• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    Listening to the score now (it leaked on the internet), and afraid to say I'm slightly disappointed.

Here it is for those who want to hear it (the whole play list is on the right):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsyEYqwo … mp;index=6

I quite enjoy the main theme, but the score as a whole seems very disjointed. Definitely doesn't hold a candle to Goldsmith's or Horner's scores. I don't know maybe it's just me, but take a listen for yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    one question..

what is the title of the piece of music heard in star trek trailers?

thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009 edited
    First thoughts:

- The sound is okay, because the sheer mass of the thing drowns the echo anyway, and what´s left of it is acceptable, but still, the final frontier sounds different in my book.

- Some tracks definitely manage to deliver a lot of cinemascope to the whole affair. Some make me feel LOST.

- The Main Theme IS a burner.

- The use of the classic tune during the end credits sounds forced, but is miles ahead of most reincarnations I´ve heard over the years.

- Some good action material, some surprisingly good choir material.

- The score NEVER delivers the same kind of epic feeling that the music from the trailers did. Most people around here will like that. I don´t.

- The score NEVER delivers the same kind of greatness Goldsmith did. Most people around here will ignore that. I don´t.

VERDICT: Itz okeh.

It is exactly what I thought it would be. Giacchino did his best to deliver a Trek score. Whether that best was good enough or not will depend on what people think of Giacchino in general. For me, this is a good Giacchino score, certainly one of his best, but for Trek, it´s just not good enough.

I will most probably come to like this one a bit more after giving it a couple of additional listenings, and even more after watching the movie. For now, I rank it somewhere in the middle, way below Goldsmith´s and a bit less below Horner´s achievements, and right beside, if not above, Dennis McCarthy´s (which, for me, is not a bad thing, since I find Generations not to be as abysmal as most people do). It is absolutely, without a doubt, better than Rosenman´s score. Eidelman doesn´t count because his score is something else entirely (something great, of course).
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Nautilus wrote
    one question..

what is the title of the piece of music heard in star trek trailers?

thanks

At least two of the trailers use music by www.twostepsfromhell.com It's from the "Legend" album.
  1. Jesus, that Theme is catchy. I´m unable to get it out of my head. This little sucker is a piece of genius. I´ll give Giacchino that, he may have created one of the best Trek Themes ever with this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As I said before, I love the clips and WILL be getting the CD. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Jesus, that Theme is catchy. I´m unable to get it out of my head. This little sucker is a piece of genius. I´ll give Giacchino that, he may have created one of the best Trek Themes ever with this one.

I'm afraid I'm unable to tell if you're being serious or not? I've heard the theme, and I must admit it's very brain-sticky, as a certain Belgian might say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I´m serious. Regardless of what else I said about chosing Giacchino, I said right from the beginning that the theme could work. It started to stick with me when I heard the clip from the movie´s webpage, and gripped me even harder when the four clips came out. Now after listening to the whole score, I can´t get rid of it, even if I wanted to.

BTW, I´ve ordered the CD, too (together with A&D). As I said, it IS a good score, even if I wanted something else for the resurrection of Trek.
  2. Steven wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Jesus, that Theme is catchy. I´m unable to get it out of my head. This little sucker is a piece of genius. I´ll give Giacchino that, he may have created one of the best Trek Themes ever with this one.

I'm afraid I'm unable to tell if you're being serious or not? I've heard the theme, and I must admit it's very brain-sticky, as a certain Belgian might say.

cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

When I first heard the theme I was dissapointed. I was expecting more complex, because it sounded like some Remote control power anthem..

Now, i'm addicted to that theme: I CAN'T GET OUT OF MY HEAD (Minogue said ).

And the last 3 descending notes makes Giacchino's theme very coherent with Courage-Goldsmith-Horner.

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kylie Minogue said "I CAN'T GET OUT OF MY HEAD" biggrin

Best laugh of today biggrin biggrin biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

When I first heard the theme I was dissapointed. I was expecting more complex, because it sounded like some Remote control power anthem..

Well it still sounds like a RC power anthem. Actually it could be from a Jim Dooley SOCOM saga score. Not that it is bad, but not great either.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Well it still sounds like a RC power anthem. Actually it could be from a Jim Dooley SOCOM saga score. Not that it is bad, but not great either.

But I'ts addictive as hell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

But I'ts addictive as hell.

Yes it is.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm no great fan of that theme. Probably the weakest main theme of a Trek score so far. I like the rest of the album though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Nautilus wrote
    And the last 3 descending notes makes Giacchino's theme very coherent with Courage-Goldsmith-Horner.

As a matter of fact, they are the same last notes as in the first "line" of Courage´s Theme. But it IS interesting that you got the very same feeling I did regarding to those notes. That´s why the whole thing not only FEELS a lot like Trek, it IS Trek (so much for the RC argument rolleyes - if there was any score in the last months that didn´t feel like RC to me at all, it´s this one).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    I'm no great fan of that theme. Probably the weakest main theme of a Trek score so far. I like the rest of the album though.

I prefer that theme than the Horner one. It's darker.

But Since Giacchino's theme seems to be the 75% of the album, I can't understand how you didn't like very much the theme and you like the whole album. rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    ...meanwhile I am still way more excited about Lost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

I like the theme, but it doesn't sound very 'Star Treky' to me. I think the music is great, a sort of typical Giacchino action score affair and an excellent structure to the album. But again, there's very little there that says "I'm a Star Trek score!"

I'm not really complaining, I'm over the moon with what Giacchino produced. But in the future when I'm in a Star Trek mood, I doubt Giacchino's score will be the first thing I go to.

(Anyway, this is all without having seen the movie. Knowing Giacchino, the score will fit the film like a glove.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    What about the "bad guy" (nero) motif, people?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh bollocks. I've turned into Nautilus. I have decided to reverse my opinion completely, in the space of two hours. I've decided I DO like the theme. Sounds more like a kind of teen adventure theme than a Star Trek theme, but then I guess that's what the film is. In all probability its youthful simplicity is exactly what's required.

I'm currently having a hard time separating the few visuals I've seen from the film, from that God-awful trailer music, which makes me heave every time I think about it. Hopefully I'll see the film soon so I can get that out of my mind. The reviews have been so overwhelmingly positive, it makes me rather hopeful indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Oh bollocks. I've turned into Nautilus. I have decided to reverse my opinion completely, in the space of two hours. I've decided I DO like the theme. Sounds more like a kind of teen adventure theme than a Star Trek theme, but then I guess that's what the film is. In all probability its youthful simplicity is exactly what's required.

I'm currently having a hard time separating the few visuals I've seen from the film, from that God-awful trailer music, which makes me heave every time I think about it. Hopefully I'll see the film soon so I can get that out of my mind. The reviews have been so overwhelmingly positive, it makes me rather hopeful indeed.

J.J Abrams is a genius, the battle ships seem to be amazing (What we was expecting for years in the new Star Wars movies) and expensive, and the reviews are highly positive.

So....

So when the score review james?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    ...when the score comes out maybe...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

J.J Abrams is a genius, the battle ships seem to be amazing (What we was expecting for years in the new Star Wars movies) and expensive, and the reviews are highly positive.

So....

May. I'm sure you already know what it will say.

(And if J.J. Abrams is a genius then I'm a Dutchman.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    J.J Abrams is a genius

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    Ha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote

Some Reviewers recieves promos from the label realease.

James is a reviewer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

James is a reviewer.

Not this early from Varese they don't... unless they have some sort of deal worked out with Colosseum or have access from someone else.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote

James is a reviewer.

Not this early from Varese they don't... unless they have some sort of deal worked out with Colosseum or have access from someone else.

-Erik-

I do get promos from Colosseum (via their British distributer, Pinnacle). It's very hit-and-miss. Sometimes they send about three copies of the same thing, frequently they don't send any. Sometimes they arrive weeks before release date, sometimes weeks after.
  3. Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Southall wrote

So....

May. I'm sure you already know what it will say.

(And if J.J. Abrams is a genius then I'm a Dutchman.)

Remember the overwhelmingly positive reviews of Mi3, or, to name another film where James saw the light that few others did, Spiderman 2. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Remember the overwhelmingly positive reviews of Mi3, or, to name another film where James saw the light that few others did, Spiderman 2. wink

I was trying to remember whether M:I 3 got positive reviews or not. But I couldn't. Another reason to remain cautious - but I think I've convinced myself I will go and see this.