleasing on the eye. Well done!

And, on the subject of Giacchino's music. One of the most distinctive passages I've heard in film/TV music over the last few years is what Michael did on Lost - Season 1. What is it exactly that he does with the music to get that really weird (cackling laugh) sound ~0:36 secs into "Getting Ethan"?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed. So who cares? Certainly not me!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Track Listing for Lost Season 4 accding to www.amazon.de:

1. Giving Up The Ghost
    2. Locke'ing Horns
    3. Lost Away - Or Is It?
    4. Backgammon Gambit
    5. Time And Time Again
    6. The Constant
    7. Maternity Hell
    8. Karma Jin-itiative
    9. Ji Yeon
    10. Michael's Right To Remain
    11. Bodies And Bungalows
    12. Benundrum
    13. Hostile Negotiations
    14. Locke-about
    15. There's No Place Like Home
    16. Nadia On Your Life
    17. C4-titude
    18. Of Mice And Ben
    19. Keamy Away From Him
    20. Timecrunch
    21. Can't Kill Keamy
    22. Bobbing For Freighters
    23. Locke Of The Island
    24. Lying For The Island
    25. Landing Party
    26. Hoffs-drawler

The Track titles certainly seem to be from a Lost-realise... ;-)

All best