• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Narnia could. But I haven't heard a real iconic theme from Gergson-Williams. I mean, he wrote some outstanding stuff in Sinbad but the film was such a flop. Gregson-Williams really has an oppourtunity to shine here, and while I really enjoyed the first film, I think he has to step it up for this next film.
    I doubt he could do it, too. I love his Narnia score very much, but it´s certainly not classical material. Maybe if he finds something really gorgeous for Caspian, but I don´t think so.

However, I will say that I'm truly excitied to see David Arnold on the third film.
    I like my franchises to have more continuity, and Arnold will certainly do things differently. He will write something very exciting, though. Possibly even a good new main theme, and Narnia is a quite large franchise with a massive audience, so it could be possible, but, on the other hand, Narnia is far from being "cool" enough with all that religious background discussion that´s going on.

We'll see what Randy Edelman can do with the third Mummy film. But it's a Mummy film. I mean, no matter how awesom Goldsmith and Silvestri's scores are only us film music geeks will ever consider those iconic or classics.
    Totally agree. And Edelman is neither Goldsmith nor Silvestri. I mean I love Dragonheart immensely, but that´s nowhere near iconic.

The Spiderwick Chronicles... maybe a chance to Horner to shine once again in the fantasy genre.
    You consider that to become a massive hit?

I could say Batman (The Dark Knight)...
    Oh, how much I would love Zimmer to develop his BB material into a full blown theme! Maybe... maybe...

but nothing is going to beat Elfman's original score and ICONIC theme!
    Probably.
  1. Oh, I´ve got one.

2. Erik Woods wrote

I could say Batman (The Dark Knight)... but nothing is going to beat Elfman's original score and ICONIC theme!

I must say though, while I really like Burton's film (a lot more than ANY Superman films), John Williams' main SUPERMAN concert suite just leaves about anything Elfman's ever written for dead, BATMAN included.

As to what film music people will be playing in concert halls in years to come... I think it will be those composers who invest more of their time in getting their film music into concert halls. There'll always be sellouts for Glass and Nyman - they're incredibly well-marketed in that field. (Glass comes up wit some inventive excuses for film music concerts - rescoring old silent films, for example.) There'll always be sellouts for Williams music, whether he's there or not. Same with Morricone. (But not Goldsmith. The films generally have to be icons, and he didn't have enough of the sort of films people remember now for their music.)

There'll always be sellouts for a Hitchcock retrospective concert, but you'd never push tickets for the same concert if you called it a Bernard Herrmann concert. You can sell Lord of the Rings at the moment - and I hope Shore produces a shorter version of his LOTR Symphony (a 40 minute suite of highlights), so that he can put stuff in from his other fine scores - Eastern Promises would be great in a concert hall with a good soloist. Debney's Passion Symphony would probably play to a packed house wherever it went. People like Tan Dun and John Corigliano spend most of their time pushing their wares to the concert hall crowd, so they can always sneak stuff from films in.

I wish concerts of modern program music would make a bit of a comeback. I know I prattle about Christopher Gordon a lot, but I think it's a shame that in his own country he can't get a slot with an orchestra to perform his elegiac suite from ON THE BEACH. (The same that played at Soncinemad.) It would be great to see a movement back to a kind of imagination-based musical storytelling like Rimsky-Korsakov's SCHEHEREZADE.

Has Giacchino ever done commissions for events? Had music performed on a concert program? (Earlier this year in Sydney, we had a 'videogame music' concert, but on hearing that all the music would be from Japanese games, and fine game scores by Giacchino, Shore and others would be overlooked, I didn't bother going.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Now this gets dirty. Maybe we could open a thread in GAMES for this...?

yeah, my fault too, got carried away a bit too

I know Giacchino will do great by scoring Star Trek, but I wonder how on earth this movie will not turn silly with all those young so called replacements. I mean I grew up with those classic Star Trek movies, I loved the basic fights between Spock and Bones, I adored Scotty. How on earth will this come on screen and not make me laugh, giggle or offend me?

I truly wonder confused
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007 edited
    As some of you might know I've produced a couple of videos for Michael Giacchino over the years. Well, I finally got permission from the man himself to upload them to YouTube. Here is the first...

MERCENARIES MAIN THEME MUSIC VIDEO
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wkwXIPGA8H8

This video was intended to be used in the LucasArts video game, MERCENARIES. Unfortunately, at the last second, it was dropped from the game.

More to come...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007
    tonyndbutt? shocked

Aaaaaaanyway, I'm slightly confused: that IS the main theme on my CD.
    Was it just dropped from the actual game (i.e. still presented on the soundtrack CD) or did you upload the wrong clip?

Just asking,a s I never saw the game, so I don't have a clue.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    He means the video was dropped. smile
    Thx Erik!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A video in the game?
    Sorry, I must be a little dense: they thought to include this Making Of video as an extra with the game?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    tonyndbutt? shocked

Aaaaaaanyway, I'm slightly confused: that IS the main theme on my CD.
    Was it just dropped from the actual game (i.e. still presented on the soundtrack CD) or did you upload the wrong clip?

Just asking,a s I never saw the game, so I don't have a clue.

My video was suppose to be included in the game. But for some reason at the last second they decided not to use it. My other videos were used for the end credit roll or a secret video that you would earn while you play the game. My SWON video is on disc two of the soundtrack, BTW. Not sure how they were going to use my Merc video but it doesn't matter now.

-Erik-

PS - As for tonyndbutt... ya... I just started up a YouTube account, picked a dumb name but never thought I'd use it. So, when I did want to upload videos instead of creating a new account I just used my old one.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thanks Erik. I get it now. smile

...that SWON video is YOURS??? shocked
    That is WICKED! cool punk cool
    (See, THIS is why I like phyisical data carriers rather than downloads!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY MUSIC VIDEO
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_rt2a1Rmk

This video was used in the LucasArts video game, SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY. You had to complete a certain level of the game in order for you to watch it. The video was also included on disc two of the SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY soundtrack released by La La Land Records.

More to come...

-Erik-
  4. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    damn, I just wanted to comment something smile
    Oh well Giacchino Rules wink

Shameless attempt on the Top 10, isn´t it? wink

Agreed! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Tommy_Boy wrote
    hehe, it seems everyone is going for the top 10, why not me too? biggrin

I'm not really too bothered whether I stay in the Top 10...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    hehe, it seems everyone is going for the top 10, why not me too? biggrin

I'm not really too bothered whether I stay in the Top 10...

...or not!
  7. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Well, I´m holding #8, and I doubt I will get Erik, though it was quite close until yesterday. So it will be between me and Falkirk next. But I guess he´ll get me sooner or later.

I'm not too bothered.

Please refer to previous 2 posts! wink
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Well, I´m holding #8, and I doubt I will get Erik, though it was quite close until yesterday. So it will be between me and Falkirk next. But I guess he´ll get me sooner or later.

I'm not too bothered.

Please refer to previous 2 posts! wink

Sorry. Three posts.
  9. Hey, get off. Don´t bugger me so close, bugger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Erik Woods wrote
    SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY MUSIC VIDEO
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_rt2a1Rmk

This video was used in the LucasArts video game, SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY. You had to complete a certain level of the game in order for you to watch it. The video was also included on disc two of the SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY soundtrack released by La La Land Records.

More to come...

-Erik-

Erik, I've just watched "Liam Practices His Walking" - a wonderful video. Just watnted to say what a wonderful environment Liam is being brought up in. Did you add the music to the video? If you did, what is it?
  10. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Hey, get off. Don´t bugger me so close, bugger.

Sorry!

+1 wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    MEDAL OF HONOR: FRONTLINE MUSIC VIDEO
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHonMUpV47Q

This video was used in the EA Games video game, MEDAL OF HONOR: FRONTLINE. You could see this video during the end credits of the game.

One more left...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik, I've just watched "Liam Practices His Walking" - a wonderful video. Just watnted to say what a wonderful environment Liam is being brought up in. Did you add the music to the video? If you did, what is it?

The music is from LOST. Hurley's Handouts. That's Liam's lullaby (the score is hanging on his wall) and I thought it would be great to use underneath the walking video. Had to do some editing do to the videos length and I wanted the last piano chord to hit right when Liam's bum hits the ground.

Glad you liked it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    MEDAL OF HONOR: UNDERGROUND MUSIC VIDEO
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyybNDqM9R8

This was used a promotional video for the DreamWorks Interactive video game, MEDAL OF HONOR: UNDERGROUND. Michael kindly invited me to the sessions in Seattle so I armed myself with my video camera with the intention of just capturing my first recording session on video. About half way through the sessions I decided that I would take my footage and create a music video featuring the main theme as a way of saying thank you to Michael for the invite. This video ultimately led to more videos featuring the music of Michael Giacchino.

That's it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    ERIK!!!!!!!!!! punk punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    Allow me to come with a few of my infamous meta-comments here.

Here's a massive, 5-page thread on Giacchino and I've seen the same thing over at FSM. For some reason, this guy creates LOTS of responses and talk. He's a "hot potatoe", if you will. And I wonder why that is? I don't have any Giacchino soundtracks in my collection myself, but I've obviously heard a lot of his stuff in their respective movies or series. However, the only thing that really stand out is the LOST scores with that opening chord that is repeated in "dangerous" situations. Quite original in the series itself, but I'm not sure I would own this on CD. As for the other things I've seen with his music - THE INCREDIBLES, M:I3, a little bit of ALIAS and one of those computer game thingies several years ago....nothing really stood out to me. At least nothing that I remembered for very long afterwards.

This isn't really a criticism, but I wonder what it is about him that makes him so special? What is it about him and his music that creates all this discussion? It is because he's a controversial figure? Is it because he does a lot of "genre" stuff that pleases sci fi/action buffs? What?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris... if you don't mind... I'm going to copy and paste a post of yours from moviemusic.com deatiling why Michael Giacchino is easily the most talented of the new generation of composers.

"Michael Giacchino is easily the most inventive composer of the younger generation working out there today.

His musicianship, utter professionalism and talents are truly spectacular while he holds the highest possible technical level for all his compositions but simultaneously filtering it all through his vastly admirable capabilities for effective melodic creation and manipulation in ways rarely met today.

He is a man that doesn’t just underscore a scene; he’s a man that proceeds way beyond the surface, into the depth of the scene and its meaning, truly elevating it and really capturing the inner musical voice of each on-screen bit of visual he composes for.

As far as his musical approach is concerned, I’d say he’s one of the very few today who are really able to “turn back time a bit” and approach a movie truly thematically-centered, as opposed to the usual standard approach of 2-3 note motifs we get around these days, and the same time making his gorgeous themes sounding totally up to date, modern and genuinely melodic."

I couldn't have said it better myself.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Well, Erik the only thing you don't like about Giacchino is that Dan Wallin mixes his movie scores. wink
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007 edited
    Thor wrote
    I don't have any Giacchino soundtracks in my collection myself

Excuse me for being a slight ass here mate but that should answer your question. Give him time and space before you make up your mind.

Erik: no worries my friend, i was going to do so anyway if you hadn't; thanks! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Well, Erik the only thing you don't like about Giacchino is that Dan Wallin mixes his movie scores. wink

Yupper!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    He's not that bad. Although I do see why you complain about the French horns being mixed too low in The Incredibles, but perhaps that was intentional?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He's not that bad?!? The man's a friggin' genius!