• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I refuse to listen to the clips. I want the whole new and totally fresh experience in may. But you guys are making it very hard to resist. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    I refuse to listen to the clips. I want the whole new and totally fresh experience in may. But you guys are making it very hard to resist. cheesy

30 seconds each bud
    do it, we all know you will not be able to resist it wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2009
    DemonStar wrote
    Wait until Anthony hears this wink biggrin

I'm afraid I'm going to need more than that to get me excited.

I thought it would be more dramatic and serious...but it sounds quote over the top and fun. Err...still want. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hard to please much. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...also, I feel I need to remind you these are clips. Yuh, clips...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Honestly, I thought it was going to be a dead serious adventure score, but the clips sounded quite lighthearted. Granted they sounded good (Enterprising Young Men sounded terrific!) but I just expected something different.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm looking forward to it and will definitely be buying.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Honestly, I thought it was going to be a dead serious adventure score, but the clips sounded quite lighthearted. Granted they sounded good (Enterprising Young Men sounded terrific!) but I just expected something different.

You should have learned by now that what you expect from a score and what you actually get are two entirely different things. wink
  3. Hm... I don´t know what to say. It has exactly that dry sound I was afraid of, on the other hand, I could possibly fall in love with the new main theme over time, we´ll see.

But there´s no way this will replace TMP as the best Trek score ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

And unfortunately it's a burden it will always carry - which I think is a shame. I don't see this as something that might be better or worse than Goldsmith's score, I simply see it as the new Giacchino score for the new Trek film. Because that's exactly what it is.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    I simply see it as the new Giacchino score for the new Trek film. Because that's exactly what it is.

And that alone will make it awesome. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    I simply see it as the new Giacchino score for the new Trek film. Because that's exactly what it is.

And if they had chosen Tyler Bates? Would you accept that choice as easily, because it would be the new Bates score for the new Trek film because that´s exactly what it would be? Sorry, that is absolutely no argument at all. I NEVER would have chosen Giacchino for a Trek score. Based on the snippets, I´ll wait for my final judgement until May, of course, and as I said, I get used to the new theme, but hell, if I had to choose which of the big two scores I´m waiting for gets me more excited based on the first listens, I´d say there is no choice, and restart the Angels & Demons Sneak Peak.
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo

Hmm. I wasn't too impressed with these clips or HGW's Wolverine clips.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I NEVER would have chosen Giacchino for a Trek score.

How come?

EnemyToo wrote
    Hmm. I wasn't too impressed with these clips or HGW's Wolverine clips.

Yeah, curse those pesky 30 second samples...they didn't let me listen...to the whole score! tongue
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2009 edited
    Well I'm hoping to be more impressed with the full scores and how they function within their respective films, but this has definitely lowered my expectations for both scores.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    The Clips for Star Trek sounds awesome! Ordered.

With the Wolverine Clips... well.... not yet sure, if I'll go for that one... sounds expendable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009 edited
    Mmmm...

the first clip sounds a little bit like Ottman's Superman Returns .

The second clip, wich I presume, is Giacchino's theme for the new saga is a good power anthem

I'm expecting as hell this new Giacchino-abrams col.laboration.

PS:is it just me? or the music from the trailer is the synthetic version of the Giacchino's theme that we know are listening with full orchestra?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home/vi … ;s=Reviews

Michael Giacchino's majestic, powerful score lifts the film into the stratosphere with complex orchestral colours and the sound design is in the award winning class

There are many memorable moments, all enhanced by Michael Giacchino's dramatic and diverse music score
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Steven wrote

And if they had chosen Tyler Bates? Would you accept that choice as easily, because it would be the new Bates score for the new Trek film because that´s exactly what it would be? Sorry, that is absolutely no argument at all. I NEVER would have chosen Giacchino for a Trek score. Based on the snippets, I´ll wait for my final judgement until May, of course, and as I said, I get used to the new theme, but hell, if I had to choose which of the big two scores I´m waiting for gets me more excited based on the first listens, I´d say there is no choice, and restart the Angels & Demons Sneak Peak.

Actually it's not an argument, it's my point of view. If Bates had been chosen to score this new Trek film, then I would have been disappointed that Bates had been chosen. Though I would still listen to it as a new Bates score because I don't like criticizing scores for what they're not rather than what they are. It's a philosophy I live by in film music... and hopefully in many other walks of life. And yes, I completely admit I'm glad Giacchino has scored this new film, because I think Giacchino is an excellent composer and I feel as though he'll produce an excellent score. It has nothing to do with what I think a Trek score should sound like.

I just dislike that this new score has to be compared to work of near-genius. I think that is very unfair, and very elitist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'd like to listen to the full album first before I make any further judgements. So I guess I'll abstain from clips now wink
  4. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Hm... I don´t know what to say. It has exactly that dry sound I was afraid of, on the other hand, I could possibly fall in love with the new main theme over time, we´ll see.

Agreed. Listening to what was action music in one piece, I found myself bored. It sounded more like overhyped Immediate Music trailer music.

I suspected the score would be what it was, but I kept my hopes optomistic, since I enjoyed "The Incredibles" (I found the way he scored two scenes in that movie to be quite good indeed -- really enchancing the parts).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I'm sure its a really good score. Maybe not what people wanted, but I'm sure its good. And someone mentioned that parts sounded like Speed Racer. That makes me really happy, since I prefer his work on Speed Racer over a lot of his other scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Reminds me a bit of the music from Incredibles!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like the clips I've heard so far.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKing Rao
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2009
    Those clips are pretty boring (which isn't encouraging, as they're mostly action[!] cues) but I can tell that the biggest problem I'm going to have with this score is the main theme -- cause it is really really friggin' weak. It's anonymous and bland in a Trevor Rabin/Brian Tyler kinda way, and I think it's going to drag down the rest of the score.

Damn it. I really wanted to like this...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I knew there'd be someone. It's just a matter of statistical probability. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't like it either, but I haven't listened to the clips yet.

Perhaps I heard the complete score? Who knows, and who can confirm this?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin