• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010
    Nah, Pixar IS Giacchino wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LSH wrote
    Hmm, I was certainly expecting - or at least hoping for - Thomas Newman to get a look in here.

Me too. Both of his Pixar scores are outstanding (dare I say, better than the one which just won an Oscar).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And Giacchino's pixar films aren't outstanding? I'd not differentiate them, they're both fantastic at what they do, especially when it comes to pixar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw is pixar having anything coming up sooner than this john carter on Mars thingy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    And Giacchino's pixar films aren't outstanding? I'd not differentiate them, they're both fantastic at what they do, especially when it comes to pixar.

Ratatouille was outstanding. I can't imagine anyone else writing a better score for that. But I think Newman captured the magic better in Wall-E than Giacchino did in Up (which is still a decent score, just not an outstanding one - is there anyone who would seriously put it in their top ten of the year?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Btw is pixar having anything coming up sooner than this john carter on Mars thingy?

Toy Story 3!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    is there anyone who would seriously put it in their top ten of the year?

Me. My top favourite, in fact.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Ratatouille was outstanding. I can't imagine anyone else writing a better score for that. But I think Newman captured the magic better in Wall-E than Giacchino did in Up (which is still a decent score, just not an outstanding one - is there anyone who would seriously put it in their top ten of the year?).

Up was Top 5 for me! Did anyone seriously put Avatar on their Top 10 of the year or even seriously consider it as one of if not the best scores of the decade?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Big G is up for a new Andrew Stanton-directed Disney film, John Carter Of Mars.

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … r-of-mars/

now THIS I will look forward to.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Up was Top 5 for me! Did anyone seriously put Avatar on their Top 10 of the year or even seriously consider it as one of if not the best scores of the decade?

I'm sure there would be nobody so foolish!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm sure there would be nobody so foolish!

Well played! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Avatar was Top 1 for me last year. Up was not even in my top 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Avatar is IMHO the best score of the year!! biggrin and yes better than Up, for me anyway, not saying Up was a bad score, Up is a really good score but Avatar is better.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    keky wrote

Wrong!

moonie wrote
    Avatar is IMHO the best score of the year!! biggrin

Double wrong!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, UP is very enjoyable but i have to say AVATAR is more impressive overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, UP is very enjoyable but i have to say AVATAR is more impressive overall.

Good lord. It's amazing how Horner can brainwash the bunch of you.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    smile I am not saying it's best score of the year, but it's a damn good score. I don't see why we should compare them though, they're different beasts and up is also very enjoyable, especially in the gorgeous movie it accompanies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    smile I am not saying it's best score of the year, but it's a damn good score.

It's not even damn good. The Rocketeer is damn good! Star Trek II is damn good. The Perfect Storm is damn good. Avatar is a damn disappointment.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I wasn't impressed with Avatar (although it's enjoyable enough), but then I didn't like Up at all. If I'd had to choose, I'd have given it to Horner, because "you might as well".

I'm glad though enough people liked Giacchino's work enough to present him with the award.
    Hope it propels him to bigger and better things.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm sorry we're all "wrong" for enjoying Avatar more than Up. But anyone can attempt any kind of brainwashing they want - it's not going to change the fact that we do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Care to share your views with us, on UP? I thought it was very sentimental, melodic and aided the movie perfectly but that's just my opinion.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    keky wrote

Wrong!

moonie wrote

Double wrong!

-Erik-

Nobody can be wrong in their own personal opinions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    keky wrote

Wrong!

moonie wrote

Double wrong!

-Erik-

Wrong!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Back to Up (since this is the Giacchino thread after all!) - it won Oscar, Golden Globe, Bafta, Grammy, Chicago Film Critics, LA Film Critics - even IFMCA! It's probably the most-decorated film score in history (I don't think there is any other which can boast that roster - not Star Wars, not Ben-Hur, not Lawrence of Arabia). So - there must be someone here who thinks it's amazingly good and deserved all those awards. So just what about it makes it so outstanding? I ask in genuine curiosity.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    keky wrote

Wrong!

moonie wrote

Double wrong!

-Erik-

Wrong!

crazy cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    keky wrote

Wrong!

moonie wrote

Double wrong!

-Erik-

Wrong!

lol

Someone got it!

applause

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    So just what about it makes it so outstanding? I ask in genuine curiosity.

^Ditto

I honestly don't have any strong opinion on it.
    I just listened to it, seem to remember finding it a little fluffy and non-descript, I think, and consequently forgot all about it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    It has incredible emotional impact with a very simplistic approach, which makes it so special for me. Ellie's theme on piano was like the soul of the movie, especially the dialogue-less sequences where the music was the strongest driving force for the visuals. It has great action tracks, well done thematic development (it's remarkable how the cute-sounding Muntz' swing theme becomes a full-fledged action theme) and perfect individual themes for the characters. It may not be Star Wars or Ben Hur (neither was Avatar, in any way), but it's still a winner for what it achieved, IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I should probably have another listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's suffering from too-many-awards syndrome.
    A shame since it's a fine little score, and infinitely better than the Remote Control/Media Ventures stuff that people complain about.